Suggestions for a new character: Ameiko Minoru

Powerhouse

Hi everyone. Below is a character I was going to play in a World of Darkness game that never got off the ground. I decided to design Ameiko before her "event" so that hopefully she'll feel a little more real. This is just a rought draft with a reall shortened background and history. Please feel free to make comments, thanks!

Background/History (shortened): Ameiko Minoru is of Japanese descent. Her father was a highly decorated officer before being shot dead in the line of duty when she was 15. At that point Ameiko, a devout Catholic, had been considering joining a nunnery despite a talent for the martial arts which her sensei felt would have made her a serious contender in professional fighting. Instead, over the objections of her mother, Ameiko resolved to join the force like her father.

As time has gone on, Ameiko has been exposed to more of the harsh life on the streets and grown disillusions with people. She has grown very hardened and disgusted with the scum that stains the streets and has resolved to protect the people she loves from them. Along with her partner, the 15 year veteran Chris Jackson, Detective Minoru tracks down the thugs who would victimize LA.

Little does she know the forces that move in the shadows…

Personality/Motivation: Ameiko is almost two different people. With friends, family, and most people she is kind, caring, and good humored. Among criminals and those she considers lowlifes however, Ameiko is very cold and even malicious to the point of macabre humor. She thinks nothing of leaning on suspects she is convinced is guilty or extorting information. As far as she is concerned, there are three groups: predators, the innocent, and the police who guard the wall between them.

Another reason why she is so tough on criminals is her awareness that she is a small woman on a force dominated by testosterone. Also, criminals take her less than seriously unless given a reason to fear her. Hence, she works very hard to be one of the guys and give not an inch to what she might face on the street.

When off-duty, Ameiko very consciously avoids talking about the job. Instead, she fills the time with her fiancée, working out, seeing friends, and spoiling her niece Theresa who is suffering from leukemia.

Quirks: Gets annoyed when childhood friends call her "Ninja Nun."

Hardcore Steven Segal fan - thinks Van Damme is a poser

Almost always wears a crucifix

Has a red dress that she wears for only "special dates."

Quote: "You know I hate it when I don't think you're scared. Then I have to break something on you to be sure I'm being taken seriously."

Power/Tactics: Ameiko is a well-trained police officer and detective with five years experience on the tough streets of LA. In addition to being a fair shot, Ameiko is a highly skilled martial artist versed in the Japanese disciplines of karate and jujitsu. She is also knowledgeable around a crime scene and has performed admirably as a homicide investigator.

In combat, Ameiko follows the standard police guidelines of appropriate force usually although she bends it as need be. In a non-lethal situation, she will seek to disarm a suspect first before either forcing him into a joint lock or hold rather or pummel them into submission.

If forced into a shootout, she will seek cover immediately and not hesitate to use lethal force. Also, if odds are not in her favor, she will not hesitate to call for backup and retreat as needed while keeping an eye on the suspects.

Appearance: Ameiko is a startling attractive woman of Japanese descent with delicate features that can harden into a steely glare. Her glossy black hair is slightly longer than shoulder length and in a simple style that's easy to maintain. She stands 5'3" and weights 120 pounds with a slender but athletic build that especially shows in her shoulders.

On duty, understated dress casual is the rule with a preference for slacks and short jacket to conceal her shoulder holster. Off-duty, Ameiko tends to wear jeans and tee shirts although her friends and fiancée have been adding more fashionable wear into her closet.

Re: Suggestions for a new character: Ameiko Minoru

Some stats as well. I hemmed and hawed over whether to have her start out as a Skilled Normal (25 + 25) or Competent Normal (50 + 50) but decided that since she's a "main character" that the higher point total might work.

You'll see that she's 10 points heavy and if someone would like to suggest some changes in stats, that'd be great. Also, if there's anything I missed, please let me know as well. I wasn't sure the best way to represent resources she might have a police officer so went with the Police Captain contact.

