Gemini Ascendant Campaign

Nolgroth

Re: Gemini Ascendant Campaign

What is it about me and rules? My brain glazes over. I'll re-read the rule stuff later.

But what I can tell you is that Killian is rigging a self-arming proximity fuse to a fuel rod and turning an auxiliary grav plate assembly into a railgun to fire it. :)

I think we'll strike a good balance here, I like both the sciencey and artsy approaches.

In reverse order,

1) Air and water are more a matter of energy than anything else when you reach the tech level we're talking about. It's not just CO2 scrubbers and filters, you can break down and reform anything below iron on the periodic table relatively easily. Food's probably cheaper to store than make.

2) You don't have to explain the fuel cells, you can just accept the packets of mega-energy. We can surely skip the Treknobabble. I like The different drive systems and the "pockets of commerce" idea.

3) Jump gates: very expensive and vulnerable as targets - one a few and very heavily defended. Long-range between pockets?

4) Smaller and denser systems might make "trade lanes" similar to Freelancer, a series of superconducting rings that amplify a carefully-balanced distortion wave that alters the mass/relativity relations and allows ships to accelerate and decelerate faster. Cheaper than jumpgates, slightly risky, shorter distance (could be used to get ships from a very heavily trafficked system out of the gravity well faster. (What was that I just said about Treknobabble?)

5) Tugs would be ideal for carrying ships out of the gravity well with a full fuel load.

6) Long-range ships would have "fuel drones" that could make fuel from raw materials en route. Small robotic ships that gather material - if a ship uses fusion, they put out massive "nets" and gather hydrogen, if a ship uses exotic matter fuels, the ship would probably travel near stellar nurseries and send out drones designed to collect samples and stuff.

Okay, out of brain now, back later. :)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally will use 6E or Sixth Edition for names.

As for building, depending on the complexity of build converting takes from 5 to 20 minutes. I would say build them as you have time. It could be worth the wait to build Psionics and equipment under 6E. Or you could build them now and I could help with the conversion.

I felt a compulsion to post on Wednesday, no matter how late. Need to be in the habit.

Hopefully, by the time I get started they will have hired me a PFY and I won't be supporting 560 users anymore, and I can get home in time for GAME.

I'm pretty sure Nolgy has a copy of Killian now, and everyone's e-mail address. If not, we'll get you a copy of Killian somehow, GA. I think he may have wanted to go over K one last time - that was literally the most-revised character I've ever had.

Also, why not "sixer" or "6er" (which would inevitably become "ber")?

Or Hexer? HexE (pronounced "Hexie")? Or Hix? :)

6E. No fancy names required. It's that good.

After talking things over with Nol, and looking at all our characters ... some skill standardization needed to be done, mostly for Nol's sanity.

Computer Programming

no categories

(understanding the program requires knowing the language - not programming language, species language - it was done in)

Navigation (2pts each)

Land - standard

Air - standard

Marine - standard

Space - used for Jump Drives

Void - used for Void Drives

Systems Operations (2pts each)

Communications

Environmental

Medical

(Weapons & Navigation are covered by WF & TF respectively)

(understanding the systems may also require appropriate Language knowledge)

Transport Familiarity (2pts each)

Human Spacecraft

Drasalite Spacecraft

Vrusk Spacecraft

Yazarian Spacecraft

(Piloting fighter craft requires Combat Piloting)

Weapon Familiarity (2pts each)

Human Arms

Human Vehicle Weapons

Drasalite Arms

Drasalite Vehicle Weapons

Vrusk Arms

Vrusk Vehicle Weapons

Yazarian Arms

Yazarian Vehicle Weapons

Weaponsmith (2pts each)

Human Arms

Drasalite Arms

Vrusk Arms

Yazarian Arms

There is also the unstated Other Species that Nolgroth has for each category. These are the ones available to the Player Characters until Nolgroth states otherwise.

One could assume that Human and Yazarian are very similar, it's probably easy to learn both. There is enough of a difference that they are distinct classes of categories. As I upgrade to 6E - as much as I can (hey, even I haven't seen the total and complete final rules yet) - these categories will be carried over as Campaign Specific.

