Elemental Control Variant

Rkane_1

Re: Elemental Control Variant

Look at the the triple AP' date=' Penetrating RKA's I am getting for touching on the beloved Block maneuver![/quote']

I think this is stating it too strongly. The maneveur in question is hardly "beloved", it's simply another component of the core rules, and a staple of the common combat moves. It's one of the most basic actions one can take. Making it very complex ruins this appeal ;)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is stating it too strongly. The maneveur in question is hardly "beloved"' date=' it's simply another component of the core rules, and a staple of the common combat moves. It's one of the most basic actions one can take. Making it very complex ruins this appeal ;)[/quote']

So your saying it was only Double Penetrating, Double AP? *smile*

So your saying it was only Double Penetrating' date=' Double AP? *smile*[/quote']

No. If I wanted to continue a running joke, I would do so with complementary word choices. I responded seriously because I mean this seriously. The level of reaction you encountered was not due to an irrationally strong attachment to Block, but the criticism of a balanced, acceptable component.

I stated that it was fine for cinematic games which most HERO games are but I wanted a grittier, more realistic variant. The seriousness to which it was responded to was frankly a little over the top. Just like now. If I am making light of it, the fact you seem incapable of doing so in response indicates you may be taking it a little too seriously.

Its a game. We all have our favorite parts of it and we all have things we'd like to change. I have mine, you may have yours. Its a simple past-time that has our imaginations engaged and that we like to use. That's all.

It isn't deeply held religious or political beliefs. It's a game. A GREAT game, but a game none the less.

I asked for input on a variant that I had an idea for and got a lot of feedback. Not all positive but I took what I asked for and did with it what I could. Its over now. You still beating the dead horse? Or can we laugh about it and move on yet?

:dh:

:bigsmile:

The seriousness to which it was responded to was frankly a little over the top. Just like now. If I am making light of it' date=' the fact you seem incapable of doing so in response indicates you may be taking it a little too seriously.[/quote']

The responses were also influenced by your demeaning manner; just now, for instance, you insinuated that by declining to follow your lead in joking about this, I am implicitly deficient.

Its over now. You still beating the dead horse? Or can we laugh about it and move on yet?

I would not have commented on the matter, save for that you seemed intent on continuing to portray others as having severely over-reacted. Humor is fine, using it to disguise a personal agenda can and should be expected to result in people who respond to the agenda rather than play along in pretending that nothing serious has been said.

The responses were also influenced by your demeaning manner; just now' date=' for instance, you insinuated that by declining to follow your lead in joking about this, I am implicitly deficient.[/quote']

Or perhaps maybe taking things too seriously.....maybe....ya think? Robyn....please lighten up, already. I am demeaning NO ONE.....AT ALL. What I was hoping for was a little levity and moving on, already. We're big kids here. Not children. So lets all play nice already.

I would not have commented on the matter' date=' save for that you seemed intent on continuing to portray others as having severely over-reacted.[/quote']

Like continuing to persistantly be rude and snippish when I am trying to lighten the mood. Yeah.... I wouldn't know of anyone doing that here though. :)

Humor is fine' date=' using it to disguise a personal agenda can and should be expected to result in people who respond to the agenda rather than play along in pretending that nothing serious [i']has[/i] been said.

What exactly "serious" *HAS* been said? I must have missed something.

Hmmm...maybe you are reading some of your own agenda into what I am trying to do. I just frankly came here for some good discussion about the game that I like and to talk with others who like the same game. I have some ideas I think are worth some merit but not more than anyone else's. I asked for feedback on a couple of ideas. Some were positive and some were resoundingly negative. All in all, its been an interesting trip.

Frankly, I am trying to get along, but you are acting a little rude right now, especially after I was all smiles and contentment and joking around. So please break this off, already. This serves no purpose. I am getting tired of this and feeling besieged. Continuing this serious and accusatory tone only serves to further alienate me. If what I did was so wrong that I needed to be kicked off the boards for it, then I would have been. You aren't the person in charge of that so if you have a complaint about me, please see them.

