Random SF Science Questions

austenandrews

Re: Random SF Science Questions

Then came a scene that showed all of Cybertron' date=' from space. And a VERY distinct atmosphere haze a good distance out from the surface of the planet. This other guy and I suddenly turned and looked at each other and said in unison: "Scale height!!!!"[/quote']

:rofl: OK, you win. You are more of a geek than me. ;)

(though I would have thought about scale height with a bit of prompting)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's Cybertron' date=' a planet that transforms into the Death Star or something?[/quote']

Cybertron is the home planet of the Transformers. (At one time it was a factory world built and run by the Quintessons, and the Autobots and Decepticons were two different lines of robots produced for sale around the galaxy... "domestic" and "military" models, as it happens. Eventually the robots held a revolt and kicked the Quintessons off the planet, making it their own.)

The planet-sized Transformer that ate planets for fuel in the movie was Unicron.

Cybertron is the home planet of the Transformers. (At one time it was a factory world built and run by the Quintessons, and the Autobots and Decepticons were two different lines of robots produced for sale around the galaxy... "domestic" and "military" models, as it happens. Eventually the robots held a revolt and kicked the Quintessons off the planet, making it their own.)

The planet-sized Transformer that ate planets for fuel in the movie was Unicron.

But you have to admit it is confusing when almost every noun in that -verse ends in "-on"

Having said that, I will admit I enjoy re-watching the Transformer movie almost as much as Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. You gotta love a world-eating robot planet that sounds like Orson Welles.

But you have to admit it is confusing when almost every noun in that -verse ends in "-on"

Having said that, I will admit I enjoy re-watching the Transformer movie almost as much as Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. You gotta love a world-eating robot planet that sounds like Orson Welles.

Oh, absolutely! All the various "-on"s can be a bit confusing. (Side note: most of the "bad guy" groups and such had names that ended in "-on", while most of the "good guy" groups didn't. But the name of the home planet of both the good guy Transformers and the bad guy Transformers ends in "-on". Hmmm.)

And as cheesy and so on as the Transformers movie is, it remains one of my all-time favorites. :)

Guest Schwarzwald

Do they ever explain why alien robots transform into a single Earth vehicle each? Or is that one of those "why don't the stormtroopers hit anybody?" questions?

When the original transoformer's vessel crashed on earth and was inert for a long time, it got reactivated in the late 20th century. The computer, teletran 1, launched probes to explore the planet and found modern machines, which it refitted the transformers to transform into to fit into earth society, having mistaken the machines for lifeforms.

The computer was damaged and unable to tell decepticon from autobot, and refitted both.

That sums it up pretty well. We did get to see the original Cybertronian versions of a few of the Transformers on both sides during the early part of the first episode of the original cartoon series, but only a few of them.

However, that's major thread drift. :)

Some questions that always haunted me from the original series...

Why did Megatron transform into a gun for Starscream to fire? Didn't Starscream have his own weaponry? Also, if Megatron needed a putz like Starscream to be effective, how did Megatron ever become leader of the Decepticons?!?

(My apologies for driving this thread even further off the tracks. :P)

Guest Schwarzwald

Some questions that always haunted me from the original series...

Why did Megatron transform into a gun for Starscream to fire? Didn't Starscream have his own weaponry? Also, if Megatron needed a putz like Starscream to be effective, how did Megatron ever become leader of the Decepticons?!?

(My apologies for driving this thread even further off the tracks. :P)

Actually I think soundwave fired megatron on occasion, and soundwave was a lot more loyal than starscream.