Discovered "Gotchas"

Silbeg

Recently, I have started to compile a listing of rules "gotchas" that we seem to be always looking up, or have never quite gotten right.

They are located on my Discovered Rules page. Please feel free to check them out.

My question is, what rules have you "discovered" that are surprising to you, or that you have to keep looking up session after session?

Re: Discovered "Gotchas"

I keep overlooking/forgetting two of the rules on your list actually. The throwing damage/throwing range thing is one. I get the game balance thing, and I can even overlook the issue of physics in favor of more dynamic action, but if you can increase the distance of the throw by reducing damage, why can't you descrease the distance of the throw and increase damage? It might not be fair, but it would be consistant. At the moment, the throwing for extra range rule is inconsistant with every other rule concerning how much damage you take after moving so many inches (Move Throughs, KB, etc.).

The other is the thing about Find Weakness. Even though you buy one Find Weakness, you have to choose which defenses you're looking for weaknesses in when you make the roll, and hope the target has those types of weaknesses.

I can't think of any others naturally, since they haven't just come up and bit me in game. I'll come back and post any that do during next weeks game though!

Re: Discovered "Gotchas"

Note: when the GM calls for a PER roll, this is an action that takes no time. When a player asks to make a PER roll (other than the above), this is a Half Phase Action. and grants a +1 bonus to the PER roll. If the character takes a Full Phase Action and goes to 1/2 DCV to make a PER Roll, they get a +2 bonus instead.

The most important point about PER checks is that if after all of the modifiers have been added together the modifier is a bonus, characters automatically detect it unless something unusual is going on. This is explained on 5er page 353, and is one of the most overlooked rules that I know of in the game.