If someone wants to hang out and shoot the fluff, then lets kill some time in talking about positive things with Hero, already.

If someone just wants to be mean, snippish, or hostile; well, its not making me look bad at all. Just that person.

Meanwhile, I am on the top of the world, feelin' like a king. :king:

Nothing can break me of that. :D

Nothing but good times. :celebrate

So....chill, Maynard. :ugly:

Hmmm...maybe you are reading some of your own agenda into what I am trying to do.

You have a vested interest in shifting the view of that situation from "their responses were justified" to "their responses were an irrational overreaction". Hence "agenda". Counter-accusations bear little weight here since I am not invested in the matter.

I am trying to get along' date=' but you are acting a little rude right now, especially after I was all smiles and contentment and joking around. So please break this off, already.[/quote']

The contented smile of a cat who has the cream, perhaps. Joking around isn't funny when you use it to get in another last word. It's all very well and good to say "break this off" then.

I am getting tired of this and feeling besieged.

May I humbly suggest, then, that you consider why so many people are "besieging" you? Perhaps it might serve you better to take into account their feelings, as well, so we treat you as you wish to be treated of our own accord, with no resentment for the courtesy.

If what I did was so wrong that I needed to be kicked off the boards for it' date=' then I would have been. You aren't the person in charge of that so if you have a complaint about me, please see them.[/quote']

There are many levels of behavior in between "perfectly polite and innocent" and "must be banned". Calling in the Moderators for every little thing about someone else's manner that happens to annoy us would be wasteful, and (to my view) the very idea reeks of tattle-tailing. The very first response I take to such things, as a mature adult, is attempting to reason with the individual myself. Personally. No "appeal to higher authority", to remove someone who merely makes me uncomfortable; just me and them, in front of the community.

I really, sincerely, and very earnestly wish to reach some sort of accomodation with you so that we all do get along in perfect happiness. It would only be if I made several different efforts in that direction, all meeting with failure (with much time having elapsed, to permit the opportunity for success), and you still exhibited the same behavior, that I would consider "seeing the Moderators for a complaint".

If you take the uncompromising stance that, unless banned, you must not have done anything wrong, and therefore are securely in the right no matter what you do, it will be seen as arrogance. I advise a modicum of humility instead ;)

Hidden links: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

I apologize for the confrontational manner the post above was presented in. It is my intent to resolve this matter before it continues to deteriorate, and though it is regrettable that this process may be less than comfortable for any of the involved parties, the alternative could all too easily be worse.

You have a vested interest in shifting the view of that situation from "their responses were justified" to "their responses were an irrational overreaction". Hence "agenda". Counter-accusations bear little weight here since I am not invested in the matter.

It seems as though you are in your pursuit of this issue and your seeming inability to "let it drop".

The contented smile of a cat who has the cream' date=' perhaps. Joking around isn't funny when you use it to get in another last word. It's all very well and good to say "break this off" [i']then[/i].

Maybe a request for "breaking it off" is because....AGAIN....it is serving little purpose?

:dh:

May I humbly suggest' date=' then, that you consider [i']why[/i] so many people are "besieging" you?

Er....Robyn? Right now, its JUST you. Hugh and I had a heated discussion but ultimately I think we came to a halt slowly looking at each others points with more respect. I know I at least have more respect for the "thinking out" of my concepts he presented. I don't recall any issues with anyone else that were harshly dealt with by me but I did make light of them by claiming I was beseiged as many were so adamant about keeping Block the way it is. As someone told me, I am not the only newcomer to touch on the Block and a lot of veterans were tired of hashing through the same arguments. Can't blame some for being tired of the debate. Didn't know that before I started posting about it though. Thats the past. I can't change it.

