Trigger question

Silbeg

The following is question I asked of S.Long on the rules questions... however, I am still a bit confused on things... so...

see http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42547

------

Ok, this may be obvious... but I am confused (again).

1) If a power is bought with a trigger, can the power be used without the trigger? Now that I think about it, probably not... but...

2) Alternatively, could the "non-triggered" use be a second trigger type?

An example power I am trying to model are flash-bang grenades that can be thrown normally, or may be set up with a trip-wire.

3) If #2 is not legal, would creating the trigger as a "Naked Modifier" be a "legal" way of managing this?

I have also been confused by the "Berserk Strength" writeups, but also hadn't noticed the "Character does not control activation of personal Trigger" adder to Trigger. Has always seemed to me that there should be a -1 NCC limitation on it... but that seemed excessive as well...

Comments? Suggestions? Unexplained spontaneous rectal-cranial inversions?

Re: Trigger question

If it is a set Trigger (the one that defaults to a value of +1/4), I would say you cannot use it normally without adding another explicit Trigger condition that lets you do so. If it is a variable Trigger (the one that defaults to a value of +1/2), that might reasonably include it given the SFX/other definition, I'd say you can define the Trigger as simply, "right away." IOW it is probably reasonable to allow a variable-trigger power to be used, "without the Advantage."

For flash-bangs, or any other sort of explosive that may be thrown or set up as a trap of somekind, I almost always write up as a normal Attack with a Naked Advantage: Trigger (variable).

For Berserk Strength, there are a number of possible write ups. What it comes down to for me is now much control the player has over the use of the Power. I couldn't care less how much control the character has, because the character doesn't control anything. All of his actions are up to the player. If the player can decide when the character "loses control" or "goes berserk", then the extra STR that goes with it is in no way NCC.

Good point, Raven...

Ok, for a specific power, I guess...

18 1) And the Crowd Goes Wild!!: Aid 1 1/2d6, Can Add Maximum Of 15 Points, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action to reset, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; Very Noisy Environment; +1/2), Sound Battery, Projected Sound (Reserve), Sound Blast, Riding The Soundwaves, simultaneously (+1) (49 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2)

In this case, Soundwave (the character in question), is a sound absorber, who can reproject the absorbed sound. In loud environments (no, neither he character, nor the player [me] can really control this) he gets more powerful. He also has a dependency on ambient sound, so in quiet environments (library quiet, basically), his powers start draining away.

The thing is, he can never use the Aid power above on his own. Once his powers have been boosted, he can use them at will, however.

I am thinking that this is probably done correctly...

Good point, Raven...

Ok, for a specific power, I guess...

18 1) And the Crowd Goes Wild!!: Aid 1 1/2d6, Can Add Maximum Of 15 Points, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action to reset, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; Very Noisy Environment; +1/2), Sound Battery, Projected Sound (Reserve), Sound Blast, Riding The Soundwaves, simultaneously (+1) (49 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2)

In this case, Soundwave (the character in question), is a sound absorber, who can reproject the absorbed sound. In loud environments (no, neither he character, nor the player [me] can really control this) he gets more powerful. He also has a dependency on ambient sound, so in quiet environments (library quiet, basically), his powers start draining away.

The thing is, he can never use the Aid power above on his own. Once his powers have been boosted, he can use them at will, however.

I am thinking that this is probably done correctly...

A neat build. I would have done it differently, but only out of simplicity. Instead of Aid, I would have just had all of the appropriate Powers be partially limited (15 Active Points of which with the Limitation: Only In Very Noisy Enviornments (-1). I have no idea which is more efficient or even takes up less space on the character sheet, but this way you aren't rolling dice everytime someone yells at you.

A neat build. I would have done it differently' date=' but only out of simplicity. Instead of Aid, I would have just had all of the appropriate Powers be partially limited (15 Active Points of which with the Limitation: Only In Very Noisy Enviornments (-1). I have no idea which is more efficient or even takes up less space on the character sheet, but this way you aren't rolling dice everytime someone yells at you.[/quote']

Standard Effect is your friend ... sometimes. ;)

A neat build. I would have done it differently' date=' but only out of simplicity. Instead of Aid, I would have just had all of the appropriate Powers be partially limited (15 Active Points of which with the Limitation: Only In Very Noisy Enviornments (-1). I have no idea which is more efficient or even takes up less space on the character sheet, but this way you aren't rolling dice everytime someone yells at you.[/quote']

Haven't really done the number crunching, but it would probably be more efficient to have partially limited stuff. However, I am sort of trying ot prove a point... for example, that a 10d6 can be effective... and perhaps even that a hearing flash can work, too...

As our current GM put it... he had no problem with me spending more points for less power. ;)

And othertimes you're just better off buying an extra 15 points of EB with Extra Phase and x2 END...

Sometimes this is true. However, I really did want him to operated with a 10DC attack as his norm. Part of the appeal of the character is the sliding scale, and the versatility he gives me.

Another complication is that his EB is in a MP, and the Aid is in an EC... so just slapping in additional dice is a little trickier (unless his MP was also limited)...

Here is the MP:

52 Sonic Projection : Multipower, 65-point reserve, (65 Active Points); all slots Does Not Work In Vacuum (-1/4)

8m 1) Sonic Blast: Energy Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points); Does Not Work In Vacuum (-1/4) 5

5m 2) Sonic Shriek: Hearing Group Flash 10d6 (30 Active Points); Does Not Work In Vacuum (-1/4) 3

2m 3) Sonar: Active Sonar (Hearing Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) (20 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Visible (-1/4), Does Not Work In Vacuum (-1/4) 2

4m 4) Sound Amplification: Hearing Group Images x8" Radius (+3/4), +6 to PER Roll (40 Active Points); Set Effect (-1), Does Not Work In Vacuum (-1/4) 4

1u 5) Sound Absorption III: Invisibility to Hearing Group (10 Active Points); Does Not Work In Vacuum (-1/4) 1

2u 6) Silence Field: Darkness to Hearing Group 4" radius, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Does Not Work In Vacuum (-1/4)

4 Speech: Hearing Group Images Increased Size (4" radius; +1/2), Power Can Draw END from Character or END Reserve (+1/4) (9 Active Points); Requires A Sonics Skill Roll (-1/2), Set Effect (Speach only; -1/2), No Range (-1/2) 1

What' date=' your friends never drop over unexpectedly and start eating your food and drinking your beer? ;)[/quote']

Naw. They are always expected... ;)

Maybe I should just post the entire character...