Question for KillerShrike

Truthsayer

Re: Question for KillerShrike

Hey' date=' what graphics program do you use to create the images for your Enforcers? I just got Heromachine and was disappointed.[/quote']

I don't use a program per se.

Mostly I take templates in the DCU Animated / Bruce Timm style (from the various Batman, Batman Beyond, Superman, and Justice League cartoons) and build up from them / modify them to suit in Photoshop, and slap a background and name on them.

Sometimes, for unusual characters, I freehand what I need, but it takes longer and I'm loathe to spend the time on it as I'd rather be doing the content side of things. I try to look for matches that are as close as possible, even if I have to take bits from several templates and frankenstein them together, purely for the time saving aspect of it.

I've probably done 75 or more character illos in this fashion; the first 10 or so were pretty crude (by my current standards). It definitely takes some practice, and Ive gotten better at it with repitiion -- or at least faster with it. Several of the Enforcers Inc characters were among the first ones I did. I later went back and redid some elements of those, but for the most part didnt spend any time on it.

Actually, I should mention that I use the same technique for the PC's in the Nine Arrows campaign, some of the PC's in the Millennial Men campaign (both are also on my web site), and for both the Project PREDATOR and Through A Mirror Darkly adventures that have been published in Digital HERO. Also, all of the art given for examples of various people of the world in the World Of San'Dora section of my website as well.

What about pictures like this on your MetaCyber site?

Peng.jpg

I assume that this is a pic from the 'net. Then processed (contrast, color tone, cropped, etc.) in Photoshop and the extra elements added (lights, backgounds, glowing eyes, etc). But I thought I'd ask. I've always liked this style of picture on your site, btw.

Yes, the Metacyber art is a montage of a background and a portrait superimposed, plus some visual effects and patterns, and application of the "Metacyber" bars and center whirl, and Metacyber logo, all blended together in Photoshop.

So, anywhere from between 4 and 6 images are used to construct each one. I was going for a look influenced by the covers for many cyberpunk books that mixed real and surreal visuals.

They're actually easier and faster to do than the Animated style characters, but since it relies on photographs its much harder (or impossible) to reliably find good photographs usable for the fantasy and superhero genres.

Well, for most of it I just use pure HTML with CSS to control the look and feel.

I use SHTML files (Server Side HTML) for the files that contain packages and content and whatnot that is used on multiple pages so that I dont keep two or more versions of the same text. It all gets built on the fly via server side includes.

The pages that interact with the user are done either using simple javascript in referenced js files (the image rotators and various calculators in the MetaCyber subsite for instance), or ASP pages for the more robust ones (like the Profession Package master page, the NCM Template makers, the Spells page, and the Psionic Powers page for instance).

Kind of a sloppy approach architectually -- but on the other hand I use the easiest combination of tools to present the content on a case by case basis so its flexible and doesnt bog me down in doing techie things when I want to be doing content things.

I host the site with a company called HostWay; I have the "Gold" plan with some specific upgrades:

http://www.hostway.com/web-hosting/index.html

I generally use Beyond Compare by Scooter Software as my ftp client of choice. I used to use WSFTPPro, but BeyondCompare is much better.