Perhaps it might serve you better to take into account their feelings' date=' as well, so we treat you as you wish to be treated of our own accord, with no resentment for the courtesy.[/quote']

I will respectfully consider the advice, if you would consider mine. Perhaps it might serve you better to take into account that levity is perhaps the best retreat for a subject and continued flogging of a deceased equine does not get him across the finish line ANY faster.....unless you are doing Knockback with each flog.

There are many levels of behavior in between "perfectly polite and innocent" and "must be banned". Calling in the Moderators for every little thing about someone else's manner that happens to annoy us would be wasteful' date=' and (to my view) the very idea reeks of tattle-tailing.[/quote']

Good. Glad we agree on something. can we also agree that continued harassment about a subject gets old and maybe we should let it rest?

The very first response I take to such things' date=' as a mature adult, is attempting to reason with the individual myself. Personally. No "appeal to higher authority", to remove someone who merely makes me uncomfortable; just me and them, in front of the community.

Cute link. Someone must have pointed it out to you some time ago and you, I am sure, have been waiting with baited breath to use it. Congratulations, Robyn. You did it. You achieved the goal of using someone else's wit in substitute for your own to insult someone. You must be proud. I'll call your mom and let her know what a great job she's done.

But, to get something straight, just because you are very eloquent doesn't mean that you are not being as base and crass as what you are accusing me of. You are the one now perpetuating the petty, small, spiteful attacks. Again, as mentioned before. You are only making yourself look worse. Do you really want to be thought of here as someone who resorts to such infantile ploys? I thought you were claiming to be an adult. In my estimation, an adult would have left the situation be.

I really' date=' sincerely, and very earnestly wish to reach some sort of accomodation [u']with[/u] you so that we all do get along in perfect happiness.

It is hard with you insinuating such insulting things as the above link, Robyn. I mean. Honestly. Before this conversation, I would have thought it beneath you, now I do not know where your depths end, sadly.

It would only be if I made several different efforts in that direction' date=' all meeting with failure (with much time having elapsed, to permit the opportunity for success), [i']and[/i] you still exhibited the same behavior, that I would consider "seeing the Moderators for a complaint".

Glad to hear it. I am sure you will be searching the net madly for new links to insult me with, or perhaps you have a collection just waiting in the wings to substitute for actual effort. Bravo, well played, Master Robyn.

If you take the uncompromising stance that' date=' unless banned, you must not have done anything wrong, and therefore are securely in the right no matter what you do, it will be seen as arrogance. I advise a modicum of humility instead ;)[/quote']

The uncompromising stance that I take, it this conversation has lead to nothing except to, of course, allow you to feel a little superior in your deft and subtley insulting manner in which, I am sure you feel, you dispatched an opponent.

The other uncompromising stance, I take is that I long ago asked for peace, which you refused to give. I asked for levity, which you refused to take and I politely engaged you in conversation only to be insulted by what you have cleverly disguised as "wit", but in the end is simply a mean, spiteful and petty insult. I now see that I gave a little more respect to you than you actually had coming.

The other uncompromising stance I take is that, though I may have made mistakes when I first arrived, I have tried to change that behavior since being here and retracted the one comment I made that offended someone directly. Since then, I have tried to be positive and not insult others and respectfully post to this board. I have put my ideas forth and accepted feedback about them and even weathered what I still believe is an over-the-top deluge of rude behavior, topped off nicely with this post.

You have shown me that no matter how polite I am or how light I make of the debates that we take in, their is always someone who can't help themselves but take it far too seriously and far too personally. You have shown me that no matter how polite or eloquent someone seems, that they too can be even more petty and crass than the worst of us.

Enjoy your victory, Robyn. You have trounced me so thoroughly that I may never recover. Congratulations.

:D

I apologize for the confrontational manner the post above was presented in. It is my intent to resolve this matter before it continues to deteriorate' date=' and though it is regrettable that this process may be less than comfortable for any of the involved parties, the alternative could all too easily be worse.[/quote']

It seems to me, the alternative was to take a joke and let it rest. That was the peaceful alternative. It has deteriorated as badly as I think it can through your persistance.