I'm also working on a document that will explain all the various Space Engines, both Mechanically and in English, for everyone. Of course, only the plain english version will be shared until 6E is actually released, rest assured the 6E Mechanics will match the proposed 5E Mechanics I've laid out in spirit if the actual Game Mechanics have changed since I can't actually share any of that until officially released after GenCon.

Also, given the removal of Figured Characteristics, the extra break down of the above skills, et al, everyone is getting a point boost. Unless Nol says otherwise I'm assuming this sucks up all your unspent experience (and then some) and we all get to reboot with 0XP. wheeee!

The amount of points is pretty well unimportant at this juncture. Let's assume that each character will have as many points as necessary to fill in the concept for 6E. Leave the Experience alone for now.

Where 6E trims points, trim points. Where 6E costs more, add points. Mostly I just want to see the characters stay true to who they are no matter the point cost. I will need to fill in some details on Ta'Rang. Determining just what the khalha is has been a challenge.

Merovign has sent Killian's sheet. I am pretty sure there will be some questions. Ask them. I am pretty sure that the present version of Killian is the one we most recently did.

So.... I guess we are actually on hold until at least a week after 6E comes out? Or a bit longer so we can get some copies of the book or PDF? Or perhaps if GA gets the characters converted he can send us word/pdf copies of the sheets and then give me a primer on the way new die rolls function? I need both to re-do the macros :(

Yep something like that. Ok So tentative (firm) release of Aug 19th... Hmmm... will there be a PDF? Are they taking pre-orders... Anything suggestions outside of actually going to Gencon (not in the cards this year) to get it early....

Hmm could I send you some money and have you grab a copy for me at Gencon and then send it to me via priority mail from the convention? If so has Hero announced a price yet?

I am sort of freaking out here as you can tell :ugly:

GenCon is the 13th-16th. So it's a hard release date of the 13th on PDF - go read the Front Page News on the Hero Site.

The 19th is the soonest I can play - it's the first Wed after GenCon.

At GenCon you can pre-order the books, I don't have a confirmation but I think the price for both books is 70$. I don't see any reason the PDF won't be out on/around GenCon.

First of all 'wolf, take deep breaths and focus on the inner light. ;)

Second, the start date in August is good because right now I am still the ping pong ball of the office staff. Something weird happens and my schedule fluctuates to compensate for it. I am in a somewhat stable holding pattern for the time being, but that could literally change tomorrow. Its been a pain to keep motivated towards campaign progress. Especially true since we have no 6E books to deal with.

I doubt macros will be that difficult to modify.

I have had some basic ideas for about the next 6 episodes. The hardest concept to integrate is also the one I want to do most. I have also had some ideas on the as yet unnamed replacements for both yazarians and dralasites. The aptly renamed "humans" (which replaced the old humans :D) haven't changed much. Going to keep my concept for the vrusk. Just going to change their shape and name.

So story and setting development does continue. I am just planning on spending this weekend actually writing up some of this stuff in non-game mechanical form. Post encouraging/pestering messages both here and to PMs so I don't let it slide. :)

/me sits in a lotus position

AAAooooUMMMM!!!!! :D

I am good!!! So I have macros completed under 5ER, Do you want me to upload the tokens or wait for 6ER and crank out new ones then. They should be very simple to modify once I have the 6ER stuff in hand.

I suggest that we wait until g-a has the converted characters completed. It may require a "from scratch" rebuild, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

In other news, g-a and I have been discussing some of the problems I've had with HERO. I think one of the things I failed to do was impose and enforce maximum skill rolls and CV levels. That is probably going to happen with the restart. Still figuring out the details of that. I also think I found my "hook" into HERO. We'll see how that works out.

Overall, the last couple of days especially have been good for getting the momentum going. Everything seems like such a challenge at the moment. Restructuring the campaign world, converting over to 6E, and fighting work schedules that change more often than I change my socks. I finally feel like it is starting to fall back into place. Looking forward to our start date.

I am going to start posting more updates starting this weekend. Should be fun.

Racial Abstract – The Changelings (replaces Dralasites)

The Changelings, as they are commonly called, are the longest lived of the species in the Greenbelt. It has been said that each Changeling is a species into and of itself. When they are born, each Changeling has an identical genetic structure to some distant ancestor. As they encounter new environments, species and situations, their highly adaptive DNA evolves rapidly. Since no two Changelings ever follow the exact same life path, no two Changelings are the same being.

