Power Limit or Disadvantage?

CrosshairCollie

One of those 'how to build?' things. ;)

The idea is that the character can generate both heat/fire and cold/ice, however making one creates a buildup of the other type of energy in his body (I know, cold isn't energy, it's the LACK of energy, but this is superhero physics). If he doesn't change Special Effects after a certain number of uses, he takes damage.

Would this be more properly built as:

1. A susceptiblity to not switching SFX, or

2. A Side Effect on the Multipower in question?

Re: Power Limit or Disadvantage?

The idea is that the character can generate both heat/fire and cold/ice' date=' however making one creates a buildup of the other type of energy in his body (I know, cold isn't energy, it's the LACK of energy, but this is superhero physics). If he doesn't change Special Effects after a certain number of uses, he takes damage.[/quote']

I've actually been looking at a character like this . . . currently it's on hold until I can finish reading the Advantage/Limitation sections in 5ER so I know how to. My own build is for a character that can only absorb and retain energy (not generate it "from nowhere"), and an imbalance of energy types may cause the power to damage others too, using a Multipower slot (to which reserve points must be allocated, gradually or with Gradual Effect) for the damaging power. END reserves and/or Triggers were going to keep track of the rest.

Is it a straight number of uses you want to look at, or the amount of heat/cold generated? If the latter (which I think you do, by the description you gave), END reserves may be a better way of keeping track for your build as well.

The idea I had was of a person who might concentrate all the heat in their body into one fingertip, or hand to cast a fireball, but then continue to take damage even after they realized it was too intense, because it took time to safely redistribute that heat over their body. They would have some resistance to heat, but either limited in temperature or limited in duration.

This could be represented with (Inherent) PD/ED to heat/fire SFX, and a Multipower slot that points were allocated to, Uncontrollably; as points from the reserve began to feed into it, the damage would be withstood by defenses. Over time, related powers would dwindle as the body began to burn itself out, more END being spent on "controlling" the powers (and taking damage, in the process) than actually doing anything with them.

You might be able to Limit the END reserves (one for heat/fire, one for cold/ice) so that END for one only recovers when you're using the other, and then set a Trigger on the damaging power so that it automatically uses up any excess END by discharging that power through the character.

I haven't eaten all day, so I may be forgetting a problem with using a power outside of its Trigger conditions.

Re: Power Limit or Disadvantage?

It's a Disad.

I don't think it really limits the power enough to have any value as a Limitation. The only thing it does is force him to balance his attacks between the two energy types. That could be a rather slight problem if fighting LavaLord or something, but it would be extremely rare.