The fig leaf was offered and I feel spat on. Is that apology to me or to the onlookers?

For those reading this thread, I am sorry it got so off-track.

Robyn, if you would, can we please take this to Private Messaging?

It seems as though you are in your pursuit of this issue and your seeming inability to "let it drop".

Not invested, though (see "vested interest"). In any case, since you have raised the possibility this time without also referring to it as a fact, I thank you for ceasing to imply that my pursuit of this matter could not have been a choice. Since it was, I will exercise it once more, and choose to "let it rest" for now. Longer, if a senior member of the forum thinks my concerns here are unwarranted.

I have, however, been distinctly unimpressed by the apparent need you felt to resort to several more insults during your reply. I would like to see a higher level of courtesy from you in the future, and, above and beyond my own preferences (which you might not hold to be important), I offer the theory that continuing to retaliate so strongly every time you perceive an attack will inevitably lead to a situation where things escalate rapidly out of control.

Oh yes, one more thing :D

I do not know where your depths end, sadly.

Mu.

My depths never end - like a Mobius tube, they go on forever :eg:

Autobiography: Robyn found the page years ago searching for an entirely different RFC, and spent over half an hour Googling various half-remembered words from the document before finding the URL.

Not invested' date=' though (see "vested interest"). In any case, since you have raised the possibility this time without also referring to it as a fact, I thank you for ceasing to imply that my pursuit of this matter could not have been a [i']choice[/i]. Since it was, I will exercise it once more, and choose to "let it rest" for now. Longer, if a senior member of the forum thinks my concerns here are unwarranted.

Again....I ask you respond to me in private message, please.

I have' date=' however, been distinctly unimpressed by the apparent need you felt to resort to several more insults during your reply.[/quote']

As if the link you gave couldn't POSSIBLY be construed as an insult.

I would like to see a higher level of courtesy from you in the future' date='[/quote']

And I, you.

and' date=' above and beyond my own preferences (which you might not hold to be important), I offer the theory that continuing to retaliate so strongly every time you [i']perceive[/i] an attack will inevitably lead to a situation where things escalate rapidly out of control.

*ring, ring*

Hello? Mr. Kettles residence....Oh, Hi, Mr Pot! What?.....I'm black? Oh....thanks.

*click*

:help:

Again....I ask you respond to me in private message' date=' please.[/quote']

I won't, for the same reason that was the sole reason I posted a URL directing you to that page. It's all about "upholding community standards":

It's normal. In fact, it's healthy and appropriate.

Community standards do not maintain themselves:

They're maintained by people actively applying them, visibly, in public.

As if the link you gave couldn't POSSIBLY be construed as an insult.

I recommend scrolling up from that link I posted. Right above it, there's a section on "Dealing with Rudeness" which can aid you tremendously in your interactions with me and others:

Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bull**** communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy.

When you perceive rudeness, try to react calmly. If someone is really acting out, it is very likely a senior person on the list or newsgroup or forum will call him or her on it. If that doesn't happen and you lose your temper, [...]

Hello? Mr. Kettles residence....Oh' date=' Hi, Mr Pot! What?.....I'm black? Oh....thanks.[/quote']

Take it from one who knows, then - many of your posts can be seen as inflammatory. If you can control your own perceptions well enough to be at peace with how you are treated, show that by treating others with courtesy and respect no matter how they treat you.

I won't' date=' for the same reason that was the [i']sole[/i] reason I posted a URL directing you to that page. It's all about "upholding community standards":

Are the community standards relentless rudeness? In that case, you are the bastion of community standards. You persist in crass and base behavior disguised with a practiced eloquence. I have asked for this conflict to end with both parties respectfully bowing out. Yet, you persist, Out of respect for the community, I asked this debate be taken to Private Messaging, yet you persist. If anything, it seems you are quite content to drag this out on the thread. Congratulations, as I am sure you are know realizing you have found that I am just as stubborn as you are. :D But the community on the whole that you care so deeply about doesn't seem to be any better for it. Again, I offer the olive branch. Let this end or take this to Private Messaging, please.

