Hudson City Blues

Ssendam

I was wondering if someone here could give me a bit of detailed information on this product: Hudson City Blues, SKU: HER438. It is an old edition book that Hero Games still has listed in their online store, but there is no description. I am trying to decide whether or not it's worth purchasing based on what it might contain in the way of campaign ideas that could be transposed over to 5th.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Hudson City Blues

Well, its a module (or whatever you want to call it). So it's not going to be anything you NEED. No new rules. No new options.

The layout is rather interesting, in that, the author went to a bit of trouble to lay out a couple of calendars to track goings on.

All the characters are 150pters. A couple of them are pretty interesting, and a couple are rather dull (and a couple are in the middle).

It's a so-so product. Unless you are a completist, I would skip it and save the money to use to buy something new.

I ran this module as a part of my old Omega Team campaign. A link to the campaign log is in my sig. I and my players all enjoyed it. It is a mini-campaign in itself I think it was very worth the price. It follows the standard forumla in that there is a criminal master-mind with a grand plan, the intent of the villian (and even his identity) are not immediately obvious. By the time my players managed to get to the bottom of things and defeat the villian they got a lot of satisfaction out of it.

Thanks for the info, Rapier. Actually, it sounds like something that I'd probably be interested in. I was kind of looking for a "module" of some type that I could transpose. There really isn't a lot of other material to choose from, other than just ideas that are presented within the Urban Abyss book.\

Thanks again.:thumbup:

I ran this module as a part of my old Omega Team campaign. A link to the campaign log is in my sig. I and my players all enjoyed it. It is a mini-campaign in itself I think it was very worth the price. It follows the standard forumla in that there is a criminal master-mind with a grand plan' date=' the intent of the villian (and even his identity) are not immediately obvious. By the time my players managed to get to the bottom of things and defeat the villian they got a lot of satisfaction out of it.[/quote']

Sounds pretty cool, Edsel. If you don't mind, could you give me an idea of the type of theme for your campaign? Like were the characters low grade supers, or Punisher level? Police force? Other? I am running a super cops kind of campaign, so I'm curious how something like that might translate to HCB.

They were heroic characters. 75 points + 75 in disads. There were no real super-powers among the player characters. The Omega Team were a group of vigilantes. There were a few higher tech items (blasters, laser rifles, etc.) but normal firearms were usually just as dangerous/deadly. A few of the characters had super skills (powers that represented their cinematic skills). For example, the martial artist had a low-powered multi-power that featured EBs and RKAs that were based upon what item he found to throw at an opponent. Generally Batman or Captian America sort of stuff.

However some of the foes that the Omega Team faced were paranormal and/or posessed low-powered super abilities.

In my personal opinion Hudson City Blues was THE Drak Champions product that opened my eyes to "How to run a heroic DC campaign?"

The only problem with the plot is that if the villain gets his way the module/ campaign really "reorganizes" some of the layout of the city and more than a few of the gangs and criminal outfits.

But that is also one of the strong points: The campaign really makes a difference for HC.

So I disagree here with Rapier: If you see it, buy it. It#s really worth the money.

So I disagree here with Rapier: If you see it' date=' buy it. It#s really worth the money.[/quote']

Hey, more power to ya. Personally, I don't think I've ever seen a pregenerated adventure that I just positively loved. Probably because I always use a unique campaign-verse and realise the kind of effort it would take sometimes to retro-fit.

To be honest: It is one of the few HERO adventures that I ran as is. Most of the adventures - especially the older 3rd edition Champions ones were just too lame - basically: Follow the red line and bash some heads. Demons Rule was a good one, HUdson City Blues was a great one and I did like Shadows of the City.

BTWA, Ssendam, good adventure campaign if you are looking for some super-powered Dark Champions stuff. Never ran it because it wa sto super for my DC campaign and too dark for my regular Champions thing but if you want to have soem superpoweered carnage (yes, carnage) then thta's the adventure to have.

P.S:: Rapier, just wanted to say that my milage differs on the adventure. Had no intention to "cross swords", so to say.

Especially not with a guy who calls himself "Rapier" ...;)

P.S:: Rapier, just wanted to say that my milage differs on the adventure. Had no intention to "cross swords", so to say.

Especially not with a guy who calls himself "Rapier" ...;)

Heh. Everyone is different. I'm glad you got some good adventures out of it.

Thanks a ton for all of the input, guys. I really appreciate it. It's interesting to get differing opinions. The campaign I am runnning is fairly high powered. The PC's aren't supers. They're just very bad ass normals. Super cops, I guess you could say. Like in the Training Day, The Shield, Carlito's Way sense.. if that makes any sense. The flow and storyline of HBC sounds a lot like what I'm looking for. I think it's going to work out for what I have in mind.