Is this a mistake?

Basil

I've been reading through Mm&Mm (Masterminds & Madmen), and have for the second (I think) time come to a reference I think might be a goof.

On p.120, in the sidebar, is "...looking...in the Middle East, a tall blonde human named Eichmann." Earlier (sorry, I don't remember the page) is another refrence to an adventurer-type Nazi named Eichmann.

The only Eichmann I know of was a death-camp commander, and not likely to be traipsing around the world; also, I get the feeling the ref.s in Mm&Mm are not supposed to be to a historical person.

However, in Pulp Hero (page 395-397) is the NPC Oberfuhrer Hermann Eichenwald. Is the "Eichmann" of Mm&Mm supposed to be Eichenwald, or am I missing something? Clarification would be appreciated. :)

BTW, in Pulp Hero, p.187, the map shows Ethiopia with a coastline. My hasty research says that in 1935 the area we now know as Eritrea was an Italian colony. Have I looked in the wrong "sources"?

Re: Is this a mistake?

I've been reading through Mm&Mm (Masterminds & Madmen), and have for the second (I think) time come to a reference I think might be a goof.

On p.120, in the sidebar, is "...looking...in the Middle East, a tall blonde human named Eichmann." Earlier (sorry, I don't remember the page) is another refrence to an adventurer-type Nazi named Eichmann.

The only Eichmann I know of was a death-camp commander, and not likely to be traipsing around the world; also, I get the feeling the ref.s in Mm&Mm are not supposed to be to a historical person.

However, in Pulp Hero (page 395-397) is the NPC Oberfuhrer Hermann Eichenwald. Is the "Eichmann" of Mm&Mm supposed to be Eichenwald, or am I missing something? Clarification would be appreciated. :)

BTW, in Pulp Hero, p.187, the map shows Ethiopia with a coastline. My hasty research says that in 1935 the area we now know as Eritrea was an Italian colony. Have I looked in the wrong "sources"?

Yes, it's a mistake. Men are blond, women are blonde. Only gender inflected adjective surviving in English that I am aware of.

Yes' date=' it's a mistake. Men are blond, women are blonde. Only gender inflected adjective surviving in English that I am aware of.[/quote']

I didn't even know that...I've seen both spellings, but never connected them with one gender or the other. Huh. Thanks, McCoy; interesting tidbit.

1. There are, I'm pretty sure, many, many people in Germany with the last name "Eichmann." If we ever want to refer to a specific historical person that way (and you're right that we don't, generally), we'll make it plenty clear. ;) However, the reference on MM 120 is clearly supposed to be to Obersturmfuhrer Eichenwald. The other reference, on MM 149, isn't clear one way or the other.

2. I've seen some maps that mark Eritrea separately and some that don't; Keith apparently preferred the latter sources.

The blonde or blond thing got me curious so I got out my dictionary and looked it up. Here is what it said.

Usage Note: It is usual in English to treat blond as if it required gender marking' date=' as in French, spelling it [i']blonde[/i] when referring to women and blond elsewhere. But this practice is in fact a relatively recent innovation, and some have suggested that it has sexist implications and that the form blond should be used for both sexes. An association of hair color and a particular perception of feminine identity is suggested in phrases such as "dumb blonde" and "Is it true that blondes have more fun?"

1. There are, I'm pretty sure, many, many people in Germany with the last name "Eichmann." If we ever want to refer to a specific historical person that way (and you're right that we don't, generally), we'll make it plenty clear. ;) However, the reference on MM 120 is clearly supposed to be to Obersturmfuhrer Eichenwald. The other reference, on MM 149, isn't clear one way or the other.

2. I've seen some maps that mark Eritrea separately and some that don't; Keith apparently preferred the latter sources.

1. I think I saw an "Eichmann" before p.120. I'll have to review Mm&Mm carefuly some time soon.

2. Perhaps he was using maps from 1936 or later; Itally conquered Ethiopia in 1936 and administered it and Eritrea as one unit thereafter. (Yes, I've done more research since my first post and can state that Eritrea was a separate entity in 1935).

Please don't waste your time looking. One of the neat things about having the manuscripts in various e-forms is that I can search them electronically. The only two uses of the name "Eichmann" in the book are the ones already listed, unless for some reason Andy decided to insert the word right before the book went to print. ;)

Yes' date=' it's a mistake. Men are blond, women are blonde. Only gender inflected adjective surviving in English that I am aware of.[/quote']

That's gotta be one of the more interesting facts I've seen on the NGD. I had no idea that distinction was made. That's a truly rep-worthy contribution.

Please don't waste your time looking. One of the neat things about having the manuscripts in various e-forms is that I can search them electronically. The only two uses of the name "Eichmann" in the book are the ones already listed' date=' unless for some reason Andy decided to insert the word right before the book went to print. ;)[/quote']

Oh, of course you have it in e-form. :slap forehead: Sorry for doubting you; I should have thought of that myself. Probably found it on p.149 when skimming through the book.

Mea culpa' date=' mea culpa - they should both be 'Eichenwald.'[/quote']

OMG, you mean I missed one of your 10,000+ typos/errors when I proofed this thing for the gazillionth time? :eek:

And how appropriate that it should be a German name, since I am The Grammar Nazi.

Mary Ann

Wife of Disbelieving Author