Confused by Disadvantages and Base/Vehicle costs

MPT

I am trying to work out if Disadvantages apply or do not apply when calculating the cost of Followers and Bases/Vehicles.

The rules for Bases (5ER Page 85 2nd paragraph on the left) state that the 1 per 5 cost only applies as long as the Base's total points (including Disadvantages) are less than or equal to the total Character Points of the character.

I would therefore expect that a base built with 200 points plus 80 points of disadvantages would (if my character has a total cost of 250 points) cost me (200/5) + (280-250) = 40 + 30 = 70 points.

The Guardian's example given in the next column regarding group buys, however, seems to contradict this as as it states that "They can also take Disadvantages for their base, which add to the 250 points without costing them any more Character Points." as the base points are less than or equal to the character's points.

I would therefore expect that my base bought with this rule costs me only 200/5 = 40 points.

The rules for Followers are similar but do not have the equivalent of the Guardian's example. Is the example incorrect and if so what cost should I pay.

Re: Confused by Disadvantages and Base/Vehicle costs

Your Base cannot be built on more Points than your Character, including Disads.

If you are a 250 Point Character your Base cannot exceed 250 points, but can be built on any combination of Points + Diad's your GM allows.

I'm not near my book so can't look at the example you site to see what's going on there. Likely it's assuming a 350 Points Super.

Your Base cannot be built on more Points than your Character, including Disads.

If you are a 250 Point Character your Base cannot exceed 250 points, but can be built on any combination of Points + Diad's your GM allows.

I'm not near my book so can't look at the example you site to see what's going on there. Likely it's assuming a 350 Points Super.

I don't think that is the case. The book example specifically contradicts this as it has a 250 point character buying a base that costs 290 points of which 40 points are disadvantages.

The sample given (200pt/80pt Disad works out like this)

((200 - 80)/5) = 120/5 = 25pts

If the points minus the disads are over the character limit (ie 250) then they have to pay 1 pt per point over that limit (290pt base, character would pay 250/5 + 40pts).

Look at the second example given with Bases.

I am not sure about your group but builing a base is very fun. Especially ig the group works together to make it really a nice one. Ours get minorly recked a few time and the players were very upset. LOL

The sample given (200pt/80pt Disad works out like this)

((200 - 80)/5) = 120/5 = 25pts

If the points minus the disads are over the character limit (ie 250) then they have to pay 1 pt per point over that limit (290pt base, character would pay 250/5 + 40pts).

Look at the second example given with Bases.

It is the book example which confuses me! The book example does indeed work from just the base points in the base and ignores the extra points from the disadvantages, but the rules text specifically state that the disadvantages must be included when determining when the 1 for 1 cost applies.

To clarify my example - I was building a 280 point base of which 80 points were disadvantages and 200 were base - wheras I think your calculation is for a 200 point base made from 80 points in disadvantages and 120 points base. Sorry if my question was not clear enough.

To clarify my example - I was building a 280 point base of which 80 points were disadvantages and 200 were base - wheras I think your calculation is for a 200 point base made from 80 points in disadvantages and 120 points base. Sorry if my question was not clear enough.

I understand, don't think you understood what I gave was a smaple though.

280 - 80 (disadvantages) = 200 which I assume is under the total points of the character building the base. They get the full break of 5/1.

I am trying to work out if Disadvantages apply or do not apply when calculating the cost of Followers and Bases/Vehicles.

The rules for Bases (5ER Page 85 2nd paragraph on the left) state that the 1 per 5 cost only applies as long as the Base's total points (including Disadvantages) are less than or equal to the total Character Points of the character.

I would therefore expect that a base built with 200 points plus 80 points of disadvantages would (if my character has a total cost of 250 points) cost me (200/5) + (280-250) = 40 + 30 = 70 points.

The Guardian's example given in the next column regarding group buys, however, seems to contradict this as as it states that "They can also take Disadvantages for their base, which add to the 250 points without costing them any more Character Points." as the base points are less than or equal to the character's points.

I would therefore expect that my base bought with this rule costs me only 200/5 = 40 points.

The rules for Followers are similar but do not have the equivalent of the Guardian's example. Is the example incorrect and if so what cost should I pay.

The same (or nearly the same) example---the one with the Guardians---is used in 5th Edition, and the errata for same states that the example with the Guardians is WRONG and that the example, under Follower, with Captain Australia, is correct. I'm surprised this error has remained in re-Fred.

So yes, in your example, you would pay 70 points.

The same (or nearly the same) example---the one with the Guardians---is used in 5th Edition, and the errata for same states that the example with the Guardians is WRONG and that the example, under Follower, with Captain Australia, is correct. I'm surprised this error has remained in re-Fred.

So yes, in your example, you would pay 70 points.

Thank you. I looked at the FIVER errata but never thought to look at the FRED one.