Immune to Stun Only

Tech

Re: Immune to Stun Only

Well' date=' while the concept is sound, it [b']is[/b] a strong effect he's going after, so it should cost some points. But let's do the math. By the Book, it looks like this: Desolidification: 40 Points; 0 END +½, Persistent +½ = 80 Active Points; Limitation: Only To Protect Against Limited Type of Attack (-1) = 40 Real Points. Personally, in my games, I'd call this a -2 Limitation, because the LImitation applies ONLY to STUN Only attacks, but not against those which could affect a robot. This brings us down to 27 Real Points. Immunities should be expensive, but to my mind, this cost is very reasonable for the effect.

It all goes back to the fact that it sounds like the attacks are not built within the SFX confines as they are defined.

Gas Bomb - 8d6 EB; Explosive, (-1) STUN Only

If someone brought that into your game, what would your response be? I know what mine would be. Take it NND, Not vs SCB because it's a gas attack and gas attacks should not effect people that don't breath the air.

The character should not be shelling out 10 pts, let alone 27 to compensate his defense for a poorly built attack. The character already has the appropriate defenses for the above attack, he has SCB. Why make him dish out all those points to duplicate what he's already got?

In the best case, the attacks are better built so that they are appropriate to SFX. Worst case, the attacks are assumed to have the appropriate SFX limitations, and the character with the attack doesn't get back the points to which he is being limited by SFX.

Gas Bomb - 8d6 EB; Explosive, (-1) STUN Only

If someone brought that into your game, what would your response be? I know what mine would be. Take it NND, Not vs SCB because it's a gas attack and gas attacks should not effect people that don't breath the air.

What if that same attack were defined as a Psionic Shock Wave? Not an ego attack but wave of mental energy that cause all the synapses in the brain to fire randomly - thus doing STUN to the target, but no real damage? I would consider that to be a perfectly reasonable way to build and define the SFX of a Stun Only attack. Now, because this attack works against an organic mind, it would, logicaly, NOT work against a robot. Is it the onus of the player with this power, or the DM making the NPCs, to pencil in Limitations for every possible contingency? Maybe this attack *would* work on some robots, like Mr. Data with his positronic brain. Some attacks are built a certain way to fit an effect, and sometimes, situations like this occur. But, if the robot in question has this special defense, it gets rid of all the guesswork and clearly defines the mechanic.

LOL ... you and me both Zorn ;) Why Hero doesn't have an Invulnerability power' date=' I have no idea ...[/quote']

I've come to think that it really doesn't make sense except to reference in genre books and give guidelines on house rules as the different visions of invulnerability vary widely and probably deserve more attention at a specific game level than the core book.

Not to nit-pick' date=' I think it's worth pointing out I don't see it as being the "prevalent" opinion (unless simply by which simply "common" is meant).[/quote']

I have no idea whether that position is prevalent in the community. My memory is that it was in those threads, but I may be misremembering.

What if that same attack were defined as a Psionic Shock Wave? Not an ego attack but wave of mental energy that cause all the synapses in the brain to fire randomly - thus doing STUN to the target' date=' but no real damage? I would consider that to be a perfectly reasonable way to build and define the SFX of a Stun Only attack. Now, because this attack works against an organic mind, it would, logicaly, NOT work against a robot. Is it the onus of the player with this power, or the DM making the NPCs, to pencil in Limitations for every possible contingency? Maybe this attack *would* work on some robots, like Mr. Data with his positronic brain. Some attacks are built a certain way to fit an effect, and sometimes, situations like this occur. But, if the robot in question has this special defense, it gets rid of all the guesswork and clearly defines the mechanic.[/quote']

Machine Class of Minds.

Mental powers need to be defined to effect a type of mind. A robot that has a positronic brain should take a Disad that they are affected by Mental Powers.

Again, the robot is already immune to the attack in question...why make him spend a bunch of points to reinforce his immunity?

If I pay for LS: Immunity to all Terrestrial Chemicals, should I then have to pay for Desol (Only vs Chemicals)?

I've come to think that it really doesn't make sense except to reference in genre books and give guidelines on house rules as the different visions of invulnerability vary widely and probably deserve more attention at a specific game level than the core book.

Wasn't there a DH article on Invulnerability? I seem to remember one someplace, but can't for the life of me remember in which one.

Sounds familiar' date=' I believe so, I have a number that I've downloaded and haven't read and a number I still wish to download but I think my subscription expired, still need to renew.[/quote']

Me too. I think I might be down 1 issue.

I'd be interested in seeing it if you're interested in sharing :)

Looking at the projected Active Point Cost of things like 100% Resistant Damage Reduction and Desolidification as a defense, and then factoring in the Limitation "Only Against a Limited Form of Attack", I made a new Power.

It is called, quite simply Invulnerability. It costs 60 Points, and it grants total immunity to a limited class of attacks and/or damage. Things like fire, cold, and electricity are acceptable as-is. If you want to make it even more narrow, add a Limitation. If you want it to be broader, like Invulnerable to Magic, that would be a +1 Advantage. If you wanted to be disgusting, and if the GM will let you get away with it, you could get Invulnerable to all Energy as a +2 Advantage. This, of course, assumes you have 180 points to drop into it.

The main reason I came up with this power was because there is an NPC in my game world known as the Invulnerable Man. Nothing can harm him. Nothing. Yes, I could have just called this GM Fiat, but I wanted an actual mechanic other than something like having his rPD, rED and rMD be 1000 points each with x5 Hardening. Somehow, having a power for Invulnerability seemed "neater" to me.

Mine's at http://www.realschluss.org/x-champions/house_rules/ch_powers_invulnerability.htm

PS - meant to add, basically it used to be higher in cost but that was too much of a disincentive, wasn't worth it to players, nobody ever used it, then I altered it to be cheaper than it is now, and finally landed on the current values.

But values are game-specific, my values won't work for yours, and vice-versa, I find in these discussions.