Popular Guns

Edsel

Re: Popular Guns

I do remember seeing a top 10 list many years ago with the most common handguns used in crime, .38 special led the list followed by a variety of small low powered rounds, most of the rounds the typical PC would want were near the bottom if at all, 9mm was near the bottom.

My PCs are pretty diversified when it comes to handguns; A Browning HP (9mm), A Colt Python (.357 Mag), An H&K Mk23 SOCOM (.45 ACP), A Springfield XD Tactical (.45 ACP) and a Mateba Unica 6 (.454 Casul).

I have been using SKS Carbines for street gangsters, and cheap pistols like a Raven MP25 and/or Phoenix HP25. However I also mix in various 9mm. When I want a real challenge the thugs get street-modified fully auto AK-47s, Mac-10s and the like.

There are legal inexpensive "for entertainment purposes only" devices that will make any semi-auto weapon fire full auto. They are legal to buy and own, but illegal to install. Thus the dealers add a little disclaimer to their sales that state they are for some other purpose than modifying a weapons rate of fire. The reason they are legal is that they don't actually modify the weapon itself. They are called trigger activators. There are two main models I saw, one looks like a little crank handle that clips into the trigger guard and each time you crank the handle a round fires, sort of like a gatling gun. The other was a little spring loaded clamp that inserts into the trigger guard and clamps there. If you pull lightly on the trigger it fires full auto, a medium pull will fire a burst, and a complete pull fires a single round. The idea is that with a little practice you control the rate of fire by trigger pressure. Each of these devices cost less than $40.00 and can be attached or detached in as little as 10 seconds. In addition they fit any caliber semi-auto pistol, rifle, or shotgun.

There are legal inexpensive "for entertainment purposes only" devices that will make any semi-auto weapon fire full auto. They are legal to buy and own' date=' but illegal to install. Thus the dealers add a little disclaimer to their sales that state they are for some other purpose than modifying a weapons rate of fire. The reason they are legal is that they don't actually modify the weapon itself. They are called trigger activators. There are two main models I saw, one looks like a little crank handle that clips into the trigger guard and each time you crank the handle a round fires, sort of like a gatling gun. The other was a little spring loaded clamp that inserts into the trigger guard and clamps there. If you pull lightly on the trigger it fires full auto, a medium pull will fire a burst, and a complete pull fires a single round. The idea is that with a little practice you control the rate of fire by trigger pressure. Each of these devices cost less than $40.00 and can be attached or detached in as little as 10 seconds. In addition they fit any caliber semi-auto pistol, rifle, or shotgun.[/quote']

Technically this is not automatic fire, the legal definition of autofire is multiple rounds fired with one pull of the trigger, these cranky things just pull the trigger really fast which is why they are legal. Might not make much difference to someone down range but... besides I've never heard of these being used in a crime and have always had the impression they were pretty useless in actuallity, never seen or played with one personally.

My PCs are pretty diversified when it comes to handguns; A Browning HP (9mm), A Colt Python (.357 Mag), An H&K Mk23 SOCOM (.45 ACP), A Springfield XD Tactical (.45 ACP) and a Mateba Unica 6 (.454 Casul).

I have been using SKS Carbines for street gangsters, and cheap pistols like a Raven MP25 and/or Phoenix HP25. However I also mix in various 9mm. When I want a real challenge the thugs get street-modified fully auto AK-47s, Mac-10s and the like.

As I recall the .38 special and 9mm were the only "real" cartridges listed, .38 was pretty high up but 9mm was close to the bottom, maybe 7 or 8, the .45 ACP might have been on there but it was like #10 if there at all, it was quite sometime ago.

I don't see many PC's using anything smaller than the 9mm or .38 Special.

Speaking of street conversions you can have some fun with these, they are notoreously funky since they were never meant to be full auto. I took some law enforcement classes when I first got out of high school and one of the instructors told us about an apparent "gang" shooting where 2 gang members were shot in their car, the investigation eventually found they shot themselves with a converted Uzi, apparently they dropped in on the floor and it went off emptying the magazine killing both of them.