Lineage of Champions

AdamLeisemann

My brother just got Galactic Champions and I was fascinated by the 3000 versions of some of the older Champions Characters, like Defender 3000. However, I became curious about something: What would the Cyberpunk version of Defender be like? Or the Terran Empire Pre-GC? So I figured on presenting a possible task. This task makes the following assumptions:

*The Champions Era is the modern Era, or earlier, up to the 1930s. It ends at around the year 2020, when magic goes away. In this Era, the characters are ovbiously as powerful as average superheroes.

*The Cyberpunk Era is from 2020 to 2297, when the Xenovores invaded Earth (Terran Empire, Star Hero). Characters are of Heroic power level.

*Glossing over the Xenovore wars, The Terran Empire is from 2397 (end of the Xenovore Wars) to 2703. Characters are of Heroic Power level in the Terran Empire.

*Galactic Champions is the year 3001. Magic has returned and Superheroes have returned as well. Characters are incredibly powerful in Galactic Champions, about twice as effective as a Champions Superheroes.

*If your character originated from another dimension or planet, and made it back, you are charged with decribing things from a "Back home" standpoint. This means you describe how the character's homeworld may have changed with each Era.

The task is to begin by describing your character (Who is s/he? Attitudes? Methodology in being a hero?) in the Champions Era.

Then name and describe a descendant in the Cyberpunk Era, what would s/he be doing? How would his/her attitudes and methods differ from their Champions ancestor?

Do the same thing for a Terran Empire descendant, from either the beginning of the empire to when it declined into corruption to was overthrown in 2703. Again, how is the descendant different from the Champions and Cyberpunk ancestors?

And finally, present a descendant for when Magic came back to the universe and thus began the dawn of a new superheroic era for Galactic Champions. What differences are their from his/her ancestors of the previous Era?

Due to how long these posts can potentially get, there is one additional rule: 1 post, with this lineage arrangement, per character.

We are not looking to create character sheets here, so do not worry overly much about points. Just try to get a general feel of the "power level" of each era.

And, of course, there is one final thing OF ABSOLUTE IMPORTANCE! Have fun.

EDIT: If you need any details about the HERO Universe, and do not want to make up some of your own details, I am not an authority. You would do better to ask the HERO staff.

Re: Lineage of Champions

To provide an example, I will use my Reinard the Fox character, and chronicle parts of his lineage, presenting only a possible future for him.

*If your character originated from another dimension or planet' date=' and made it back, you are charged with decribing things from a "Back home" standpoint. This means you describe how the character's homeworld may have changed with each Era.[/quote']

Reinard is a transdimensional character, hailing from a cartoon dimension, so after the Champions version, I will describe things from a cartoon dimensional standpoint, at least for Cyber and Star Hero.

First you begin by describing your character (Who is s/he? Attitudes? Methodology in being a hero?) in the Champions Era.

Reinard (real name: Renn Fox) is a cartoon fox with a much more serious outlook than one might expect. He came to earth in pursuit of the fugitive Lyle Lynx. For more information (and to keep down the size of this post), please refer here: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46981. His Methodology is mostly Silver-bronze-agish as far as Champions goes. In 2018, he may have captured Lyle Lynx and managed to get him back to his dimension and in to justice.

Then name and describe a descendant in the Cyberpunk Era, what would s/he be doing? How would his/her attitudes and methods differ from their Champions ancestor?

The cyberpunk Era in the cartoon dimension from which Reinard came would feature a great deal of "dark humor" to it. Reinard's daughter, Marian Fox, would end up as a detective, with her father's sense of the relative. Basically, not much change at this point.

Do the same thing for a Terran Empire descendant, from either the beginning of the empire to when it declined into corruption to was overthrown in 2703. Again, how is the descendant different from the Champions and Cyberpunk ancestors?

When the cartoons go to the stars in around 2295, they will ultimately discover new levels in strangeness. Marian's descendant, Jason Todd* will actually have not become an authority figure in criminal justice, but instead will have become an adventurer. Jason's thirst for understanding the much broader universe will inevitably lead to a much lighter outlook than either ancestor. He might best be described as a fluke in the lineage. Basically, no real connection to the Terran Empire at this point.

*Joke intended. I said to have fun!

And finally, present a descendant for when Magic came back to the universe and thus began the dawn of a new superheroic era for Galactic Champions. What differences are their from his/her ancestors of the previous Era?

In 2984, The Earth universe will have discoverred a cosmic rift, placing access to another dimension. When "First Contact" becomes established, many races will most likely regret it with these animated oddballs. Decended again (another daughter) in the Reynard line in the family Tree, introducing Rhenee' Reynard, who has continued a carreer as an adventurer, but with great forces threatening the galaxy, she focuses her thrillseeking escapades on protecting innocent people. She'll refer to herself by her current family name, and is thus known widely as Reynard. She's little more Warners*, but with a strong ethical sense (can't be causing TOTALLY random meyhem. Someone undeserving could get hurt) and with the historical dedication to working for the betterment of others. Of course, all the gadgets will only make her a greater force to be reckoned with. This is not a good era to be a threat to the galaxy. ^.^

Animaniacs, in case you are curious.

And there you have it: An example. Not the best, but an example none the less.

