HALO Hero?

CorPse

Re: HALO Hero?

I have some vehicles yet to do before I move on to the next topic. I'd like to do a full bestiary as I noted before. I'm going to finish the Ghost, then install the rest of it. The vehicles are going to get expensive, since all of it will cost END. I know the Ghost already has Lockout for its boosters, and probably Side Effect (1" back) plasma trail.

I need to study the Spectre more, build the Banshee & the Mortar Tank, and probably build that giant plasma tossing scorpion thingy. The one that intimidates me is the Pillar of Autumn/Halcyon Class, just because it's so darn big.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hunters (2nd Pass)

Summary

The Covenant Hunters, or Lekgolo by their own name, are more like living tanks than anything else. Hunters stand 12' tall, though in their combat state they crouch to approximately eight feet. Hunters fight with Fuel Rod Guns (there are two different types in Halo 1 and Halo 2) integrated directly into their armor. They carry an enormous and nearly-impervious metal shield made of an unknown alloy and as thick as the armor plating on Covenant Starships, which they sometimes use as a melee weapon. In Halo 2, the modifications to their Fuel Rod Cannon is similar to the modifications Cortana made on Ascendant Justice's weapons. The fire is more sustained, and more devastating.

Culture

Hunters almost never associate (or indeed even communicate) with other Covenant client races, save for the Elites. They are dismissive, scornful, and arrogant to the "lesser" Covenant races, and are utterly contemptuous of their foes. Hunters were forced into the Covenant by the superior starship technology of the Elites - on the ground they were almost, if not always, victorious. Faced with extinction by orbital bombardment, they joined the Covenant.

Hunters have three names: personal name, bond name, and line name. The personal name is given at birth. The line name represents the genetic heritage, being the name of the most successful Hunter of his ancestors. If a Hunter reaches a certain level of status, his offspring will have his personal name as their line name. The bond name is taken between bonded pairs, a relationship about which little is known, but it appears to be something like a lifelong partner. Bonded Hunters consider themselves brothers and are fiercely protective of each other. Examples of Hunter names include Igido Nosa Hurru, and Ogada Nosa Fasu.

Hunters are nearly never seen alone, and are very dangerous as they work in pairs. (they are also known to make a movement very similar to dancing when they cannot get into a space)

Frank O'Connor has said: "Hunter society is complex and we have seen but the tiniest fraction of it. There are some fundamental facts about Hunter biology that mean the combat type is just the tip of the iceberg."

Physiology

The Hunter is not a singular organism, but rather a hive creature composed of multiple small, orange, worm-like organisms that form a singular collective conciousness and act as one. Their armor has the dual purpose of both protecting them and maintaining body shape.

Hunters have very sharp, long spines composed of these worms, and are covered in metal armor. Hunters have been known to impale careless Marines upon these spines when surrounded.

It is theorized that Hunters reproduce asexually.

Being a collective mind might have the advantage of being immune from the Flood, no infected Hunter has ever been encountered so far. It would be very difficult indeed for a flood infection form to infect and take command of a entity composed of multiple individual minds.

10 STR +10

09 DEX +3

04 CON +2

10 BOD +5

05 PRE +10

Stats: 30

25 Hive Mind: Immune to Mind Control & Mind-Affecting Powers (10), Immune to Terrestrial Diseases (10), Immune to Toxins (5)

20 Uncommon Physiology: Power Defense 20; because the Hunter is actually composed of hundreds of annelids, it is nearly immune to being altered by any outside force - this include the Flood.

137 Hunter Armor:

60 Resistant Armor: Resistant Damage Reduction 50% vs. Physical Weapons, plus, Resistant Damage Reduction 50% vs. Energy Weapons

9 Armor: DEF 10, Hardened (+1/4);Does not protect locations: 5 (neck) 12 (abdomen) (from the front) (-1/2), Does not protect locations: 11-13 (from behind) (-1/2)

69 Fuel Rod Cannon: 6 1/2d6 RKA, Area of Effect (One Hex, +1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Indirect (Origin is always the attacker, always one direction, +1/4), (225 Active Points); OIF Armor Integrated, (-1 1/2), STR Minimum (15, -1 1/4), Charges (15 rounds, 4 clips, -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

8 Personal Shield: Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel), Activation Roll 11- (-1)

Disdavantages

20 Hunters! FALL BACK!: Seeing a Hunter is possibly the most terrifying thing a marine can do - covered in armor, spines, a shield & with a weapon capable of blasting his allies into the ground, they have good reason to be terrified. (Distinctive Features, Not Concealable, Major Reaction (Terror/Awe), Not applicable among Hunters & Prophets (even Brutes & Elites respect the Hunters)).