I recommend scrolling up from that link I posted. Right above it' date=' there's a section on "Dealing with Rudeness" which can aid you [i']tremendously[/i] in your interactions with me and others:

Perhaps you should RE-read it yourself and take a few items to heart. :king: Or just take a few lessons on peaceful conflict resolution. In any event, you are having little effect on me as I treat rudeness with rudeness and persistance with persistance. What is effective with me, is polite respectfulness. If I truly erred, sending me a private message and allowing me to correct the issue with humility serves the purpose of correcting the behavior best. If I showed my "true colors" by being terribly rude in reply, then badgering me in public might be in order. If I retracted my statements with an apology and then sent you a thank you for pointing out my faux pas, then a peaceful resolution would have been the more likely outcome. The only conceivable reason I can surmise that you choose this tact is you simply wanted to throw your weight around and "put the newbie in his place". Doesn't work with me. Sorry.

Again, please send this to me in Private Message. Otherwise, I am content to write reply after reply just as you are seemingly content to do. I propose we discuss matters as adults in a private forum.

I offered you an olive branch (and a "fig leaf" too earlier....it was late and I had my analogies corssed) but I will throw in the whole bush and a dove or two if you will simply seek to respectfully change this venue to a private message.

Take it from one who knows' date=' then - many of your posts can be seen as inflammatory. If you can control your own perceptions well enough to be at peace with how you are treated, [u']show[/u] that by treating others with courtesy and respect no matter how they treat you.

I honestly cannot recall anything said with an inflammatory nature save for the one item I was redressed about and that was dealt with. Is there the possibility that you could be reading too much into the remarks I made or taking something too seriously when it was meant in jest? Is this a possibility that perhaps both of our perceptions should be questioned and not just mine?

Robyn.... as stated before. This thread is going nowhere and partly, I am to blame. For that, I apologize to the community at large. If you perceived my previous remarks as inflammatory, then I am sorry you were offended by them. Often I speak my mind. Sometimes it leads to good things, sometimes to bad but at least I am honest in my dealings with people. If I don't like someone, I will be able to articulate why.

I put this to you. If you felt that something I posted was inflammatory, then you could have approached me via private message instead of making this a personal crusade of yours Earlier you tried to correct me about the use of the word "investment" and that you did not have a vested interest in retaliation. Vested Interest is defined as "Those groups that seek to maintain or control an existing system or activity from which they derive private benefit." You have an "investement" in this community as the amount of sheer hours you spend here and the thoughtfullness with which you post here time and time again. Ergo, you have a vested interest in it and it seems that you have taken it upon yourself to help police it, thinking that I am a "barbarian at the gate".

I respect your intent but your delivery is coming off, at least in my perceptions, as self-righteous and aloof. Again, I was impressed by your eloquence when you first responded. It was disarming and I responded to you with, what I believed to be equal respectfullness. As I see it, what you have done here is perpetuate an argument long since over.

Can we let this drop? I would much appreciate it, kind sir.

Are the community standards relentless rudeness?

Whatever they may be, nothing will be accomplished by PM's except establishing that we disagree. I have linked to an explanation for you and directly quoted the relevant material, yet you still seem to miss this concept, so I will repeat it but once more, and devote an entire post to making this singular point:

Community standards are upheld in public. Private exchanges between individuals do not take place within the community, and therefore do not contribute to maintaining its standards.

You have not provided a point for us to disagree on. You have accused me of being inflammatory yet have not cited any specifics. I will admit there was one such post but I was approached about it in private and it was retracted. Badgering someone about past wrong-doings that have been corrected only seeks to belabor the point that you seem to feel that you are somehow better and need attention for being so.

As for me missing the concpet, right back at ya. I have made a point that a Private Message is the more civilized method of communicating with another. You seemed civilized, certainly with the modicum of eloqunt speech you've been able to muster, however, politeness and decorum seem to elude you.