Edit: I think a higher ego might be a good idea as well. Comments?

Ameiko Minoru

Player:

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

14 DEX 12

13 CON 6

10 BODY 0

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

3 PD 1

3 ED 0

3 SPD 6

5 REC 0

26 END 0

22 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 36

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Mixed Martial Arts

4 1) Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 4d6 Strike

5 2) Offensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 6d6 Strike

4 3) Martial Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 20 STR to Disarm

3 4) Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 2d6 +v/5, Target Falls

4 5) Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 25 STR vs. Grabs

4 6) Joint Lock/Throw: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 2d6 NND ; Target Falls

Martial Arts Cost: 24

Cost Skill

3 CK: Los Angeles 12-

3 Combat Driving 12-

3 Criminology 12-

3 Deduction 12-

1 Forensic Medicine 8-

3 Interrogation 12-

3 KS: Criminal Law 12-

2 Language: Japanese (fluent conversation)

1 Paramedics 8-

3 Persuasion 12-

3 Streetwise 12-

2 WF: Small Arms

8 +1 with All Combat

Skills Cost: 38

Cost Perk

2 Fringe Benefit: Local Police Powers

3 Well-Connected

1 1) Contact: Leader of local Bloods Gang (Contact has been blackmailed by the character, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: useful Skills or resources) (2 Active Points) 11-

2 2) Contact: Local Stoolie (Contact has significant Contacts of his own) (3 Active Points) 11-

4 3) Contact: Police Captain (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: useful Skills or resources) (5 Active Points) 11-

Perks Cost: 12

Total Character Cost: 110

Pts. Disadvantage

15 Dependent NPC: Teresa 8- (Incompetent)

10 Hunted: Police Department 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

10 Hunted: Local Street Gangs 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

15 Psychological Limitation: Sees criminals, lowlifes, and other "scum" as worthless (Common, Strong)

Disadvantage Points: 50

Base Points: 50

Experience Required: 10

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Possible Scenarios for Dark Champions:

1. Something big is going down but you need to know where. Unfortunately, your most trusted stoolie refuses to say anything. Two of the local cops, Ameiko and her partner, are leaning on him to be exclusive to them. You NEED that information but the stoolie won't say anything unless you protect him.

2. Your character intersects with Ameiko during your crime battles. She decides that she likes your vigilante style and insists on joining forces with you. If you refuse, she threatens to bring down as much of LAPD on you as she can.

3. Word on the street is that the local leader of the Bloods is tired of being leaned on by some two bit detective, especially since she started shaking down his dealers for cash. Some investigation shows that Ameiko has started branching out to extortion to raise a great deal of money for her neice's treatments. She refuses to stop until she has enough, even if it endangers her life and work. Do the characters turn in the rogue cop? And how do they protect her from the Bloods' vengeance?

4. Recently broken up with her fiancee as her police work takes a toll on their relationship, Ameiko meets a male PC at the gym, bar, or club and starts up a relationship with her. What if she discovers your secret? And what if she wants to become a costumed vigilante as well?

Some help to trim points

Drop the +1 csl, and increase your dex by 3 points (to 17), this increases your OCV and DCV while saving 2 points, plus makes her a go first as well...If you had the extra 2 points I would say raise it to 18 for the skill boosts as well...

Paramedic Familiarity is an everyman skill in most games, saves 1 point

I would drop one of the strike based MA manuevers (Either Martial Strike or Offencive Strike)

Probably would drop Persuasian as well, as there is the free everman for normal interactions and it sounds like she will use interagation for on the job, saves 3 points

PRE is probably high for the description given, might consider dropping it down either 2 points or more, if you go more than 2 I would consider taking a positive rep vs criminals to keep the PRE attack up vs criminals she has delt with or who have heard of her before...

Pretty nice writeup. I have a Chinese-American NPC female detective in my DC campaign who is quite similar in both attributes and personality. I may just file off the serial number and use this as Ellen Kwan's writeup. All I'd really need to change would be the ethnicity and name.