25 Loyalty of Convenience: The Hunters believe themselves to be a superior race to all others - with their advanced Hive Minds, powerful weapons & armor, the only reason they follow the Covenant is because of the perpetual threat of their planet being orbitally bombarded. They're loyal - but only as loyal as they have to be to maintain peace. (Very Frequently, Severe - Hunters are tough enough to be sent on Suicide Missions that nothing else could survive).

20 Does Not Play Well With Others: Hunters will not, unless forced, work with other groups. They mock everything else, including Elites & Brutes. They kill humans with the full knowledge that they're a lesser species who can be a nuisance - they don't recognize them as a sentient force, despite a few lucky wins. The Hunters do recognize & fear SPARTANS, specifically, Master Chief (Social Limitation, Frequent, Severe, not among other Hunters).

WF: Hunter Armor w/Integrated FRC

Total Package Cost: 192 points

With Disadvantages: 127 points

• 2 weeks later...

Did I miss any? OH, Brutes & Prophets. I'm going to put those together... probably on the bus or this weekend to finally round out the Alien Races. Then go back and revisit the vehicle section and get the Pillar of Autumn & Installation 04 built before embarking on finishing the Convenant Vehicles.

The Brutes, or Jiralhanae by their own name, are a race first encountered in Halo 2.

They are the newest race of the Covenant and have high aspirations. They became the Honor Guards of the Prophets after the High Prophet of Regret was slain by the Master Chief, resulting in the sacking of the Elites from this traditional role and their takeover, and protect them fiercely.

They have thick, gray skin, and are covered with matted, brown or white fur-like hair. They have very sharp teeth and sometimes use them as a weapon. They are immensely strong (to the point of overpowering SPARTANs in MJOLNIR armor in hand to hand combat, at least in raw strength if not skill) and fight hand-to-hand if they ever lose their weapon. They seem to prefer to use a weapon called the Brute Shot that fires high-velocity grenades and has a long blade on the underside of it which they use for melee attacks in close range. They have their own version of the Plasma Rifle as well. The Brute Plasma Rifle is red, rather than blue, fires red blobs of plasma, and twice the normal rate of fire. The Brutes are strong and can survive without energy shields. Brutes appear to be immune to the Flood as their skin and fur may be too thick for Infection Form to penetrate.

Examples of Brute names are Tartarus, and Bracktanus.

The Brutes have a primitive cultural structure, and are split into tribes called "packs", all led by a single "Chieftain". The way a Brute moves up in rank or stature is unknown, but it is probably similar to that of the Elites.

Brutes have a high dislike for the Elites. They believe that they can protect the Prophets better than the Elites. This dislike led the beginnings of the Covenant civil war that started in October of 2552.

Covenant Brutes

20 STR +20

06 DEX +2

10 CON +20

10 BOD +20

05 PRE +10

Stats: 72 points

10 Trained Combatant: All Brutes have 10 points in Martial Manuevers. Their martial arts style uses the following core manuevers (manuevers are not detailed because I'm not sure of the rules on posting full manuevers - if someone can fill me in, I'd be happy to put them up, martial manuevers are listed at the end of this write-up).

16 Brute Rage: As Berserk Fury in Fantasy Hero.

10 Life Support: Immune to Terrestrial Disease (the Flood)

14 Natural Armor: 4 rPD/2 rED plus 5 Power Defense

Disadvantages

15 Hatred of the Sanghelii: Brutes loathe the Elites and believe themselves superior in every way, both martially, and in their ability to protect the Prophets and bring the Covenant to the end of the Great Journey. (Common, strong)

10 Superiority Complex: The Brutes see themselves as being superior to everyone else around them, especially the Elites. This is manifested as a Rivalry: Other Covenant Races. (Professional, Seek to Out-do/Embarass, Rival is Aware of Rivalry).

10 Psychopathic Bastards: The Brutes have a reputation already among the Covenant for zealotry and an inability to think clearly under duress. Whereas the Elites were trusted leaders, the Brutes terrify the lesser ranks of the Covenant with their snap decisions and lethal rages. (As Social Limitation: Untrustworthy (Frequent, Major, Not limiting among Brutes).

