What do I need to run a good supers game?

Direbadger

Hey folks!

As a newbie trying to run a supers (and a fantasy game) what books do I really (practically) need to run a good game?

I currently own:

5ER

Sidekick pdf

I was thinking of one or two of the following:

Champions

Champions Universe

Until Super Powers Database

Hero System Combat Handbook

Ultimate Martial Artist

How "indispensable" are these titles? What does Champions have that isn't in the core book? I like writing a lot of my own setting details, is there really any need for Champions Universe? If I pick up HSCH do I really need UMA too?

Thanks!

Re: What do I need to run a good supers game?

Indispensible... you don't need any of them. Of that list, I'd say UMA and Champions are the first two to get, if you can get your hands on UMA.

Going off that list - VILLAINY AMOK! Villainy Amok above UMA by far, for Champions.

What sort of campaign are you looking to run though? If you're looking to run a Champions game, using the (well-developed) Champions Universe, obviously CU moves ahead of UMA.

If, on the other hand, you're just looking to run a super-powered romp, you can get away just fine with only 5ER. The other books you need really depend on the sort of game you want to run beyond that.

And Champions includes a lot of handy resources for those unfamiliar with running superhero games or characters, including stuff to use for setting material and a random superhero generator that actually isn't entirely terrible.

If, however, you're on a budget, and want to get material quickly... don't underestimate the value of old 4E books and such. I've got dozens of 'em that I still reference regularly, right along with my 5ER material.

You might want to stick with:

1.Champions

2. Until Super Powers Database

3. Until Super Power Database 2

4.Hero System Combat Hand book

Ultimate Martial Aritst is a little hard to find for the moment, so HSCH would really help if you can't get UMA.

You don't need Champion Universe at all if you are not playing the "Official Universe." Its cheaper to make up your own stuff.

And trust me, The CHAMPIONS Sourcebook is invaluable.

Hope this helps.

Hey folks!

As a newbie trying to run a supers (and a fantasy game) what books do I really (practically) need to run a good game?

I currently own:

5ER

Sidekick pdf

I was thinking of one or two of the following:

Champions

Champions Universe

Until Super Powers Database

Hero System Combat Handbook

Ultimate Martial Artist

How "indispensable" are these titles? What does Champions have that isn't in the core book? I like writing a lot of my own setting details, is there really any need for Champions Universe? If I pick up HSCH do I really need UMA too?

Thanks!

Champions -- a good overview of the superhero genre. It really has nothing in the way of new rules.

Champions Universe -- the overview of the "official" universe used in many Champions products. If you are designing your own world, it can be useful for ideas.

UNTIL Super Powers Database -- an excellent collection of pre-built powers for a large collection of special effects. Even if you don't use the powers directly as written, they can inspire ways of building powers that you might not have thought of. One of the most useful books published for 5th Edition.

HERO System Combat Handbook -- is just a collection of the 5th Edition combat rules combined with some combat-related rules from various other books. Note that this not include the various martial arts styles from UMA or the rules for building your own martial maneuvers.

Ultimate Martial Artist -- a collection of many real world and fictional martial arts styles with a number of new martial maneuvers not found in the main rulebook. It also has rules for creating new martial maneuvers. Technically, this book is out of print, although a few remain in stores (including I think, a few in the online store). It is also available as a PDF. It is not currently scheduled to be reprinted because, while an excellent book, sales of it as a reprint do not warrant keeping it in print.

I also highly recomment Villainy Amok which covers a variety of common comic book plots with advice and twists on running such plots.

Indispensible... you don't need any of them. Of that list, I'd say UMA and Champions are the first two to get, if you can get your hands on UMA.

Going off that list - VILLAINY AMOK! Villainy Amok above UMA by far, for Champions.

Seconded! Esp. Villainy Amok which should probably be your next purchase.

Champions is a genre book, and you might want to define the genre you and your players want before you buy. Do you want Golden Age? Silver Age? Bronze Age? Iron Age? Something else entirely?

Depending on what you pick, Dark Champions the Animated Series or another book might be better for you than Champions.

The campaign I was going to run would be a modern super hero game largely inspired by the various X-men comics and spinoffs of the 80s and 90s, as well as some of the newer iteration of Marvel comics like Ultimates and Ultimate X-men. The recent release of X-men movies will probably fuel the imaginations of the players quite a bit.

I envision mid-level supers dealing with not only bad guys but societal problems as well.

I won't be using standard Marvel characters or the Marvel universe, but I will be borrowing ideas heavily.

You might want to stick with:

1.Champions

2. Until Super Powers Database

3. Until Super Power Database 2

4.Hero System Combat Hand book

Ultimate Martial Aritst is a little hard to find for the moment, so HSCH would really help if you can't get UMA.

You don't need Champion Universe at all if you are not playing the "Official Universe." Its cheaper to make up your own stuff.

And trust me, The CHAMPIONS Sourcebook is invaluable.

Hope this helps.

Another book you might consider obtaining is Gadgets & Gear. It's not an

absolutely critical book to have, but for a mid-line supers campaign, it can

be a very handy resource. With what you currently have, the above

listed books (perhaps a couple of the other suggestions), and your

imagination, you're pretty much good 2 go with a backpack full of ideas.

Larry

I *think* the Champions will work best for that, but you might want to wait for a couple more replies to make sure. X-Men = bronze age comics, IIRC, and I think Champions covers that, but I don't actually own that book.