Writing up the cast of You're Under Arrest!

Michael Hopcroft

why, you ask, would an anime comedy go in the DC forum?

Genre; it's a cop show.

I am trying to write up the cast of You're Under Arrest, the Kajishima series about the lives and loves of Tokyo policewomen at a preceint full of eccentrics. There are some things that have been easy to model, but some are a bit tougher. so i thought i would ask for help, especially regarding super-skills.

some examples of abilities that fall under those headings:

Miyuki's ability to take anything that has wheels and an engine and make it perform far beyond its normal capacity (she's even souped up her partner's moped, and I have a hard time imagining how one could do that)

Natsumi is, of course, a bordeline super in terms of her physical abilities. I really wish I knew how she'd gotten that way.

Ken Nakijima has one other compelling trait besides the inability to say the four most important words he REALLY NEEDS to get out -- he is a pursuit motorcycle rider virtually without peer.

Yoriko's astounding Luck is relatively easy except that she carries it to comically absurd degrees (she has been known to get 100% on written exams by choosing the answers randomly). More importantly to the story, any rumor that crops up anywhere near the precint or anyone involved with it will eventually pass through her, yet she has an unerring ability to stay on the good side of everyone over the long haul (they did let her out of that sack, trust me).

Then there's the really weird one among the regulars -- Aoi-chan. Aoi is the epitome of modern Japanese femininity except for one small detail -- he's actually male. and he was originally quite a jock, until an undercover assignment hunting a serial pervert caused him to "go native" to the point that he can't change back. So he wears falsies under his bra and boxers under his uniform skirt. This causes no end of trouble (where does a transvestite change and shower?), speculation (his own family is now convinced he's gay to the point of attempting to arrange a marriage for him with another man) and surprises for the unwary (any perp attempting to get ecchi on one of the female officers always goes after Aoi first, usually reslting in severe trauma for said perp).

If the precint has a nemesis, it would have to be Strikeman. Strikeman is a lunatic who has so thoroughly convinced himself that he's a superhero that almost everyone believes it. The bane of public urinators, improperly parked vehicles and similar petty offenders, Strikeman uses baseballs, a bat, a screwdriver and a Sharpie to inflict rough justice. Natsumi hates his guts ever since he declared her "My sidekick, Home-Run Girl!". He's notally tucking futs.

Re: Writing up the cast of You're Under Arrest!

This is one of those series that I have heard about and even seen trailers to but have yet to watch. I keep thinking about snagging the series since ADV keeps putting it on sale cheaply. Everytime they have one of their semi-regular sales it seems to be a sale item. Of course I hope I am not confusing it with Burn Up (another series I haven't seen).