Sunshine (movie)

Sociotard

I just saw the trailer for the upcoming movie "Sunshine", and it looks good to me. I really liked the music, though I wonder if it's the music that will actually be in the movie. I'm told trailers often get released before scoring is done, so they borrow from other movies.

The science for the movie looks to be pretty bad; the sun is dying and they're sending out a ship to reignite it. Oh well. That's only a smidge worse than setting the earths core back to spinning.

Anyway, the main site is http://www.sunshinedna.com/

another place with the trailer is http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=18413

Re: Sunshine (movie)

Visually interesting, looks like some good action and effects sequences, but the science concept is so horrible that I probably won't watch it. My opinion is that if science can somehow build a ship with hibernation chambers that can withstand close exposure to the sun, it could also build an interstellar ship to look for a suitable home outside the solar system.

I predict that Sunshine will join a growing string of action/effects movies of late that have been based on piteously weak science, like The Day After Tomorrow, The Core and Volcano. You really want to do an effects movie with serious science underpinnings? Try something about the Day After Christmas Sunami, the Hurricane Katrina disaster (not just New Orleans) or the development of earth's first beanstalk to space?

No, nothing explodes in those, do they? *SIGH* What else do we expect from the exceedingly rich morons who finance movies these days? Something that will inspire us to better greatness and provoke creative thought or something like SAW III where people are gloriously tortured, humiliated and eviserated (not necessarily in that order)?

I suppose its always been this way, but is it just me, or have Hollywood's offerings been more ingloriously STUPID in the last decade or so? I mean stupid to the point of annoying, not just the garden variety idiocy I've come to expect.

Matt "Yeah-kinda-disgruntled" Frisbee

Visually interesting, looks like some good action and effects sequences, but the science concept is so horrible that I probably won't watch it. My opinion is that if science can somehow build a ship with hibernation chambers that can withstand close exposure to the sun, it could also build an interstellar ship to look for a suitable home outside the solar system.

I predict that Sunshine will join a growing string of action/effects movies of late that have been based on piteously weak science, like The Day After Tomorrow, The Core and Volcano. You really want to do an effects movie with serious science underpinnings? Try something about the Day After Christmas Sunami, the Hurricane Katrina disaster (not just New Orleans) or the development of earth's first beanstalk to space?

No, nothing explodes in those, do they? *SIGH* What else do we expect from the exceedingly rich morons who finance movies these days? Something that will inspire us to better greatness and provoke creative thought or something like SAW III where people are gloriously tortured, humiliated and eviserated (not necessarily in that order)?

I suppose its always been this way, but is it just me, or have Hollywood's offerings been more ingloriously STUPID in the last decade or so? I mean stupid to the point of annoying, not just the garden variety idiocy I've come to expect.

Matt "Yeah-kinda-disgruntled" Frisbee

Yeah, I'm with you.

I love a good scientific "End of the World" scenario as much as the next gamer, but c'mon, Hollywood! There are a TON of websites with good hard science planet killer events. I guess the big problem with using realistic disasters is that the heros can't actually DEFEAT the problem, they win by surviving, a style that is not popular in the movie world.

Visually interesting' date=' looks like some good action and effects sequences, but the science concept is so horrible that I probably won't watch it. My opinion is that if science can somehow build a ship with hibernation chambers that can withstand close exposure to the sun, it could also build an interstellar ship to look for a suitable home outside the solar system.[/quote'] Well, the search for a new home would be a good idea, but there's no way a colonized world would save the wonderful biodiversity of earth. Yeah, jump ship and find a new one if we have to, but If the planet could be saved, that would be infinitely better.

But yeah, lousy science with pretty pictures.

It worked for Jurasic Park.

The science for the movie looks to be pretty bad; the sun is dying and they're sending out a ship to reignite it. Oh well. That's only a smidge worse than setting the earths core back to spinning.

Sounds a little like the film "Solar Crisis" from 1990....Of course, in that

the astronaut team was being sent to use a super-bomb to redirect a

massive, planet torching, solar flare that is expect to burn the Earth to

cinders.

Apparently the plotline was derived from the Japanese novel "Kuraishisu niju-goju nen" by Takeshi Kawata. And the director of the film was so dissapointed

in the final result that he used the standard Directors Guild pseudonym of

Alan Smithee rather than his real name on the credits.

Personally, I kind of liked the visual style presented. And a talking, semi-

sentient super bomb and a female pseudo-android science officer have a

certain charm to them....Plus cameo/supporting roles by Peter Boyle,

Jack Palance and Charlton Heston. :ugly:

Here's a Wiki link if your interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Crisis_(film)

-Carl-