A general question? What about Shields?

TheRavenIs

Re: A general question? What about Shields?

I have all of the old Renegade Legion games by FASA sitting on my shelf. In that setting shields are extremely effective, but consume tremendous amounts of power. To keep power consumption reasonable they are flickered on and off like a strobe. The more powerful the shield generator the more often the shield is on. The game effect of this is that the target's shields applied a negative modifier to the attacker's hit roll.

So, borrowing this (uncharacteristically for FASA) simple mechanic, I propose using DCV for shields. DCV bought for this purpose would likely need the Uncontrolled advantage and the Uses Endurance limitation, along with possible limitations for partial coverage if you wanted independent facings, or to limit the weapon types it works against.

I admit I'm new to the Hero System, so I don't know if I'm missing some reason why this wouldn't work.

I thought the Renegade Legion shields were rated 1 - 9, each representing the amount of time the shield was "on". And that in-game mechanics were that for each attack against a shielded target, you roll a d10, and if the number is less than or equal to the shield's rating the shot hit the shild for no effect. There are no "10" shields as that would be on all the time.

But DCV with maybe an Activation Roll would model that for non-AoE attacks. To make it all attacks might take somehting like Desolidification, or maybe just scads of Force Field.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Renegade Legion shields were rated 1 - 9' date=' each representing the amount of time the shield was "on". And that in-game mechanics were that for each attack against a shielded target, you roll a d10, and if the number is less than or equal to the shield's rating the shot hit the shild for no effect. There are no "10" shields as that would be on all the time.[/quote']

Interceptor and Centurion are 1d10 roll under to hit. A "1" is automatic hit, a "10" is automatic miss and the Base To Hit number is determined by range. The Shield Factor (equal to the Shield Rating divided by 10) is subtracted from the Base To Hit (along with any other appropriate modifiers). Shield Factors go up to 14 in both games.

But DCV with maybe an Activation Roll would model that for non-AoE attacks. To make it all attacks might take somehting like Desolidification, or maybe just scads of Force Field.

That's a good point. I hadn't considered AoE attacks, and DCV based shields would be useless against them. Desolidification sounds like an interesting way to get a similiar effect without the AoE issues, though.

Oh gods no, not DCV for a shield again.

Isn't it bad enough that it's used for actual shields of the fantasy / Capt America type?

Bleargh.

I can understand the sentiment. Perhaps instead of DCV, it were (in 5ER) Missle Deflection? Though IMO my first guesses at Desolidification or Lots of Force Field probably work better in an all-around way.