Detective Kwan also teaches self defense for women at the YWCA.

Another Idea to save points, take away a couple inches of running, it sounds odd until you do the math

Run 6"x Speed 2=12" per turn

Run 4"x Speed 3=12" per turn

So you are still moving at normal speed. For that matter if you just drop 1" you still have a 3" half move...

First of all, thank you everyone for your kind words and replies. They are always welcomed. Especially to the creator of Zi'f since I know how much you put into your characters.

Regarding some suggestions:

Drop the +1 csl, and increase your dex by 3 points (to 17), this increases your OCV and DCV while saving 2 points, plus makes her a go first as well...If you had the extra 2 points I would say raise it to 18 for the skill boosts as well...

Definitely a good point from a point POV. It's also helpful to me since I'm used to superheroic totals and I tend to hit stats in 18, 20, and 23. My only hesitation is that I'd like to have it show that she's a reasonable all around combatant. Then again, a high dex shows that off as well and gives her an edge in initiative. Also, how "real" is it for a police officer to have a level with all combat? They'd probably favor pistol levels (2 pts) or tight maneveurs (3pts). Maybe 17 dex and +1 with martial arts?

The more I think about it, the more I like it. I was worried that maybe going too high in the stats might have been hitting superhuman territory but really, she's just atheletic and fast but still quite human. It works well.

Paramedic Familiarity is an everyman skill in most games, saves 1 point

*nods* great point

I would drop one of the strike based MA manuevers (Either Martial Strike or Offencive Strike)

I might have to disagree slightly in that I like the idea of multiple strikes to represent her karate background. Otherwise she's a bit over powered with her jujitsu skills although that would be more helpful as a policer officer who needs to take in suspects relatively unharmed. Hm...

Probably would drop Persuasian as well, as there is the free everman for normal interactions and it sounds like she will use interagation for on the job, saves 3 points

Another good call. Persuade can be nice or not nice. She doesn't play nice cop. ;)

PRE is probably high for the description given, might consider dropping it down either 2 points or more, if you go more than 2 I would consider taking a positive rep vs criminals to keep the PRE attack up vs criminals she has delt with or who have heard of her before...

Good point as well. She's not, at first glance, the most intimidating person on the planet. She can very easily convey that willingness to HURT you though. Also, she can keep her head together when the crap hits the fan. I'll consider but I think I'll stick with the 15 pre.

As noted above, definitely some great points. I really like the dex idea.

More comments and suggestions, including personality and concept, are welcomed. Thanks again everyone!

Well, over the years, I haven't met many Japanese Catholics, though I have met a few of Japanese who went to Catholic schools, and I know are Japanese Catholics out there. Similarly, there aren't a lot of Japanese American cop families, and there's no real money in pro martial arts for women (as much as it exists at all).

I'm not saying that any of these are bad things to have in her back story. However, somewhere in your mind as you play her, it might help to remember just what an unusual path her family took. She also may have chosen not to fully devote herself to her sport not just because she felt a calling to be a cop, but because in the back of her mind she didn't want to end up just another Tiger Schulmans franchise owner, teaching Kata to twelve year olds and taking trophies while the men took home the (minimal) prize money.

Build wise, I can't add much to the suggestions you've been given. In a Heroic Rules campaign, I'd drop the offensive strike, as her hth damage would be capped at 4d6 (twice STR, as STR is considered the "base" unless she buys extra DCs). However, in a Supers setting she gets the full +4d6. I'd definitely trade the level in combat for some DEX, maybe drop the contacts to 8- (she talks to the captain every day, but he only does her favors on 8-).

Good character.

Well, over the years, I haven't met many Japanese Catholics, though I have met a few of Japanese who went to Catholic schools, and I know are Japanese Catholics out there.

