Heroic vs Superheroic

Re: Heroic vs Superheroic

You can do what the super-nerds do, and organize them by SKU. You can do what we reasonable folk do, and organize them alphabetically. You can decide for yourself how to organize them, which to me makes the most sense. In essence:

Q: "How do I organize the books on my shelf?"

A: "However you'll find them most quickly, or most aesthetically pleasing, depending on which half of your brain is doing the decorating."

Heroic: my best suggestion is to take a gander across the various forums for what you want to do, and post in those threads "Hey guys, what works for you to simulate (insert your notes here)." Kind of like, "I, say your name here, pledge alligience..." Where's my helm? Oh yes.

More importantly, though, it's sitting down and asking yourself, possibly something as simple as making a list, what has to be 'in' and what should never be in, whatever you have in mind. But don't think in terms of POWERS. This is the critical failing for most people starting in Hero. They'll think "Aha! So, no Energy Blasts then!" Which is a slippery slope. Energy Blast is a POWER that can manifest a nearly infinite number of EFFECTS. A tranq dart can be built as an Energy Blast (Stun Only). Someone with lead-weighted arrows can declare it a low-grade Killing Attack that does Extra STUN.

Point being. Don't think in terms of powers, think in terms of design. Then, once you have the look and feel, you can start saying "Okay, so this mope has a gun (scribble scribble RKA 1d6 1/2, clips (12 rnds 4 clips) extra reload time (awkward design) doubles neatly as a club (heavy) somewhat inaccurate (inherent -1 RSL because of same awkward design)." Great! The mope now has a fairly crappy gun that he can slug people with. All well within the guidelines of a 'heroic' world.

Am I making sense? Rambling? The key to everything (as I'm sure has been said) is reasoning from effect. It applies to what goes into your world just as must as it does to how to build your powers.

I'm going to get the pizza now.