15 Terrifying Visage: The appearance of a Brute is enough to shake a hardened Marine, and get the attention of any nearby Covenant as well. (Distinctive Features, Not Concealable, Major Reaction (Fear/Respect), Not Applicable in Brutish Culture/High ranked Covenant (Elites/Prophets)

20 Loyal Until Death: Brutes follow a similar code to that which was espoused for the Marines in the film A Few Good Men. - Unit, Core, G-d, Country. Or for them, Unit, Chieftan, Prophets, Journey. They will always think in that order, and they will never vary from their appointed duties willingly. (Very Frequently, Major).

Total Disadvantages: 122 points

Total Package Cost: 47 points

Standard Issue Equipment:

Brutes are issued Armor, Brute Shots, and Brute Plasma Rifles. Their preferred weapon is the Brute Shot, which they can bounce with surprising ingenuity. Brutes have been known to get crafy and intentionally miss a target to his a more viable target behind them, such as a vehicle or target of opportunity.

Martial Art: Brute Force

Martial Block (4 pts)

Crush (4 pts, must follow grab)

Strike (4 pts)

Grab (3 pts)

Joint Break (5 pts)

Shove (4 pts)

KS: Brute Force

WF: Brute Shot (see: Covenant Weapons for full write up)

• 3 weeks later...

I have now seen the HALO 3 trailer. SWEET CRYING BABIES. That was... intense. I want. For those of you who also would like to see the new trailer, you can likely either DL it, or if you have an Xbox 360 (and possibly an Xbox, I didn't test it on my old black reliable) you can purchase the new OXM - it's on the disc.

Good disc, too.

The Prophets. Possibly the least interesting of the Covenant Races, and since I only boss-battled one two or three times, not terribly interesting to write about, either. However, to round out the Covenant Races, here they are for the sake of completion:

Little to nothing is known about the Prophets. What we do know is that they are the species that started the Covenant with the Elites, and are the religious leaders of the Covenant.

It is theorized that the Prophets actually originated on a world that was once home to a Forerunner colony. This comes from several sources including recorded and translated transmissions. This may be the reason that the Covenant revere all Forerunner artifacts, and it is for this reason that the Covenant seem to have such advanced technology, because they have been using the remains of Forerunner technology.

The role of the Prophets, for as long as can be recalled, is to archive, explore and locate Forerunner technology and artifacts. These intelligent, highly evolved beings are physically weak, hence their need for Elite allies. The pact allows the Prophets to advance their search through conquest and occasionally assimilation of species whose homeworlds or solar systems contain Forerunner architecture or technology, often disregarded by the resident species. Prophet ceremony and purpose is not generally known to the Covenant population, most of which simply trust in their wisdom to further the goals and territory of the Covenant.

Rather than have "names" in the traditional sense, most Prophets are instead simply referred to as "Holy One", "Eminence", or some other religiously significant title.

Prophets seem to be divided into two groups: High Prophets, and Lesser Prophets. High Prophets seem to be referred to in a more reverant manner by the other Covenant races than Lesser Prophets. The High Prophets have titles such as "High Prophet of Truth", while the Lesser Prophets do not receive such titles as far as is known.

Note: As metioned in the novel First Strike, the Prophets (specifically Truth) appear to have telekentic powers. It is unclear if this is an actual ability or some form of technology that involves gravity manipulation.

Prophets

05 STR -5

11 DEX 3

07 CON -6

12 INT 2

14 PRE 8

Perk: Covenant Hierarch (3-5 pts). There is no one higher ranked among the Covenant than the Prophets; the least of them hold command over any other Covenant nearby, and the highest command entire battle fleets. It's entirely possible that this perk is under-priced for the amount of clout that a High Prophet would have; you could reasonably put it at 7 or 8 for the forces at their disposal (i.e., a Battle Fleet).

Gravitic Shift: 20 pts. TK w/Fine Manipulation, nature unknown. I'm not sure how I want to do this; however, since they're clearly pirating Forerunner tech., I'm leaning towards the idea that each one has some sort of Gravitic Manipulator built into their chairs - a lot of the physical hits I gave them are based on the fact none of them WALK anywhere.

Focus: GravThrone. The Gravity Throne that the Prophets ride in is Forerunner based. They also seem (IIRC) to have a shield function, again, which I'll build in later on.

Psych Lim: Irrational Pursuit of the Great Journey (Common, Total, 20).

Hunted: By the UNSC (Very Frequently, As Pow, Kill/Capture, 10 pts).

I think I want to polish some vehicles next. But now I have a deadline. Also, trolling through Halopedia brought up additional unit types I hadn't yet identified and of course, I still need to do the Flood. I have yet to figure that one out.

