Not Quite WWYCD: "Dude, you stole my shtick!"

Weldun

Hermit's question got me thinking, and I'll admit that I'm stumped. Here's what my reply was...

The Spector would have a conundrum. As a long time masked-man, he has appeared since the 1860's. The problem is there have been decades between his periods of activity, and each time, some new aspect of his metabolic control powers has surfaced.

In the 1860's he was the fearless man. In the turn of the 20th century, he could regenerate. In the 1st and 2nd world wars, his adrenal boost ability let him lift over a ton. In the 60's and 70's, he returned from Okinawa with a firm mastery of Karate. In the late 80's his Hyper-boost made him a modest speedster. People don't know that it has been the same man each time, and he's reluctant to let the world know. This "Imposter" may simply be someone who has "taken up the mantle", so to speak.

How to prove that he is the true and rightfull bearer of the title, The Spector...?

As you can see, I didn't actually answer the question. I stated the added complications for the character, but not what my character would do. The problem is, I don't know, and I suspect that my GM lurks these boards for ideas. So, err... :help:

Re: Not Quite WWYCD: "Dude, you stole my shtick!"

Only, this would be the first time there have been two individuals with the same costume (contemporary formal wear, black leather gloves, and a red hood with black diamonds over eyes) going by the name, The Spector. Not to mention that The Spector has on every continent, except Antarctica. Not to mention the embroidered, silk hankerchief that he leaves behind as an ego signature. If the other Spector is doing this, it'll really grate.

The problem is, how to prove that you are the One-True, when people think it's been at least 5 other people before you?

Well' date=' the comic books typically handle this kind of situation in a Ranma 1/2 kind of way. The two rival claimants punch each other and the one who goes down first has to change his name.[/quote']

This is why I can't wait for the Champs Universe's two Thunderbolts to have their moniker-showdown ... because T-Bolt II is vulnerable to T-Bolt I. Should be a short fight. :)

Well' date=' the comic books typically handle this kind of situation in a Ranma 1/2 kind of way. The two rival claimants punch each other and the one who goes down first has to change his name.[/quote']

It might work. But if my character loses, he has to change his name after close to 150 years of hero work.:thumbdown

Short of revealing to the world his true identity and that he's an immortal hero (probably a bad idea if he has DNPC's), the best way to deal with this conundrum is to carefully avoid playing him in campaigns where this might happen. :D

The irony is that if this were actually to happen, the "imposter" might honestly believe he's just picking up the Spector's mantle of heroism to continue the legacy, since most people undoubtably believe the Spector has been numerous individuals over the past century and a half.

It's amuzing how people keep posting to your thread to restate your question to you.

I think it would be cool to go find this person. Secretly follow him around a bit, get the 411 on him. If he is actually heroic, reveal yourself to him. Take him/her under your wing, make them a contact,hell, why not a follower? Like Batman and the league of foreign Batmen. It's always good to have someone who believes in you.

The irony is not lost on me' date=' in fact my original post refers to it directly. In fact, it clearly makes the situation even worse. But the conundrum is what to do about it, yes?[/quote']In this situation the real Spector needs more information. So a visit to the "imposter" seems mandatory in order to determine whether this is indeed a well intentioned copying of your schtick or something less admirable. It might be an attempt to cash in on the name, or it could even be a trap for the Spector.

Personally, unless the new guy is likely to cross the original's path regularly or bring dishonor to the shared name, I'd just let him keep it. Now the Spector can terrorize criminals in two places at once! You'd probably never be able to prove you're more "real" than the other one is; especially since you get new powers on a regular basis. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :)

Now we're getting somewhere. Rage, I like the idea of taking the "fake" under tutelage, provided they are up to scratch of course. Trebuchet, you have two very good points.

1. Having 2 Spectors around might be usefull. For one, every time the true Spector comes out of retirement, he has to rebuild the trust of the public, and of the authorities. He has to regain the fear and respect of his foes. So, the appearance of a second Spector would mean that there's something new and exciting about doing so this time around.

2. The Spector has had different powers each time (At least to public perception). The only way to prove that he was the true Spector would be to diplay all the powers.

Extra Info on The Spector.

The Spector is a mutant who was born in Kentucky, in 1844. He served in the Confederate army during the 2nd American Revolution, and during this, he discovered his amazing ability to supress his fear response. He also began to note that he was needing less food, water and sleep than his fellow soldiers, an ability that is the present day means that his daily biological needs are now weekly. During the period immediately following the war, he began to face off against bandits and renegade soldiers as a masked man that the journalists dubbed the Spector. Over the decades, he has discovered that he has the ability to manipulate his metabolism in various ways, and studied Okinawan Karate from a old foe from WWII.

Investigation is definitely the way to go. There are likely to be possible explanations beyond homage or impersonation. What if he's a time-travelling future version of you? With amnesia? Plus the usual evil twin from an alternate unverse scenarios.

But the real kicker is, what if your metabolic control powers have spontaneously expanded to allow you to regenerate from very small tissue samples, and he's thus a 'clone' of you?

These are things I'd want to find out about, in such a situation. Then I could decide how to respond.

But the real kicker is' date=' what if your metabolic control powers have spontaneously expanded to allow you to regenerate from very small tissue samples, and he's thus a 'clone' of you?[/quote']

Seeing as my original post mentioned that I think my GM may lurk on these boards, you are an evil, EVIL individual.:D

Option - play up the public assumption that there have been multiple versions of the character.

"We in the Society of the Unlit Eye would like to thank you for your homage to our Chosen Champion. However, we regret to inform you that you are not, at this time, eligable to wear the mantle of the Spector. However, if you wish to join our Associates program, feel free to drop us a line."

If necessary, you could 'prove' your legitamacy by revealing information that could be known only to the previous Spectors. Not necessarily damaging information, of course - perhaps something innocuous, such as the specifics of a certian fight, or something.

This assumes that the character is doing the Homage thing for a good reason, of course. If they're doing it just to cash in on the image or to lure your character out into the open, you may have an issue.