My First Power; Feedback Appreciated

MattyHelms

I'm finally taking the plunge into Hero as my game of choice. If I'm going to learn the system, I'm going to have to learn to design powers. Here's my first attempt. Please note that it was designed with Sidekick since the Big Book of Hero scares me.

I remember hearing that yo-yos were originally weapons, so I was curious what could be done with one. It could only be done one trick at time, so it sounded like a Multipower to me. Comments about power level and such are appreciated, since I'm not sure what would be over- or under-powered for a low- to average-level supers game until I get some more experience with the system... Oh, any yo-yo trick names would help too!

60 Magic Yo-Yo: Multipower, 60-point reserve

3 Trip and Tangle

Effect: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF

Target: One Character

Duration: Instant

Range: STR Based

END: 6

Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), Range based on STR (-1/4), (Real Cost 27)

3 Shield

Effect: Force Wall 10 PD/10 ED

Target: Varies

Duration: Constant

Force Wall (10 PD/10 ED, up to 5" long and 2" tall) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), Range based on STR (-1/4), (Real Cost 27)

1 Around the World

Effect: Swinging 12"

Duration: Constant

Range: Self-Only

END: 1

Swinging 12" (12 Active Points); OAF (Yo-Yo) -1

3 Yo-Yo Strike!

Effect: Energy Blast 12d6 against PD

Duration: Instant

Energy Blast 12d6 (against PD) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), Range based on STR (-1/4), (Real Cost 27)

Total Cost: 70

Thanks,

Matt

Re: My First Power; Feedback Appreciated

Matt,

Pretty cool ideas. Don't be "scared" of the big book...it has lots of ideas. I haven't (and won't) do the calculations for you, but the yo-yo is probably and obvious, accessible (or inaccessible) focus, worth +1 (or +1/2) discount on cost of the multipower. Also, the range may be a bit long...perhaps only the adjacent hex or 2 hexes, but I am not a yo-yo expert (that may be worth more points, but it is "magical" so maybe the distance is VERY impressive.)

Finally, why is duration instant for the first power? It would seem that it would be in effect until you call up a different effect.

Best regards,

Kofi

I don't think you need Gestures. The Focus you have should cover it. Just like a sword is bought with Focus and it is understood that you have to swing the thing; you don't also put Gestures on it. [EDIT: Actually I guess the Force Wall and Swinging might qualify for Continuous Gestures since they are Constant Powers, but I think I'd at most give them the difference between Continuous Gestures and Non-Continuous Gestures, since Focus really implies gesturing anyway--or that you can't gesture because you are already using something with your hand.]

By the way, since all of the yo-yo powers have the Focus Limitation, you can also apply that Limitation to the Multipower Reserve. If it is all one yo-yo, then the Reserve gets the same OAF as the slots. If each of the different yo-yo powers uses a different yo-yo, then the Reserve can take an Obvious Inaccessible Focus, since it is harder to take away the entire Multipower from the character. Anyway, that'll bring down the cost a bit.

Ouch! Pretty painful yo-yo magic there!!! :):thumbup:

DUDE! I just posted my famous super yo-yo on another thread!

Anyway, here it is again so you can compare:

Yo-Yo

Hahahahaha! What are the chances? BTW - Your yo-yo rocks! "The Nutcracker" for your EB is a riot!

ahnen - The duration for Entangle is listed as Instant in Sidekick. Like other attack powers, I guess it happens in an instant, but the effects last.

prestidigitator and ahnen - there's nothing about putting advantages and limitations on the reserve in Sidekick, but the concept does make sense - looks like that will be part of my slow upgrade to the full book.

Thanks,

Matt