May I also suggest you try to ascertain whether you do speak for the community. It seems the sheer ego to state without question that you speak for the community without appointment by that community screams of self-importance and self-righteousness.

If you are unable to send a Private Message because you feel in your heart of hearts that there are those interested in this conversation and the community would benefit from your preachings, then, by all means, continue.

The link you made was quite insulting and you know that, I am sure. You meant it as an insinuation which is abundantly clear and frankly beneath what I had surmised of your character. I am sorry I was wrong in that. But any lessons to be taught by you would fall on deaf ears of any pupil if delivered in an insulting manner.

So what are your distinct goals in this conversation? You say you wish to speak for the community yet have no nominations for any post here. You are showing, in my humble estimation, the worst that the boards have to offer. Is this the community that you wish to build?

Again, are you able to let this drop? Are you able to respond respectfully to a request for private discourse? Are you able to "let it drop" or does this still elude you?

Is there the possibility that you could be reading too much into the remarks I made or taking something too seriously when it was meant in jest?

Certainly. I have just begin to suspect that you have a general tendency towards hyperbole:

I put this to you. If you felt that something I posted was inflammatory' date=' then you could have approached me via private message instead of making this a personal crusade of yours[/quote']

Saying that the Block was "beloved" (strongly overstating the feelings about it), referring to this as a crusade (when it is nothing more than the casual courtesy I would extend to anyone), both lend themselves toward a pattern of seeing things more strongly than they were intended.

This can lead to the escalation I spoke of earlier - if someone else is being polite, but you perceive them as being rude, and then respond in kind, it will seem to everyone else as if your response was unjustified. When each party thinks that someone else "started it", reconciliation can be difficult.

Earlier you tried to correct me about the use of the word "investment" and that you did not have a vested interest in retaliation.

This is not fully correct. Retaliation was a word I used to describe your own actions; a term which, by your own acknowledgement of "treating rudeness with rudeness", fits them perfectly. I have not been engaged in any retaliatory measures, nor do I have any reasons to do so.

To repeat what Nexus told you, if I were attacking you, you would know it. Then again, if you are indeed viewing everything through a haze of hostility, so that it flavors whatever we may do and say, you might "know it" even if I wasn't attacking you, as has been the case. I'll go with this, then - if I were attacking you, you would be seeing other members of this forum publicly chastise me for the persecution.

it seems that you have taken it upon yourself to help police it' date='[/quote']

It is not my place to "police" this community, though I forgive you for the perception, since you still do not seem to grasp the levels of reaction to a problem between "ignore it, suffer silently" and "grab a stick to beat the offender with". I reiterate that I can recognize problems before they become so serious as to call for a "final solution", and try to resolve them personally (just me, no authority present and none implied) by reasoning with the individual(s) involved.

I am saying that your perceptions and/or actions have led and can lead to unnecessary hostility, but this doesn't constitute an attack on you. This is a direct, cut-through-the-bull**** approach to informing you of what is creating friction here so you have the opportunity to consider, of your own free will, whether and what you may wish to do about it.

Can we let this drop? I would much appreciate it' date=' kind sir.[/quote']

If "letting it drop" were a viable solution, I would have done so already. Until the basic problem has been established, however, there is no reason to believe that this problem will not repeat itself in the future. Problems are not solved by setting the matter aside until it worsens past our ability to ignore. Well, at that stage they may be, but I prefer to deal with them prior to that point, preventing a great deal of unnecessary suffering and probably preserving what would in the later stages be dealt with destructively.

You have accused me of being inflammatory yet have not cited any specifics. I will admit there was one such post but I was approached about it in private and it was retracted.

This highlights one of the main problems with Private Messaging not being a part of the community.

Imagine two very similar communities; I'll call them Heaven and Hell to facilitate comprehension. Both are filled with vicious arguments about nearly everything, but one has an excellent reputation and the other has a horrible reputation. In the one called Heaven, all settlements are handled publically and onlookers can see that everyone has calmed down and made up. In the one called Hell, all settlements are handled privately, and an onlooker can only see disagreements all over the place.

