Thoughts on The Avengers.

Mark Rand

I can't help it. I like the Avengers. It's, for the most part, a good book and a wonderful team.

However, I'm not a big fan of the Marvel Universe. It's gone through so many changes that I don't know what end is up anymore.

Additionally, I want to be able to use the Stargate, from Stargate SG-1, in the campaign if I so desire and that means there can't be any knowledge of beings on other worlds.

I want to use a historical Arthur, not a mythic one.

I don't want Bush in the White House.

I want to "god-like" heroes, like Thor, Isis, Solara, and the valkyries to be either avatars or people with high-tech weapons.

Lastly, I want it to be cool for myself and my players.

Re: Thoughts on The Avengers.

Well, file off the serial numbers and make it your own universe.

If you can't be bothered renaming everyone, cut it off at some point in time that you are happy with. It would be quite possible to run a wonderful Avengers/Marvel campaign that was rather strictly based on the Lee/Kirby/Ditko period, for example.

I'm not a huge fan of bringing outside elements like the Stargate in to non-homage settings, but you could easily make Reed Richard's portal to the Negative Zone into something similar. Or, I suppose, you could just stick it in directly, since there were occasions where licenced properties were bolted on to the MU. Rom the Spaceknight was one of these, IIRC. Just don't get carried away with this and stick half a dozen incompatible settings together and call it the Marvel Universe.

You can twink with history and cosmology all you like. Nobody is stopping you.

One thought with the "Avengers-ness" of it all: who are the PCs going to be? That is, are the players going to be playing the Avengers, or characters of their own? If the latter, how much are they going to be interacting with NPCs from the MU? Could the latter be replaced by other (your own) characters?

In other words, why not develop your own Avengers-like setting?

Re: Thoughts on The Avengers.

My thought was to take the Avengers, drop them into the San Angelo Universe, and have the PCs be their West Coast Branch, which is based in San Angelo.

Since there are no real gods, Thor and Hercules would be avatars.

The Black Knight would be the decendent of someone who rode with Ambrosius Aurelianus and Gwenhwyvar, the historical Arthur and Guinevere.

This section added later: It would also be possible to create an Avengers-like team for the San Angelo Universe and left them have branch office teams in various parts of the country.