power armor creation?

ihatecentipeeds

Does anyone know some good guidelines for creating power armor with the hero system (preferably 5th edition). I am new to the whole hero system and want to know if I should use multipower, elemental control or just a bunch of powers lumped together to make a power armor which is cost effective as well. Any help would be appreciated.:)

Any of the above a all viable ways to make power armor. A lot will depend on how the special effects work. Typically, my group tends to go the multipower route, but that has some limitations that may not be appropriate for your group/campaign.

Another way to do power armor is to build it as a vehicle. TUV has a pretty good example of one.

Aroooo

Probably not an elemental control unless it is something odd like sentient ice armor with cold powers.

I would suggest you figure out what you want the armor to do and how it does those things and then buy the powers, advantages, and limitations to do that. Most likely you will want to limit it as an obvious inaccessible focus and might want to use a multipower for various attacks or movement capabilities. Armor would be the most likely power for adding defense. You might also ponder some sort of endurance reserve to power the armor unless it runs off the life force of the person wearing it or it has a built in unlimited power source in which case everything would be bought with 0 endurance cost etc.

I thought there were some examples in star hero. I know defender of the champions is an example at the superhero level.

The most common construct you see in Hero Games books is to define whatever increased Characteristics and/or Powers the armor grants the character, and then apply either the "Focus" Limitation (usually Obvious) if you want the armor to be removable by an opponent after the character is downed, or the "Only in Hero ID" Limitation if you don't.

Primary Characteristics granted by the armor usually also take the "Doesn't Add to Figured Characteristics" Lim unless there's a good special effects reason why they would (biochemical boosters for example); that also makes it easier to keep track of the PC's Characteristic totals out of his armor.

Multipowers are a good cost-saver for related groups of Powers which the character would not normally use simultaneously, such as interchangeable weapon systems or movement abilities. It's hard to justify an Elemental Control for something as versatile as powered armor, as GreyGuardian pointed out.

Vehicles are indeed a viable option, but because they aren't built exactly the same way as characters it's harder to balance a character's abilities built with such armor with other types who don't use it. For a campaign featuring giant mecha, though, the vehicle approach is probably the most appropriate.

That totally depends on what genre you want to use the armor in.

However, since you posted this in the Star Hero forum, I'm going to assume you mean in a Heroic level Sci/fi game.

What I do is design the armor and what powers/abilities it gives the user and apply the Focus limitation to them. Other limitations apply to various abilities in the armor depending on function.

Typical powers used to design the armor include:

Armor (of course): Usually in the 10-15 Def range and hardened at least once (so a typical laser doesn't burn through it)

Damage Reduction: This is to simulate the inherent "toughness" of Powered Armored troopers. In many Sci/fi campaigns, they are notoriously tough to put down and this helps in that arena. Normally I keep this to 25% dam red, only the highest quaility PA gets 50% dam red, and only unique (and horribly expensive!) suits get 75%.

Strength: Nearly all Powered Armor should augment the wearer's STR characteristic. Typically +5 to +20 depending on the function of the armor.

Dexterity: Some PA suits are designed to add to the wearer's mobility (ex: BGC Hardsuit). I normally give bonuses in the +3 to +10 range (higher than +5 is pretty rare though)

Running: Nearly all PA should enhance the wearer's movement. Typically +5 to +10". Also, non-combat movement could be increased as well, though I recommend limiting this to X4 only unless you want your PA troopers running at 150+ Mph.

Leaping: Not only should the armor's enhanced STR increase their leaping, they often have enhanced servos mounted in the legs to increase Leaping ability. +10" to +20" is appropriate, as is increased non-combat multiplier. A PA unit with a vastly larger Leaping bonus than a Running bonus will create PA that travel via "Power Leaping" as per Starship Troopers or Bubblegum Crisis.

Speed: Some light/fast PA are designed to enhance a users reaction speed. I'd keep the bonuses low +1 to +2 speed. higher should be exceptionaly rare.

Enhanced Senses: Powered Armor should have some enhanced senses to help the wearer in combat. Common types include Radar, Sonar (for Underwater units) IR and UV vision. Telescopic vision, enhanced Hearing. Radio and laser communications (Laser Comms should be written up as LOS Mind Link) Motion Detectors, Geo Sensors (detects ground vibrations) and Rad detectors are all good.

Life Support: What good is a PA if your troops can't use them in hostile environments? ALL Powered Armor should have full (or nearly full) life support, including a nutrient supply to keep the trooper in top shape during extended missions (no need to eat on charges) To create life support with a limited air supply, apply continuing charges with a duration (1 hour per charge, or 1 day per charge for PA with a extended air supply)

Flight: Some PA units can fly. This is especially useful if your PA is to be useable in Space. For PA units that can't fly in a normal gravity, but can use its "Jump jets" to fly in Space or low G environment, use Flight equal to the Jump Jets leaping bonus and apply the limitation, only in Micro to Zero G (-1)

Many other Powers can apply to Powered Armor, most especially attack powers (to represent built-in weapons) Defense powers such as Flash defense and Power defense and Force Field (if your campaign supports the tech level for it!) and exotic moment powers like Clinging, Teleport and Swinging. Go nuts!

I don't have my book with me now, but later I will post a sample Powered Armor I wrote up for my Star Hero campaign (Fightech Armor) as an example.