ideas for dead alternate worlds

Mark Rand

Re: ideas for dead alternate worlds

"Rocks Fall, Everyone dies" The Earth is caught in the debris from massive collision in the asteroid belt and pelted by meteroic debris for months. The individual impacts aren't completely devestating (there is life) but human infrastructure and society is wiped out and the few survivors died from starvation, disease, etc a long time ago (obviously there were no PC/Protagonist types around to help them survive against the odds!)

I am curious about why some of the first worlds were listed as "Dead" or had to die because of what happened in them. For example, from an objective standpoint, Islam being the dominant religion isn't any "worse" than Christianity being the dominant religion.

To me, the major difference between them involves what the heroes see in the pocket universe.

• 2 weeks later...

One idea came to me today. That is that the various parts of the pocket universe came from a now dead Balkanized Earth. In it, the United States was divided into at least 10 separate countries. An example is the world in Robert Heinlein's novel Friday.

One idea came to me today. That is that the various parts of the pocket universe came from a now dead Balkanized Earth. In it' date=' the United States was divided into at least 10 separate countries. An example is the world in Robert Heinlein's novel [i']Friday.[/i]

Or the world of Kazei 5.

k52033.gif

Drawn by Publis.

The world the areas in the pocket universe were taken from suffered a worldwide financial meltdown about 60 years before whatever killed them occurred. As the United States and Canada fell apart, various forms of government took control of the fragments.

The Republic of Quebec is a French republic.

United North America is an absolute monarchy that was originally rulled over by a popular couple. He was a kind ruler. His queen loved the fashions of the 1960s. Eventually, everyone wore them.

The Republic of Texas, facing financial ruin, allowed itself to be purchased by Saudi Arabia and converted to an Islamic republic.

Alta California is Japanese.

Deseret is a theocracy rulled by the Supreme Bishop. Like the Prophet Incarnate in some of Heinlein's books, he has surrounded himself with a group of women known as the Holy Virgins. Their garb is Islamic in style and, probably, white.

The world the areas in the pocket universe were taken from suffered a worldwide financial meltdown about 60 years before whatever killed them occurred. As the United States and Canada fell apart, various forms of government took control of the fragments.

The Republic of Quebec is a French republic.

United North America is an absolute monarchy that was originally rulled over by a popular couple. He was a kind ruler. His queen loved the fashions of the 1960s. Eventually, everyone wore them.

The Republic of Texas, facing financial ruin, allowed itself to be purchased by Saudi Arabia and converted to an Islamic republic.

Alta California is Japanese.

Deseret is a theocracy rulled by the Supreme Bishop. Like the Prophet Incarnate in some of Heinlein's books, he has surrounded himself with a group of women known as the Holy Virgins. Their garb is Islamic in style and, probably, white.

Deseret is supposed to be Mormon, if that helps any.

Really' date=' you could pick just about any world-ending catastrophe;[/quote']

Some minor-league supervillain had a doomsday device and threatened to use it, but when the government tried to pay the ransom (keeping everything quiet), some superhero from another dimension intervened, saying that giving in to terrorists wasn't ethical.

Oh wait, I think I've posted this one :D:sneaky:

So Mark' date=' these a just partial realities. They are not a total earth but parts.....right?[/quote']

The original plan was that the pocket universe, an island about 2 by 2 miles in a body of water was composed of stuff from various realities.

Later, I had the idea that everything was drawn from various parts of the same Balkanized Earth.

It's also possible that the island's on the same Earth.

I remember that game. As I recall though' date=' that island was bigger.[/quote']

It's an island in a body of water, and composed of stuff from various realities. Size is either unimportant, or being saved up by the GM for that moment when the players are about done, getting bored, and suddenly realize their world is much bigger than they thought it was ;)

It's an island in a body of water' date=' and composed of stuff from various realities. Size is either unimportant, or being saved up by the GM for that moment when the players are about done, getting bored, and suddenly realize their world is much bigger than they thought it was ;)[/quote']

In our case, the largest thing on the island may be the 7000 foot runway that runs along one edge of the island. Along side it are a lighted wind tee, a helipad, a hotel, hangers, and a boat yard of the kind a city might build for its police and fire boats.

The hangers are empty, but can be used for vehicle storage, labs, shops, a gymnasium, a trophy room, a medical area, a library, or a computer and communications area.

Everything else depends on what you want, but there might be a lighthouse and a place to cremate the bodies of the people who were there before they died.

"The Machine Stopped": Technological progress happened much more swiftly on this world, perhaps due to an early concentration of geniuses in just the right place. By the late Twentieth Century, 99% of Earth's population was completely dependent on machines that collected and processed their food, heated or cooled their womb-like homes, and provided entertainment. It was unthinkable to walk on your own, so their legs atrophied. And to make things more efficient, all the machines were controlled from a central network. One day, something went wrong with the triple-redundant failsafes, the repair machines couldn't figure out what it was, and the failure cascaded down the network.

Despite their best efforts, the sluglike, idolent humans were unable to reach the central machine without their transport machines before they froze or starved. There are still a few hundred humans living a Stone Age existence in isolated jungles; they're slowly spreading out, but to a cursory examination, the planet will look "dead."