KB in games without KB?

mayapuppies

Hello all,

I'm creating a magic hammer (and a 'feat') that will allow Knockback instead of Knockdown. Since this is a Heroic level game there is no Knockback by campaign convention.

Since these are "special" circumstances within this game, how would I add it to the Feat and hammer? Double knockback seems to be a bit redundant.

My first inclination was to add Double Knockback and then just rename it to Does Knockback. Does that seem right to you?

Re: KB in games without KB?

As an add-on to this question.

The Feat I'm calling Staggering Blow is essentially a Naked Modifer that allows KB to be applied to the characters attacks. It costs endurance, can only be used with blunt weapons and requires a Combat Tricks roll.

The problem is, I just don't know how to handle Naked modifiers as write-ups.

The idea you had for using "Double Knockback" and re-naming it "Does Knockback" is, in my opinion, probably the absolute best way to handle that situation. So, on that, well done! :)

As for the "naked modifier", you might want to consider setting a "standard cost" for the Power. Since this is a Fantasy Hero game, it can just be a "Custom Power". Id recommend charging about 10 points for it. Low enough cost to be feasible for those who want it, but high enough that only those who -really- want it will actually buy it :)

Hello all,

I'm creating a magic hammer (and a 'feat') that will allow Knockback instead of Knockdown. Since this is a Heroic level game there is no Knockback by campaign convention.

Since these are "special" circumstances within this game, how would I add it to the Feat and hammer? Double knockback seems to be a bit redundant.

My first inclination was to add Double Knockback and then just rename it to Does Knockback. Does that seem right to you?

Umm you could just simple add the advantage "Does KB." Just talk to your GM about it. Since the advantage (+1/4) was already seen to adiqute by Steve for senerios where you don't typicaly use KB. So I think in this case it has the same beirring. And yes Double KB does sound redundant. :thumbup:

Ok this is what I came up with for the Custom Power:

Staggering Blow: Attacks cause Knockback instead of Knockdown (10 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Very Common Circumstances (Only with bludgeoning weapons; -1), Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), OIF (Weapon of Choice; -1/2), Requires A Combat Tricks Roll (-1/2)

Umm you could just simple add the advantage "Does KB." Just talk to your GM about it. Since the advantage (+1/4) was already seen to adiqute by Steve for senerios where you don't typicaly use KB. So I think in this case it has the same beirring. And yes Double KB does sound redundant. :thumbup:

How would I write this up for a Feat? The problem I'm running into is that I am essentially creating a naked modifier that allows KB to be applied to a characters weapon attacks rather than creating a separate attack that does KB.

How would I write this up for a Feat? The problem I'm running into is that I am essentially creating a naked modifier that allows KB to be applied to a characters weapon attacks rather than creating a separate attack that does KB.

Just simply build a Naked advantage so that so many dice of HA(use the campaign standard for attacks) applie the Advantage of 'Does KB' and the put on limitations Such as: Extra end cost, Only works with B. Weapons, ect.

Since Naked advanges are cheep to make it shouldn't be to far out of anyones price range to get if they wish. It will end up being on the same line of thought as creating your own power but without any of the repercusions of opening the door when you start creating your own powers.

***added on after the fact*** To address that it is a 'Feat Just call it a Talent and say you have to be trained to reutilize your weapon to this effectiveness.

Ok, I figured out how to make a Naked Modifier cost points in Hero Designer. That's what was throwing me for a loop. Here it goes:

Staggering Blow: Naked Modifier: Does Knockback (+1/4); Conditional Power Power does not work in Very Common Circumstances (Can only be used with Bludgeoning Weapons; -1), Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Requires A Combat Tricks Roll (-1/2), OIF (Weapon of Choice; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) for up to 60 Active Points (3 Active Points)

WOW. That would some 18 end just to use the power. Hope your guys can spend that much. Also ussually you only put 'only to activate' on continus powers. So why is on a NA? Since your starting reference power(such as HA) isnt cont.?

WOW. That would some 18 end just to use the power. Hope your guys can spend that much. Also ussually you only put 'only to activate' on continus powers. So why is on a NA? Since your starting reference power(such as HA) isnt cont.?

Well, according to HERO Designer the naked modifier doesn't normally cost END, so I had to add that. Then the END Cost was only '1' so I increased it x3.

Well' date=' according to HERO Designer the naked modifier doesn't normally cost END, so I had to add that. Then the END Cost was only '1' so I increased it x3.[/quote']

Oops my mistake. The end would be based on the actice points(15 in this case). Sorry Again. I was thinking of the extra cost compared to the base 60 active.

No problem at all. :D

I got another one here. It's called Ricochet and allows a character to bounce a thrown bludgeoning weapon off targets into others. I wrote it up like this:

Ricochet: Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Area Of Effect Nonselective (up to 14" Line; +3/4); Conditional Power Power does not work in Very Common Circumstances (Only with bludgeoning weapons; -1), OIF (Weapon of Choice; -1/2), Requires A Combat Tricks Roll (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1/2) for up to 35 Active Points of Blunt thrown weapons (10 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Range Based on Strength; -1/4)

The default range on this is 14" so I added in a Limited Power that bases range off of strength, is that the best way to do it?

Well' date=' according to HERO Designer the naked modifier doesn't normally cost END, so I had to add that. Then the END Cost was only '1' so I increased it x3.[/quote']

In that case Hero Designer is wrong.

Naked Advantages cost END at the standard rate of 1 END per 10 Active Points in the ability.

I thought that the end cost for a NA was 1/10 active points of the NA. so a 15 pt NA would have an End Cost of 1, at x3 it would be 3.