Power Design

oberon

OK, folks. Am trying to design a new character, and want a little help with one of the powers.

The character is a higher dimensional being who interacts with this universe by creating a simulacrum from available matter. It will have a number of matter-manipulation powers, but one I want some input on is Duplication.

Basically, it is limited in just how much matter it can manipulate at one time (about the size of an adult human). Therefore, while it can divide it's conciousness to control multiple duplicates at the same time, it only has so much mass to divide between them (more duplicates, the smaller each one becomes).

So, assembled HERO experts, please throw some ideas my way as to how you would model such an ability.

Thanks

oberon

Re: Power Design

I'd probably just give each duplicate Shrinking with No Conscious Control. Persistant and Trigger advantages may need to be applied as well, depending on how you work things.

In this way, when there is only one of them it is at full mass and size. When there are two however, the Shrinking kicks in and they are both at half mass and size. Just make sure the amount of Shrinking lines up with the max number of Duplicates.

I'd probably just give each duplicate Shrinking with No Conscious Control. Persistant and Trigger advantages may need to be applied as well, depending on how you work things.

In this way, when there is only one of them it is at full mass and size. When there are two however, the Shrinking kicks in and they are both at half mass and size. Just make sure the amount of Shrinking lines up with the max number of Duplicates.

You could make it Physical limitation too, I imagine.

What I am having the problem with is that I want the reduced size to be more of a disadvantage than anything (each duplicate will be smaller and weaker).

It just goes against the grain to use a +1/4 to +1 advantage (Altered Duplicates) to simulate a disad :).

And since Shrinking has positive as well as negative effects, you can't use Side Effect.

Linked Shrinking would work, but I will have the same issue with Density Increase, and to buy Linked Shrinking for those 2 powers, and then Shrinking on it's own as a seperate power, well it will all be a tad expensive in the end, and has the same issue of spending points to buy what should be a disad.

I guess I might just have to bite the bullet and choose one.

oberon

Something I did with one character of mine who did something similar (Duplication with Density Increase to simulate the fact that one of him was rather brick-like, but when he 'split' himself into several less-dense duplicates, he was weaker) was just to set the base strength (and related stats) low, then buy the increased strength/defenses/DI with a custom "Reverse Linked" disad that set a limitation that he could only use one 'level' of each of the powers for each level of duplication he didn't take.

The size could then be set as a special effect of the limitation.

I see a couple of ways to do it. The easiest way to get approved it so use the limitation side effect on the duplication power. I think that get's messy though.

What I'd do is make a few duplication powers and put them in a multi-pool. I know duplication is a special power and not normally allowed in a multi-pool, but if the only power you have in the multi-pool is various duplication builds, I doubt you'll have problems getting it approved.

Now, I may not be understanding you correctly. The way I read (and I think you could have been clearer, as we all seem to be guessing) it is that the character is assummed to have a man size amount of matter, and he can either use all of it for a strong duplication, or use all of it to create many weaker duplications. If so, then the multipower is the way to go.

Another option ight be to build the character in his smallest, most split up form. Then give each "duplicate" the Combining power (a limited version of Multiform detailed in Ultimate Metamorph).

For the recrod, if you do go the duplication route you should not need altered duplicates if you are just making lower powered versiosn of yourself. Altered Duplicates is usually only invoked when 25% or more of your character points are being spent in a different way then the base character. If the base character is 700 pts and the duplicate is only 350 but otherwise has almost all the same powers (at lower levels) that SHOULD NOT require the altered duplicates advantage.