I originally got the idea from Shi of all places since that character I think had Cathlocism in her background. Also, the Europeans in general tried to convert the Japanese to Christainity although this went from adoption by some lords for favors to outright persecution by the Shoguns. Heck, there was even something in the anime Rouroni Kenshin! ;)

That said, clearly more research is in order. Later in the storyline, her faith becomes more important so some background in that I want to work in.

Similarly, there aren't a lot of Japanese American cop familiesand there's no real money in pro martial arts for women (as much as it exists at all).

To be honest, the more I think about it, the lines that inspired the above were pretty cheesy. Thanks for pointing that out (admittedly in a VERY nice way). In storylines you get too much "following the parent." In modern America, can't someone just CHOSE what she wants to do? Which just leads to having more research about WHY she became a cop. That will lead to more insight into her character which is very important.

And yeah, the pro martial art thing was kinda silly. In a martial arts movie type campaign, that fits well enough but I'd like a bit more realism to ground what comes later... this is based on a World of Darkness character I was going to play, after all. Again, why not just have her practice martial arts because she liked them and was good at them? Or maybe she got roughed up once and decided that NO ONE was going to push her around again which leads to her really tough take against criminals. Wow, that sounds a good idea.

I'm not saying that any of these are bad things to have in her back story. However, somewhere in your mind as you play her, it might help to remember just what an unusual path her family took. She also may have chosen not to fully devote herself to her sport not just because she felt a calling to be a cop, but because in the back of her mind she didn't want to end up just another Tiger Schulmans franchise owner, teaching Kata to twelve year olds and taking trophies while the men took home the (minimal) prize money.

Believe me, you aren't being mean at all- you're just pointing out some ideas that I tossed out rather quickly in a rough draft that may not hold up very well (although I do like the very silly Ninja Nun quirk ;) ). Maybe she's some a family of really smart types and Ameiko was more of the jock who got into trouble but also learned to take care of herself and have an ear for the street? Of course she had to sneak out of her catholic boarding school...

I'll do some thinking on it. Thank you very much.

A very rough draft of the very beginning of the events preceding her change. Again, very rough but kicked it out in about 10 minutes and wanted to share - patience never was a strong suit for me:

"Do not put down you ****ing gun Jackson!"

The wind whipped her words away the roof top but Ameiko was sure her partner heard her scream. She was too busy staring down the barrel of her pistol at the figure in front of her to make sure though.

The man was well over six feet tall but so emaciated that his eyes were sunken deep and his sharp cheekbones were ready to slice through parchment skin. The wind rose again and tugged at his trench coat, a ragged black thing that twisted as if given life by the breeze. Long enough it hung to reveal a body of sharp angles and harsh lines that was almost a caricature of a human body in its crane-like proportions.His grip was sure enough though, tendons on the back of his palms standing out in bold relief against blotchy skin as he held the child in front of him as a shield.

"Come, come officers. Protect and serve." His sing-song voice flowed over the detective, slipping through her black jacket and blouse to chill her flesh like icy tentacles. The words quavered not even slightly and held none of the strain that he should have felt as he held the toddler with one hand. "You have to protect the innocent little children and serve me by putting down those nasty little guns. Not that they'd help you…"

The words trailed off carelessly, like the lazy twirling of the dagger that danced among the long fingers of the perp. Whenever Ameiko tightened her grip for a shot though, the bright blade flashed back to the child's throat. The man's words and detached, almost cavalier, manner were belied by his eyes. She had seen eyes like that before: empty and hungry as the manic fire within burned with a frightening intensity. He was a predator of the worst kind: one who killed because he could, because he liked to.

And he would kill her, her partner Jackson, and the child if she let them.

The thought had barely registered when the predator's eyes suddenly locked with Ameiko's and she saw something new- a cold darkness that bore into her soul. Then a whisper into her ear: you can't stop me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...it is very unkind of you to leave us hanging with the origin.

I can only state that I'm still working it out myself, but what brought her to the event and what happens afterwards. Looking above though, it had better be far better written than the crap I put up above. OMG, does that need a rewrite. Even for a rough draft, I expect better of myself.