MY FIRST NEW Fantasy HERO magic sytem.

Herolover

Okay.

So here is my first 5E magic system. See what you think. Reply, rant, rave, tell me I am good, tell me I am insane. Tell me what you think...about my magic system that is. :)

Wizards

Wizards are individuals which have studies and learnt mental formulas called spells. These formulas or spells allow the wizard to use an energy called aether. Wizards use aether to summon beings from other planes or change the material world. Wizards acquire this aether from other planes and items in the material world.

In some areas of the material world the barrier between the planes varies in strength. This results in areas where the barrier is weaker allowing easier access to aether. This makes spells easier to cast. In other areas the barrier between the planes is stronger making the casting of spells more difficult.

There are several types of aether these include: Air, Earth, Fire, Life, Nature, Necromatic, and Water. Each spell uses particular amounts of specific aethers. Thus when a wizard wishes to cast a Fire Bolt spell he may use a lot of Fire aether. Some spells are so complicated they require more than one type of aether.

Wizards have differences in opinion about how the aether is manipulated. Different Wizards use different methods to call upon the aether to perform their spells. This has resulted in there being many different schools of thought on how the aether is manipulated.

Many wizards specialize in spells using one or more types of aether. This allows them great proficiency with their specialized aethers allowing them to cast spells easier and with more power. The cost of this specialization is that their study of other aethers suffers and spells using the other aethers become more difficult for the wizard to cast.

No matter where or how a wizard gathers aether the use of it is physically straining. Casting spells can tire a wizard to the point he is unable to walk.

Because spells are difficult formulas that the wizard must learn many wizards write their spells down into spellbooks. This allows the wizard to refresh himself, allows the trading of spells, gives apprentices something to study.

Spellbooks are also very important because the creation of spells without prior information is extremely difficult. Therefore many wizards try to discover new spellbooks so they can learn or create new spells.

Rules

Wizards must purchase a skill called Spellcraft (Power skill based on INT). Wizards can use this skill to perform minor spell effects without the need to purchase the spell. These effects are limited to 5-10 Active Points. They use of the Spellcraft skill in this way is dependent upon the GM.

Spellcraft can also be used to counter another wizard’s spell.

To counter another wizard’s spell the countering wizard must have a half phase to act, either the same spell or the Dispel spell. He must then beat the casting wizard in a skill versus skill contest using the Spellcraft skill.

Wizards purchase their spells individually, but divide the Real Cost of the spell by 5 to determine how many character points they spend.

All spells must have Cost END and Requires Spellcraft Roll. In addition to these limitations each wizard must choose limitations equaling a total of -1/2 from the following list: Concentration, Extra Time, Focus, Gestures, Gradual Effect, Incantations, Increased END, No Range, Requires a Skill Roll (Variations), Ritual, and Side Effects.

Aether Specialization

To specialize in the use of a particular type of aether the wizard must choose two types of aether. The first choice is the type of aether with which the wizard specializes. The wizard gains a bonus to their Spellcraft roll for any spell which uses this type of aether. The other choice is the type of aether with which the wizard will have a penalty. . The wizard gains a penalty to their Spellcraft roll for any spell which uses this type of aether.

Aether SpecializationCost: 0 character points.

(+2 skill levels with Spellcraft roll with use of aether [4 points] plus -2 skill levels with Spellcraft roll with use of aether [-4 points]).

Nice work. I do have a couple suggestions

Get rid of gradual, as a player if I cast fireball and it has to work up to go off, it's not much use. When you add in extra time it becomes even rougher.

Focus?, whats the focus. Personally I do use expendable focus as a way of showing spell components.

Increased End could cause a problem depending on if your using the 1-10pt ratio or the 1-5pt ration.

But I must say nice job. I do like the use of the skill rolls

Originally posted by tiger

Nice work. I do have a couple suggestions

Get rid of gradual, as a player if I cast fireball and it has to work up to go off, it's not much use. When you add in extra time it becomes even rougher.

Focus?, whats the focus. Personally I do use expendable focus as a way of showing spell components.

Increased End could cause a problem depending on if your using the 1-10pt ratio or the 1-5pt ration.

But I must say nice job. I do like the use of the skill rolls

Thank you for the feedback. I am glad you liked it.

The limitations you listed are options. They are not mandatory so I am loath to take them out. What about the mage that can cast great spells they just work up to their maximum effect?

I am playing with this idea.

As stated wizards must choose -1/2 worth of limitations from a list of limitations. These limiations must always be on all spells a that wizard cast.

What do you think of that?

I am thinking of this as a method to represent the different "schools of magic."

That sounds good. I require, Concentration, gestures, components and requires Mana in my system.

The later is there because certain parts of my world are with our mana and there fore spells don't work. Only "Charged" magic work, of course they lose charages while in mana as well :)

here's what I'm doing at the moment. I forgot I had decided that Components were changed to optional. These are the required.

Cost Power END
Spells: Uses Mana (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Concentration 1/2 DCV (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Must Cost End To Cast (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 0

• 2 weeks later...

Aether Specialization

Tell me more about this Aether Specialization thing. I don't know what you mean. What are the types? Why bother - how do you work it into the world in a meaningful way?

I agree with your methods for requiring limitation. On the one hand spells can't be all that powerful without them, on the other hand you as GM have a harder time making life hard for the players if they don't have them. It's better for the role playing to have the limitations. Good job.

I may have to try this. I am using Privateer Press' Witchfire trilogy and want to make a fantasy hero campaign out of it. Magic was the one thing i was dreading but it looks like magic systems aren't as hard to create as I thought.

CC