You say you wish to speak for the community yet have no nominations for any post here.

You are overstating (and perhaps overperceiving) here, again. I have never expressed a desire to speak for the community, nor do I possess any such desire, nor have I ever attempted to; I speak for myself, as a part of that community, having observed public resolution and reconciliation as a respected means of handling this sort of conflict.

I have made a point that a Private Message is the more civilized method of communicating with another.

I do not recall that particular point. Perhaps you intended to make such a point but stated something else instead?

The link you made was quite insulting and you know that' date=' I am sure. You meant it as an insinuation which is abundantly clear and frankly beneath what I had surmised of your character.[/quote']

Since you persist in believing that others intend to insult you, even after being corrected by the one person who can know what was in their minds, and even though it is contradicted by prior evidence, I can only deduce that your reasoning is being swayed by some deep need to believe in the hostility of others. What purpose could such a compulsion serve?

This highlights one of the main problems with Private Messaging not being a part of the community.

Imagine two very similar communities; I'll call them Heaven and Hell to facilitate comprehension. Both are filled with vicious arguments about nearly everything, but one has an excellent reputation and the other has a horrible reputation. In the one called Heaven, all settlements are handled publically and onlookers can see that everyone has calmed down and made up. In the one called Hell, all settlements are handled privately, and an onlooker can only see disagreements all over the place.

Lets imagine two different boards. One called Heaven and one called Hell. In Heaven, people are kind to one another and rather than chastise and alienate people in public where there is the risk of public embarassment and public shame, they first kindly and respectfully point things out in private, allowing the person to change their behavior before risking further public embarassment. In Hell, they just lambast them in public, puffing themselves up and doing it mainly for their own self-edification, not a genuine concern about the members of the community or the community itself.

Hmmm...I know which I would prefer.

You are overstating (and perhaps overperceiving) here' date=' again. I have never expressed a desire to speak for the community, nor do I possess any such desire, nor have I ever attempted to; I speak for myself, as a part of that community, having observed public resolution and reconciliation as a respected means of handling this sort of conflict.[/quote']

Then as one member of a community to another....why aren't you letting this drop?

I do not recall that particular point. Perhaps you intended to make such a point but stated something else instead?

I put this to you. If you felt that something I posted was inflammatory' date=' then you could have approached me via private message instead of making this a personal crusade of yours.[/qoute']

I thought that was clear enough, also there were my repeated requests to carry this to a Private Message. To be succinct with you, in my opinion, airing your displeasure with me in public is the equivalent of yelling how much you hate your neighbor at the public market. No one really wants to hear it and it is best kept to private conversation FIRST before resorting to any public or community channels. You never tested those waters. You assumed and began your derisive comments. You never gave me an opportunity to discuss it with you in private. If you have a problem with me, bring it to me man to man. If I am in error and it can be pointed out to me without risk of public embarassment, then do so and give the person an opportunity to learn. To attack someone in public merely alienates them and makes them feel hemmed in and thusly less likely to learn and more likely to strike back.

Since you persist in believing that others intend to insult you' date=' even after being corrected by the one person who [i']can[/i] know what was in their minds, and even though it is contradicted by prior evidence, I can only deduce that your reasoning is being swayed by some deep need to believe in the hostility of others. What purpose could such a compulsion serve?

You seem to enjoy looking up the definition of words. Look up the phrase "Passive Aggressive" and see how aptly that fits your behavior.

Again, I ask you respectfully and coirdially to take this to a Private Message. As it stands, your public display is only serving to lessen you in esteem. As a gentleman, I ask to bring this to a private forum as it has obviously gotten to the point where you cannot help but reply.

