Monster Slayers Character Review Thread

JmOz

NCM is not a permited disad in this campeign, the characters are expected to be within HCM but going over NCM is apropriate for most characters in one or more characteristics

A point system based on the resource points system in 5th edition DC will be in use, however military tech is the starting level for it, buing up from basic level is not allowed

The first character for review is SSgt Michael Freeman

Mike to his friends grew up in Mississippi, at 18 to pay for college he joined the USMC, where he works as a mechanic in the motor pool. During his time in he has learned to box. His large size (Stands 6'4", and weighs in at 283 lbs) and natural talent as a boxer has got him to the Ulitimate fighting Men Championsship representing his region

SSgt Michael Freeman

Player:

Val Char Cost

25 STR 15

17 DEX 21

20 CON 20

17 BODY 14

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

13 PRE 3

8 COM -1

10 PD 5

5 ED 1

4 SPD 13

9 REC 0

40 END 0

40 STUN 0

7" RUN 2

2" SWIM 0

5" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 98

Cost Power

10 One fist of Iron, the other of Steel: HA +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 10

Cost Skill

15 +5 Block, Grab, Punch

3 KS: Boxing 12-

3 Paramedics 12-

4 WF: Small Arms, Blades, Grenade Launchers

0 PS: Soldier 11-

1 Tactics 8-

3 Mechanics 12-

1 Navigation (Land) 8-

3 Teamwork 12-

4 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Tracked Military Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles, Wheeled Military Vehicles

3 Combat Driving 12-

Skills Cost: 40

Cost Perk

2 Fringe Benefit: Sergeant

Perks Cost: 2

Total Character Cost: 150

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Frequently, Major)

10 Hunted: USMC 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

5 Distinctive Features: Tatoo's (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Psychological Limitation: Loyal (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Patriotic USMC Member (Common, Strong)

10 GM Discression

Disadvantage Points: 75

Base Points: 75

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Re: Monster Slayers Character Review Thread

20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Frequently, Major)

10 Hunted: USMC 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Psychological Limitation: Loyal (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Patriotic USMC Member (Common, Strong)

Personally, I find these a little redundant, as they basically all boil down to the same thing: "Does What The Corps Tells Him To Do." I might allow any two of them, but four seems like overkill. YMMV, or course.

Other than that, he's a good character. :thumbup:

I don't mind the Disad mix myself as such.

In one of my games (and JimOz may use different standards):

Subject to Orders means what it says on the package. THe only caveat that I'd add is that at this level, almost every adventure should involve him being issued significant orders, something many players won't be happy with.

Watched means that, should he appear to be involved in something that the USMC doesn't approve of, he may take some heat. Not unlikely for a monster hunter; it's an open request to the GM to frame him as a drug dealer, stick him in the position of harboring a fugitive, get him romanticly linked to Russian spys, etc. Anything that his superiors can give him a hard time over.

Loyal - Don't mind this. It applies just as much to friends, relatives, anyone who helps him out, etc.

Patriotic USMC Member - I'd see this as the player is asking to be put in a position where he can demonstrate his patriotism. Lots of chances to argue with annoying college kids and demand if people understand what the letter on his hat stands for.

Again, campaigns vary; that's just my take.

Pretty much, the pariotism could be expressed better, but it is based on being patriotic to the USA, not loyal to the corps, but how he expresses it is by a certain "Marine" style, If you have delt with the corps (I did while I was stationed at Biloxi, Ms) you will understand.

Subject to Orders is a campeign disad, all characters are suppose to take (They are all military men/woman) and means that they can and will be told what to do by superiors

Watched, means what oddhat says, plus some more to it.

Loyal as odd hat said is more aimed at his personal life than his branch(Teammates, coworkers, family, etc...)

Yeah, I've worked with quite a few Marines: "Psych Lim: Jarhead" makes prefect sense. :D If that's what you're shooting for, that's fine. Similarly if "Loyal" refers to friends & teammates, that's cool - just clarifying. I still think Subject to Orders & Watched are a little redundant, but that's just me. We've talked about that on other threads and I definitely seem to be in the minority there. :)

Just so you all know, I am still working on this (life got in the way).

I have decided to "up" the characters to 250 point characters, so I will be posting the ups on the good Sarge here in a little bit...