Despite this individual evolution, Changelings share many similar traits. The most obvious being their thick skin which can be as tough as elephant hide or as pliable as an octopus. The nervous system and organs are decentralized, allowing for limited shape shifting and the ability to squeeze through tight spaces.

Sensory input for each Changeling is different. When they are first born, they have hyper-acute olfactory senses, but are completely color blind. They are more sensitive, than humans, to pressure change and movement. This tactile sense also feeds into their ability to hear, though that is roughly equal to humans. Changelings speak by channeling air through sacks created internally for just such a purpose. Changelings have proven to be adept at varying the pitch and tone of their voice, which can be rather eerie for the average human.

Changelings tend to accumulate an incredible amount of knowledge and wisdom over the years. They seem almost genetically inclined to see humor and irony where others see dread or despair. No Changeling would claim to be immune to fear, but they react to the presence of danger more than the threat of some uncertain origin.

The Changeling species is the least common in the Greenbelt. It is estimated that less than a million Changelings wander the galaxy. By comparison, Humans tend to have large metropolitan centers on every one of their colonized planets. Humanity is estimated to be about 25 – 40 billion strong in the Greenbelt. The combined bloodlines of the (yazarian replacements) are roughly the same population size as humanity. It is hard to guess at the exact numbers of the Z'Qriun (vrusk replacement) due to their established hive secrecy, but many believe that there are far more of them than the entirety of the other species. That leaves the Changelings vastly outnumbered.

That doesn't bother the Changelings one bit. They travel from planet to planet, site to site, in an inexorable life journey. Not even they know what will come next and that provides them with a contradictory sense of excitement and peace. They are born adventurers and wanderers. A static life would be about the worst thing a Changeling could imagine. For with lack of travel and experience comes stagnation; a fate worse than death in the collective unconscious of the species.

(Keep in mind that I am sort of free forming this whole thing.)

Building a Changeling

All Changelings have the ability to shift their form, adding extra appendages or stretching out to almost three times their length. They can fit through narrow spaces this way. It is very difficult to bind Changelings, as they can shift their forms to escape most forms of bondage.

Despite this elasticity, or perhaps because of it, Changelings are naturally resistant to damage.

Changelings have hypersensitive olfactory senses and can track and identify subjects by smell. Their skin is sensitive to vibration, giving them a sense of hearing that is about as acute as humanity. Their primary weakness is that they have no color vision. Everything is in greyscale.

Changelings are genetically geared towards adaptability. In game terms, they would start out with every one of the Skill Enhancers to represent how quickly they learn and gain new abilities. This adaptability also requires Changeling characters to spend half of their earned XP on abilities that are designed to overcome some situational or environmental hardship that they encountered during the time the XP was awarded for.

In the first part of the game wasn't there jump gates already in use......and wern't we involved with the destruction of one of those gates. I would think that would solve some of the interplantery travel for non jumpdrive ships. Maybe they could be restricted to shorter distance.

The fuel rod idea is a good one. It simplifies the way ships are power and how long they can be flown. The use of fold and void engines is sound . I like the idea that fold engines are newer and more costly and require more maintence then older void engines.

It might still be risky to fly in the void but who said it can't be done. I think if spacers are scared to fly in it. Then someone not wanting to be followed would be more likely to use the viod. So the continued used of viod engines is reasonable to me.

The use of space tug is also reasonable. I can it usage as the same as tug boats pushing barges up and down rivers. Also I see where pirates could be found in conjunction with commercial shipping lanes. This could lead to a fighter ecort business.

As far as long it takes to get from one to the other and by what mode thats really up to Nol concepts of the game mechanics.

I'm interested in what the new concept will be for Yazirians as I really liked the new changling idea.

It appears that Hero 6th won;t be released at Gencon due to print delays. I am not sure whether the PDFs will be available by then or not. In any case with Gencon ending the 16th we may not be ready on the 19th. That only gives us 3 days to tweak character sheets, and macros, plus digest the rules changes.

Hero will be putting up the PDFs for sale on or around the time they get back from GenCon - i.e. ~the 19th.

The first session may just be getting together and going over the campaign changes that Nolgroth has made and getting us all on the same page for the Setting. Which is fine.