Lets stop boring the board, shall we? Lets take this to a private forum.

rather than chastise and alienate people in public where there is the risk of public embarassment and public shame' date='[/quote']

If this is how you view open disclosure it is small wonder you keep begging for this to be taken to PM. For my own part I am ashamed of nothing I have said, nor am I inclined to say anything that I would need to keep private lest it prove embarrassing to me. Nor have I ever said any such thing; if every Private Message that I had ever sent were released to the public, I would stand by every word without shame or embarrassment. Not that I am perfect; simply that suffering such things publicly has given me the incentive to "shape up my act", as it were.

Then as one member of a community to another....why aren't you letting this drop?

I don't see how that would follow. Seeking resolution and reconciliation openly is exactly what I have been doing; I have already explained why "letting it drop" before receiving an acknowledgement of the basic problem would not qualify as a solution.

I put this to you. If you felt that something I posted was inflammatory' date=' then you could have approached me via private message instead of making this a personal crusade of yours.[/quote']

I thought that was clear enough, also there were my repeated requests to carry this to a Private Message.

I reiterate, first, that this is not and never was a "crusade" on my part. Addressing the point at hand, you had not associated "taking it to PM" with "more civilized" prior to claiming that you had.

To be succinct with you' date=' in my opinion, airing your displeasure with me in public is the equivalent of yelling how much you hate your neighbor at the public market.[/quote']

I don't hate you. Do you really project so much hostility unto others that you think anyone who sees a problem with your behavior must hate you?

You never gave me an opportunity to discuss it with you in private. If you have a problem with me' date=' bring it to me man to man.[/quote']

Why? Is there something more "manly" about hiding one's words from the eyes of those who might disapprove?

If it's something else, please elaborate. I won't leave this with the implication that, if you seek anything but public disclosure, you can't have any possible motivation except hiding your words.

To attack someone in public merely alienates them and makes them feel hemmed in and thusly less likely to learn and more likely to strike back.

Here you go again with the "attacking". I've told you before, and will rephrase it now: pointing out that your behavior is less than flawless does not equate to attacking you.

Again' date=' I ask you respectfully and coirdially to take this to a Private Message.[/quote']

Again, I decline, for the reasons given above this post in the thread.

As it stands' date=' your public display is only serving to lessen you in esteem.[/quote']

I disagree. Each person will make their own choice regarding what they think of all this; some of them may even come to respect me more, regardless of what you think they should or can conclude.

As a gentleman' date=' I ask to bring this to a private forum as it has obviously gotten to the point where you cannot help but reply.[/quote']

I confess that I am baffled at how, when you see another person doing something you would prefer that they not do, the possibility that they might have chosen such a course fails to occur to you. Or did it, and you dismissed the idea before arriving at your "obvious" conclusion?

Are the community standards relentless rudeness? In that case, you are the bastion of community standards. You persist in crass and base behavior disguised with a practiced eloquence.

Rkane, you're describing yourself a lot more than you are Robyn.

Robyn, for what it's worth, you can be annoying too. Just not on Rkane's level.

I read this thread to about this point; this is where I'm planning to break it off.

I honestly cannot recall anything said with an inflammatory nature

Then you have a very short memory. Go back and re-read your own posts.

In the entire time I have been here (a lot longer than Robyn, who hasn't been around much longer than you have) I think I've only put someone on ignore once. You're getting very close to being the second. Which would be a pity, because you're obviously not stupid; in fact, you've contributed enough already I am inclined to say you're far too smart to be acting the way you have been.

Yes, I too would have agreed at one point that the way some people were reacting to you was over-reaction. But then your response to that is to prove them right, to make their overreactions actually look understated compared to your subsequent posts.

Normally, Rkane, we're very friendly around here to newcomers. But I have seen you inspire opposition not only from people like Kristopher, the "official killjoy" but from people who, in my experience, have NEVER been other than friendly, courteous, and helpful. Now, why do you suppose they make an exception for you?

I think I'm going to make an exception too. I'm putting you on ignore, Rkane. I don't need this, and the Hero Forums don't need this. Maybe in a few days I'll take you off ignore and see if things have improved.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary doesn't need this.