Ah, well, thank you DCC. All rep & appreciation are welcome. I know the thread gets some hits, but I think this project has definately taken on a "doing it for the sake of doing it." Originally I was working on it because someone asked about it - then it sort of took on a life of its own. I still have things left to do, including package deals & armor, additional vehicles and what have you, but overall it feels like it's finally coming together.

What I'm also hoping to do is set up enough fan-fic & history in a document that I can give it to Aroooo easily so he can post it to SHFD. That's the end goal, as it were.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally stuck. I've been mulling this over & over. I think I'll email Bungie and get the straight dope. Here's the dilly-o, for those who are wondering why I haven't updated in... like... a month.

The Flood (eep)

I knew going on this would be the hardest thing to model. Here's where I'm stuck. The Flood are an airborne pathogen, effectively, who "transform" you into Flood. Your only defense is self-contained breathing/appropriate LS (if you're a Hunter or a Brute, you are immune to Terrestrial Disease, which are what the Flood qualify as).

If I model it as a pure Transform:

60 Flood Form: 1d6 Transform, target into Flood, Gradual (+1), Continuous (+1), NND (+1, Defense is Appropriate Immunity/Life Support)

This is the most basic level of the template; is it an AOE? Does it only happen when the Flood pop and you stay in an infected hex? AND! Better! According to HERO, I cannot build a Transform without a Reversal! You can't get 'unflooded,' which asks a new question: is it better to model it as an RKA and then slap on the SFX "comes back as Flood?"

Input appreciated, I'm freakin' stuck.

That "popping?" That's how it transmits. That's the part I can't figure out. I believe, based on what 343 Guilty Spark said in HALO, "You're lucky you have environmental protection, otherwise the Flood would have broken down your basic structure by now!" Or a rough equivalency to that, said on Level 6, "The Library." I'm under the impression that the whole thing gets into the air and contaminates an entire area, but the Flood itself is also sentient. That its the galaxy's most highly evolved microbial parasite.

Which is about the toughest thing I've had to model to date. You can check Halopedia.org to see if you can cough up something different. I'm still trying to figure out who over at Bungie to pester.

See, when reading the literature, I was led to believe that the (primary, at least) vector for infection was when the little infectors stuck tentacles into your central nervous system and began to take over your body.

Interesting to note, the Sarge is immune to infection, because he once used about two or three CRATES of plasma grenades in a row (to good effect), and it gave him a rare neurological disease that inhibits infection. It could easily be treated and cured, but that would make him susceptible to infection, but if it remains untreated, it will eventually kill him.

Someone would have to boost your REC to the point that you could beat out the Continous, NND Transform.

In the Haloverse, that isn't possible, yet.

So, there is a game mechanical way of doing it, and it even gives the heroes something to work towards... finding some device to do this.

Ah, ah, but like a microbial version of ALIENS, once you're consumed, you're done. The Flood eat you, destroy your internal organs and take you over Borg style connecting you to the Gravemind (or other local ultra-Flood form). So you're gone. Reasoning from effect, then.

- HKA, NND (Life Support, Immunity to Disease). Oddly, that almost works. Your NND defense in this case is "immunity to disease" or in Sarge's case, "neurological disease," if indeed they enter through the body with their little tentacles. Infection form.

So what REALLY needs modeled is the Infection form's Transform. Which is a Killing Attack. Cause you're dead. Good enough. Further (sheesh) it'll have to pick up "Variable Effect, Mind, Body & Spirit, +1" - although I'm not sure how to model that part.

I think I found something HERO doesn't do without a handwave.

Check Wikipedia. You're dead. Your neck is snapped and you die. Your body is transformed and you get carted around like a puppet by the infection form - so you are very dead (that's my impression based on the text). I think the correct "model" is an HKA linked to a Summon, with the Summon built as 'variable forms' so it can summon either a combat form or a burster form.

Always, but I think you're onto something, again, reading Wikipedia, it's clear that the Flood do "steal knowledge" from their 'host,' which is where the limitation "Only Hosts Skills, -1/2" or a VPP or some such comes in. Did I remember to ask how do you "steal a skill?"

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished (in one sitting, sucking it down until I got brain freeze from the frosty artistic goodness of it) Halo: Graphic Novel (HGN for short). Amazing. Absolutely amazing. Moebius is one of my favorite artists - I adored Silver Surfer: Parable and think I still have my copy somewhere. It certainly gave me the edge I was looking for. I hope to get something finalized for this on the bus and have a write up next weekend (this weekend I have company). If I don't post it, PM me and harass me, but the ideas are just about done.