GM Question: Social Equity

jkwleisemann

Re: GM Question: Social Equity

HAS the Human Torch ever blown up a bus full of school children??

Im about to start a game set in 1986, where the equivalent of Mutant Hysteria is going to play a alrge role in the goings on. However, the way Im going to set it up, theres a Master Villain, who is going to start the whole "Metas are the FUTURE and WE will REPLACE YOU!" (Muahahahaha!) ball rolling, and the PCs are going to be dealing with that. However, its going to be a bit more "low key" than in marvel, where the good Metas and the bad Metas will fight each other, but the general public isnt quite going to know wahts going on. If theyre lucky, the PCs may get the chance to completely dead-end the Master Villain's plans for worldwide armageddon, and prevent the whole Anti-Meta thing from even happening.

However...

The founder and leader of the team is supposed to be smart. Maybe including some non-Metas in the team would be a good idea...

Sort of like... let's say you walk into the office and say, "Hey, co-workers! I'm a mutant!" and then make yourself glow for a second for effect. After the initial shock wore off, it's kind of like walking into the office and announcing that you're a transvestite, then briefly showing off that garter belt you have on under your slacks. Kinda of a weird thing to do, probably socially unacceptable, might get you reprimanded for causing a scene (though, in the mutant situation, you'd probably get in less trouble, since I'm sure that flashing a garter belt probably qualifies you for some sort of sexual harrassment allegation), but not something that would get you hurled out the 12th story window by an angry and fearful mob.

Then again, in a world where 'mutants' can do everything from glow to control your mind your coworkers might wonder which end of the scale you are on. Sure maybe you only glow, but maybe that glow is radioactive any you've just given them all enough rads to make them sterile. Can anyone really be sure? "Perhaps it would be better for everyone concerned if you found another job, one where you don't potentially endanger people with your radioactive powers. You understand don't you".

This isn't an odd reaction for most people. 'Odd powers' translates in most minds as 'potentially dangerous powers', the 'mutant' might be perfectly safe, but do you really want to risk it? What if he doesn't know how dangerous his powers actually are? Are their tests for these kind of things.

Actually walking into your office and announcing your a mutant is more like walking in and announcing your HIV Positive during the 1980s (when people thought you could catch it from sharing the same bus seat) than announcing your a transvestite. Trannies, while weird, don't have the potential of killing you accidently.

Of course admitting your a 'mutant' isn't the only thing that could elicit this reaction. Anyone with powers that poeple can't understand (be they from mutation, alien DNA, eating weird pizza, whatever) would get the same treatment. A good reason for keeping your powers secret is your continued employment in any area but 'super-law-enforcement/soldier programs'.

Of course admitting your a 'mutant' isn't the only thing that could elicit this reaction. Anyone with powers that poeple can't understand (be they from mutation, alien DNA, eating weird pizza, whatever) would get the same treatment.

But with the mutant you get the added thrill of knowing that at any moment a 40 foot tall robot could demolish the building to get at him!

Of course admitting your a 'mutant' isn't the only thing that could elicit this reaction. Anyone with powers that poeple can't understand (be they from mutation' date=' alien DNA, eating weird pizza, whatever) would get the same treatment. [/quote']

Personally, I never discuss my pizza preferences with my co-worker. ;)

I know of noone building machines capable of detecing a "Gay Gene" ....

Then you're not watching the science news. Try a google search for "gay gene" and you'll find quite a few articles on the subject of scientific studies trying to pin down a genetic basis for homosexuality.

To be honest, if I lived in the Marvel U ... the idea of being, eventually, replaced by the next natural evolutionary step as Homo Sapiens becomes extinct wouldn't bother me, in and of itself.

The only problem would be those guys who are trying to jump the gun on the process and kill me ahead of schedule.