Re: Lineage of Champions

Gaze-Mentalist with some martial arts, and a flare for dark theatricality: starts, I better just give Gaze's back story to explain how he started

Her name was Dominique. It's a classy sounding name, and that's what she had, class. Me? I was the original fake, the guy who got by most of his life on charm alone, but she was the real deal. Even when I was a begining stage hypnotist, untried and untested, she was already a headliner as an escape artist. Heck, she was a lot more than that. Her idea of a 'hobby' was to win Martial Arts competions. That drove her manager nuts, I can tell you.

I fell in love at first sight, of course. Well, first it was lust (she was gorgeous) but it moved on from there. What she saw in me? I couldn't say. Maybe it was because I made her laugh. Maybe I did something good in a past life? Then again, I am a charming son of a gun. Whatever the reason, she loved me back. She found my hypnosis fascinating, and we exchanged professional secrets. I taught her self hypnosis, she taught me how to wiggle... out of bonds I mean.

Crud, that still sounds dirty no matter how I word it.

It turned out that a lot of her own training hadn't come about legitamately. You see, Dom had been a cat burgular at one time, one of the best. So when Hans Falco, notorious but never convicted mob boss decided he needed a job done, he deterimined she was the best suited for the job. He 'suggested' she come out of retirement.

Short form? She was scared, but I gave her courage. She almost turned back to crime, but I held her to the straight and narrow. She wanted to live, but I got her killed.

I convinced her to try to turn evidence on Falco, emphasis on the word 'try'. God, I was so naive. Within three days, I was looking on her bullet ridden body in the desert, and about to have a slug put in my own. I guess they didn't expect -me- to have known how to slip out of the cuffs they had me in. I still got shot, but I got a running start first and the bullet only grazed my skull.

As I lay there bleeding on the side of Yucca Mountain, they fired again. There was sound of metal on metal, I heard one of the goons gasp out something about "Toxic waste" and sure enough, strange fumes from whatever that was stored there filled my lungs. Convinced I was as good as dead anyway, they fled.

Chickens.

When I awoke, I was at first surprised to find out I was alive. When my hypnosis began to do things that hypnosis can NOT do, I realized more than that had happened. I should have been dead, instead I got superpowers.I would like to say I decided to bring Falco to justice, but really? I was scared, and I was angry. I wanted to be safe, and I wanted to avenge Dom.

Of course I put on a costume. I was too afraid to face Falco and his thugs as Jack B. Charming. As Gaze, I got my revenge, and I scared the hell out myself at the same time. You see, I left the man a blank slate. I wiped every memory he ever had from him before I even realized what I had done.

Never again.

Still, it seems the City needs heroes once more, so what can I do? Let innocent people suffer from people that make Falco look like a boyscout? I don't think so.

Gaze has, recently, found love again. Ingrid Black who began as his DNPC and stage assitant but has gained powers is now more his partner in the war on crime. She's kept him from crossing over the edge at least once, and he's seriously thinking of popping the question. She's made happiness feel possible again. Her own powers as Jazz are now innate rapid reflexes, a natural response time, and the ability to size up most foes via body language. She can even tell when someone is lying now.

Suffice to say Ingrid and Jack's kid is going to be something special, at least until 2020 when the powers may start to fade (though as 'psychic stuff' seems to linger even in Sci Fi matters, it may go slower than another might). Assuming the fade is slow to nil...

Near future…

Jasper Charming ends up having a mix of his parent's powers, a sort of 'self only' mind control that allows him to ignore pain, and push his body to temporary levels few can ever reach. He has total self awareness of his body, but can not influence others (save by natural charm) and isn't as good as his mother when it comes to reading others. Due to the nature of his powers, Jasper pursues martial arts with great focus, and unless some tragedy enters his life, likes the angst of his father. He enters the family business of both superheroing and the Vegas entertainment industry and becomes quite the accomplished escape artist. As Tempo he battles crime with only a few gadgets to aid him. When magic goes away and powers of others start to fade, this isn't lost on him, and he tries to maintain his edge as best he can. Eventually, he most likely finds himself falling in love with a descendent of some other hero or villain no doubt, and will retire as gracefully as he can.

Terran Empire…

Officer Ingrid Charming- Ingrid (a popular name in the family for some reason) is a half martian half standard terran who spiked very high on the Psi reading. She soon was raised to be a by the book member of the Mind Police for the Empire. Her strongest power being mind control, she ends up with some unsavory tasks assigned to her. Eventually, she ends up running into a group of rogue psis who are called "The Champions". Said psis have records of old earth heroes, including her great ancestor, and fill her in. With an opportunity to turn them in, she instead lets them go. She will always wonder if she did the right thing.

Galactic Champions…

Astral Dr. Robert J. Charming is a leading psychic researcher for the federation. Already a potent psychc, Dr. Charming seeks to use technology to break the barriers that seem to lock most psychic into a limited range of abilities by using certain chemicals and a psi enhancement helmet. Attempting to access telekinetic powers as opposed to telepathic or mind control abilities, something he (and, indeed, the Charmings who've come before him) has never been able to do. Then, the 'Event' occurs (The same one that makes Arcane) in the universe at the same time as his experiment. In one of the first 'Radiation accidents' of the new Age of superheroes, Robert converts the matter of his flesh and bone into pure psychic energy. Trapped between the psychic plane and the reality we know, Astral can possess other beings and form a gestalt with them to form a being of incredible mental power rivaled only by a few. Robert becomes a sort of 'Psychic Captain Universe' who seeks good souls willing to put their own lives at risk as temporary superheroes… and each time the hero is named "Astral".