Gemini Ascendant Campaign

Nolgroth

Re: Gemini Ascendant Campaign

Thanks for the support guys. :)

Being that you're Comcast (as I recall) you have a dynamic IP address. Mine tends to change about every three weeks. Do a web search for What is my IP and you will get some links to sites that display the IP you presently have. Check it daily and you will find out when it changes.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... I hadn't considered that. Would some be able to connect while others not if I have a dynamic IP address? And if so should I setup/get a static IP address ( I am not sure if I would need to buy a statis IP from my ISP or if I already have one as I am a broadband cable subscriber). If that proves to be the case then this could be more of a server issue than a client issue...

Last time I looked into the MT issue and connecting (because I couldn't either) it seemed to be a Map Tools Reacts Badly To Dynamic IPs rather than anything an end user or ISP could do.

Personally, since I couldn't connect with MT on the last version we tried and I'm not in the mood to fight with one POS program that can't get itself together I don't think it's even an avenue we need to explore unless we downgrade to a lower version of MT (i.e. the last version we were able to use as a group).

Last time I looked into the MT issue and connecting (because I couldn't either) it seemed to be a Map Tools Reacts Badly To Dynamic IPs rather than anything an end user or ISP could do.

Personally, since I couldn't connect with MT on the last version we tried and I'm not in the mood to fight with one POS program that can't get itself together I don't think it's even an avenue we need to explore unless we downgrade to a lower version of MT (i.e. the last version we were able to use as a group).

Im fine with the Orpg myself. But I would like to be able to log into a server at MT. And maybe one day I'll succeed . Don't know if it's the way this one is configured or the fact it's a Dell or what. I'cm going to compare Tim's system to mine and see what programs are different between the two. Maybe just maybe it's a problem outside my computer. Oh well ORPG works just fine for me now.:)

I am not advocating changing from ORPG to MT. I am simply posting the result of my playing with it to try and resolve the issues we had. IMO MT would be a superior platform IF (big if here) I/we/the MT community, can solve the issues that make it problematic. But I am in full agreement that we NEED to stay with what works until or if things change. And even then we may not want to change, but at that point it MIGHT be worth considering. I just enjoy the challenge of trying to figure it out.

Just for the record from the GM chair.

I really want to use MapTool for its mapping/token handling capabilities. I have seen the way more recent versions handle die rolls and such and that has impressed me to no end. So MapTool would be my preference. If it worked without a great deal of effort.

I won't switch Gemini Ascendant again unless and until every single connectivity issue can be resolved for every player. Further, there would have to be a drive on the part of the players as a whole to make me want to switch. MapTool is a shiny new sportscar. OpenRPG is a beat up Ford Pickup. It may have it's own little idiosyncracies, but it is basically reliable. We all want to drive a new sportscar, but when it is time to get the job done, we look to the old workhorse.

Re: Gemini Ascendant Campaign - Status

This is a positive message. Just to make that clear before I go on.

I'm not sure what has changed, but my gaming instincts are starting to kick in. For the first time in a very long time, I had a vivid daydream regarding the campaign. I was lucky enough to have it scored for me personally. Okay, it wasn't scored for me personally, but the Tomb Raider 8 Main Theme is about the perfect music for the daydream I had.

This may seem utterly insignificant at first glance. It is not. The whole Gemini Ascendant campaign was born from a daydream and each subsequent, major plot point has also been spawned of daydream material. I'd say this is an encouraging thought.

Overall, the weather has cooled down at least 10 degrees Fahrenheit over the last couple of weeks. Some days are even cooler. I've increased my overall exercise level as well. Again, seemingly minor points that should not be discarded. I react very negatively to heat. I hate heat and summer drives me into a depression. With the apparent end in sight, I've started to feel better. And the whole sound body, sound mind comes into the mix with the increase activity.

So what has this to do with the Gemini Ascendant status? Everything. I'm feeling good again. I'm feeling creative again. I'm feeling energetic again. I'm having daydreams and listening to music with my eyes closed again. All this is going to lead to better sessions and more story.

I've also sort of exhausted myself on my other big distraction (Battlefield 2142). I still enjoy playing it, but I don't feel the compelling urge to anymore. That has helped.

To my players, now is an excellent time for suggestions on where you would like the plot to go. I'm also going to reorganize the gaming schedule a bit. I would like to stick with Gemini Ascendant for a while so I am putting the Turakian Age setting on the back burner for now.

And I am looking forward to gaming next week. Looking. Forward.

See ya then. :)

You know one of the things that drives me crazy about Sam is I'm constantly running into a wall with where I want to take the character. It's weird.
Really? I hope I ain't the cause of it.

I'm gonna have to email you an idea or two, but man, I'm kind of stuck.
Knowing what you want to do will help.

So' date=' tonight kinda sucked. I couldn't keep a connection for more than 5 or 10 minutes. Even my email kept locking up so I'm pretty sure there was an issue on my end. Sighs.[/quote']

Well it happens to all of us sooner or later. You just provided Nol with a way to suspend the game until he was better prepared. Hopefully next week you won't have any problems.

So' date=' tonight kinda sucked. I couldn't keep a connection for more than 5 or 10 minutes. Even my email kept locking up so I'm pretty sure there was an issue on my end. Sighs.[/quote']

And in the process Sam missed out on one of the best conversations she ever had with Wade. I hope you got the game logs from Nol. It was cool to retcon the scene, but I think I actually prefered the first conversation. Ah well as Solron said it gets us all occasionally.

You have my sympathies. I had started to get intermittent network problems, so I upgraded my wireless router to a D-Link 802.11n protocol. I haven't had any issues since. I still need to upgrade Terrie's laptop to 802.11n, but for now her 802.11g internal seems to be working fine. My desktop is hardwired, and my laptop has internal 802.11n.

Wade has decided that he will best fit in to the scheme of things doing what he does best fly and fight. Wade is going to actively start working on building the best damn fighter squadron the galaxy has ever seen. And they will seek and destroy at Sam's command. We can't have a Star Warsy/Wing Commanderesque battle without star fighters...

I even have a squadron name and logo in mind. And I think Sam will like the logo when she see's it.

Now I gotta help Terrie decide where she wants to take Doc from here...

The computer is on hardwire to the router, not wireless. I think it was just my total 'net connection flaking on me.

Though the break did give me time think of Sam's actual response to the entire evenings discourse.

I'll be sending the whole thing to Nol later, once my email comes back up (my ISPs email server ate itself this morning, I think it is related to last nights difficulties all around). But - you won't be called Sam "Admiral" for reasons she'll be outlining.

I have done a lot of prep work for this game and it came relatively painlessly. I think everything will be ready. I am crossing my fingers and hoping that their are no stinking technical glitches.

See ya in a little bit.

Oh and sorry, but I completely brain fried last week and forgot to save the log. :o

I have done a lot of prep work for this game and it came relatively painlessly. I think everything will be ready. I am crossing my fingers and hoping that their are no stinking technical glitches.

See ya in a little bit.

Oh and sorry, but I completely brain fried last week and forgot to save the log. :o

And ya did good.:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I need a group vote...

I have finally cleared my plate of a couple of projects, and am about to start work on preparing a new campaign, I am kind of feeling the itch to GM again. When the time comes, would you rather I run a Fantasy Hero campaign, or a Dark Champions campaign. The FH campaign would be set in the Echoes of Heaven campaign setting. And the DC campaign is a home brewed setting based loosley on the Dark Matter campaign setting. For any not familiar with Dark Matter, think of the new Sci-Fi series Sanctuary, with a healthy dose of X-Files, ghost hunters, and monster quest thrown into the mix.