VPP with XTime

Threnody

Howdy.

A gal in our group has an idea the GM ain't sure how to handle. So she got me to ask you all.

The char. has a VPP, and (to start) no skill with it. Now that usual means it takes 1 Turn to 1 minute to change the points round. But this char. takes 5 minutes.

Question is, how much limit does she get? The -2 from the Extra Time chart? Or -1/2 cause that's the diff from 5 minutes to 1 minute on the chart? Or -3/4 cause that's the diff from 5 minutes to 1 Turn?

Me, my GM, and the gal making the char. will be thankful for help. :)

Re: VPP with XTime

Howdy.

A gal in our group has an idea the GM ain't sure how to handle. So she got me to ask you all.

The char. has a VPP, and (to start) no skill with it. Now that usual means it takes 1 Turn to 1 minute to change the points round. But this char. takes 5 minutes.

Question is, how much limit does she get? The -2 from the Extra Time chart? Or -1/2 cause that's the diff from 5 minutes to 1 minute on the chart? Or -3/4 cause that's the diff from 5 minutes to 1 Turn?

Me, my GM, and the gal making the char. will be thankful for help. :)

Keeping in mind that I'm at work right now and don't have my book to read up on this before I answer, I would say that you would get the -3/4 for the time from 1 turn to 5 minutes. My reasoning is that the limitation should cover the difference in how the power is built compared to how the player is taking it. I'm choosing the 1 turn because I'm a nice GM, others may say to start at the 1 minute.

I'd say a -0. Really, once you are at the 1 Turn + of required Time, you are out of combat, and there isn't much difference between one minute and 5. If it were an hour or more, I could see it being worth something, but in this case, from what you've said, I'd say it's not worth anything.

I'd say a -0.

I'd agree. As I recall, 5E says that at its base a VPP must be changed out of combat, taking between a turn and a minute...

For me, the key phrase is 'out of combat' and not anything having to do with timing.

Remember that a limitation must be limiting to provide its bonus. If the GM is planning on making an issue of the jump from 1 to 5 minutes, then maybe it might be worth something.

Now, if the character has to concentrate for the whole time she's shifting her pool... use concentration... but I'm rambling on after already having made the point I wanted to make after starting my post, so I should consider ending my diatribe before people start to notice and as a result of the useless meandering, stop paying attention to the real and profound point that I originally made before I started on this senseless...

Cheers,

-k

I'd say take the difference between a minute and five minutes on the Extra Time Chart, so long as there aren't other Limitations on how/when the character can reallocate (if there are, I'd just call it an extra -0).

It's all well and good to say, "out of combat is out of combat," but if you do have things happen out of combat, that difference can be significant. Racing the supervillain to the bank? Have time to switch your VPP before you get there? It all depends on GMing style, but in general I would stick with the standard assumption that a level down the Time Chart is a level down the Time Chart, and is worth something.

Also, if the character now or later buys a Skill for reallocating in a combat situation, I would still have the Limitation affect the time it takes; it should make it take correspondingly longer. Find the Limitation value that has a difference from a Full Phase (I believe that's the default, un-Advantaged time it takes to switch a VPP with a Skill roll) that is equal to or greater than the value of your Limitation.

I'd say take the difference between a minute and five minutes on the Extra Time Chart, so long as there aren't other Limitations on how/when the character can reallocate (if there are, I'd just call it an extra -0).

It's all well and good to say, "out of combat is out of combat," but if you do have things happen out of combat, that difference can be significant. Racing the supervillain to the bank? Have time to switch your VPP before you get there? It all depends on GMing style, but in general I would stick with the standard assumption that a level down the Time Chart is a level down the Time Chart, and is worth something.

Thanks! I told my GM what folks said, and she agrees with me this is the right POV. Special since she runs a lot of "will the heroes get there in time?!" stuff, so the diff from 1 minute to 5 can be real important.

Thanks to everyone, even those with an opposite POV. All the thoughts were worth reading. :)

Also, if the character now or later buys a Skill for reallocating in a combat situation, I would still have the Limitation affect the time it takes; it should make it take correspondingly longer. Find the Limitation value that has a difference from a Full Phase (I believe that's the default, un-Advantaged time it takes to switch a VPP with a Skill roll) that is equal to or greater than the value of your Limitation.