Imperium Romanum - A fantasy campaign

OddHat

On the Hell and Heavenstones...

Has anyone ever destroyed a Heaven/Hellstone? If so, what are the reputed effects? Massive explosion, throwing everyone into one of your other dimensions? Mutations? A permanent hole in the fabric of your realm? Or simply a disheartening 'thwok' sound? What variations have your scholars found in the tomes of lore?

Has anyone ever touched two Stones together? If so, do records show that anything unusual happened?

Do the Stones wear out? Or perhaps they grow stronger or more refined with use (faintly similar to the idea that pearls become more lustrous the more they are worn against the skin..)

Has there ever been an order of knights whose intent is to destroy all the Stones 'for the good of all', since then there would be no Red sorcerers wreaking mayhem? Without the Sourcing of energy that the Stones provide for magic, the balance of politics could be seriously effected...

Hmm. I hope I'm not intruding on your creative process.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: On the Hell and Heavenstones...

Hmm. I hope I'm not intruding on your creative process.

Nope, the questions are useful. One of the reasons for posting something like this is to get feedback.

I can't promise to answer them all.

1) Breaking a stone gets you smaller stones. As that reduces their power, most people don't do this. Completely smashing a stone gets you sparkly powder that you really don't want to inhale. Some stories talk of joining small stones to form larger ones, but if this technique exists at all then it's a well kept secret. Ordering two stones to merge gets you two stones melted onto one-another, not a true joining.

2) Touching two stones together does nothing special.

3) Not as far as anyone can tell. Cultures that have not discovered how to successfully feed the Gold believe that the Gold is finite, the Red infinite.

4) No, though some Buddhist and Taoist sects would argue that the use of magic is ultimately a harmful distraction from the path to enlightenment. Others argue that it is a vital step on that path.

Re: Imperium Romanum - A fantasy campaign

Immortals

The White, Black, Green, Gold and Red each offer their own path towards greatly extended longevity in the world of the Imperium.

These are the five colors of Eastern philosophy, aren't they?

Yup. The correspondences are built into the magic system where they can be.

*nod*

Any other significance? Like counters to each color of magic and direction needed to face for spells? Or associated elements?

*nod*

Any other significance? Like counters to each color of magic and direction needed to face for spells? Or associated elements?

White feeds and balances against Black, Green derives from White and Black and is consumed by Red, Red balances against Gold.

White roughly corresponds to Air in the Western view and Metal in the Eastern.

Black roughly corresponds to Earth in the Western view and Water in the Eastern.

Red matches Fire in both views.

Green matches Wood in the Eastern view; Western tradition magickers argue that Green is just an aspect of the Black.

Gold matches Water in the Western view and Earth in the Eastern view.

Most of what I write about the system takes the Eastern view, as Buddhism and Taoism are the dominant religions.

On the Eastern influence on your magic system...

Well, that certainly explains why there is no Blue magic in your system.

When you were describing Aspects and possession of Knights my spirits above, you described using Multiform to accomplish this. Since Aspect is a spell, what would the counterspell be for an Aspect spell? Can the other magic-based Multiforms also be dispelled in your system? If so, how? I didn't notice any of your young characters as having Dispel or Suppress in their magic lists.

Knowing you, I'm sure you have an answer to this. Or will think a good one up darn quick. ;)

I like your answers to my Stone questions, and appreciate the answers that weren't given. Even lack of an answer is an answer, right?

When you were describing Aspects and possession of Knights my spirits above, you described using Multiform to accomplish this. Since Aspect is a spell, what would the counterspell be for an Aspect spell? Can the other magic-based Multiforms also be dispelled in your system? If so, how?

On the Mechanics level, Multiform can be Dispelled or Suppressed, like any other non-inherent Power. On the In Game level, a master of White magic could build his Dispel as revealing the true individual to himself, a master of Black could try to command the spirit to flee, or a master of Red or Gold could try to blast the spirit away with raw power.

I didn't notice any of your young characters as having Dispel or Suppress in their magic lists.

Ruibai and Becca are both apprentice magickers. Haemon is a failed magicker with a small Hell Stone, though he could try to come up with something; he'd probably have assistants tie the possession victim down, then use Dispel with the Cumulative advantage and take a minute or two to drive the possessing spirit away (assuming he didn't drain the stone first).

I like the idea of a walking monstrosity from breathing in a powdered Stone...... (no drug pun intended)

Thanks, and the drug ref wasn't intended on this side either. :)

I expect one or two of the Blood Kings of Totun have left anything like a human form long behind them in much that way.

Secrets of the Black – Summoning Continued

Sample Summoning Ritual

Vita, priestess and magicker, decides to call up a daemon of Febris to perform an assassination.

A daemon is a powerful spirit, so the initial Sacrifice needed is going to be expensive. She ends up sacrificing a prize bull, a gift somewhat beyond what is needed.

She performs the summoning in a Sacred Space, a sanctified chapel.

She chooses to employ an Intermediary, hoping to protect herself if the spell goes sour.

Mechanically, the spell looks like this:

Call Daemon: Summon 450-point creatures, Expanded Class of Beings Any Daemon (+¼) (112 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 ¼), OAF Expendable (Sacrifice; Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 ¼), Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the Intermediary; Daemon's Vengence; -¾), Sacred Space Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Requires a prepared and sanctified sacred space; -½), Requires A Platonic Theurgy Roll (-½), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), Real Cost: 19 points

The Sacrifice:

The initial Sacrifice must be appropriate to the Spirit being summoned, and is treated as an expendable OAF. Blood, wine, honey, candles, flowers, etc. might be appropriate depending on the target of the summons. Most Sacrifices are Easy to obtain (wine, flowers, honey). An animal sacrifice is considered Difficult to obtain, as would a ritually significant picture of the target, a rare and expensive food, etc. A prize animal sacrifice, a human sacrifice (only appropriate for the most dangerous of spirits), part of the body inhabited by the Ghost during its life, or similar are considered Very Difficult to obtain. A very specific sort of human sacrifice, or anything actively dangerous to obtain qualifies as Extremely Difficult. As mentioned above, a sacrifice greater than that required can provide a bonus to the summoner’s EGO roll.

The Intermediary:

All Spirit Summons require the Side Effects limitation. A cautious magicker may choose to reduce the value of these Side Effects by -1/4 to have the option of using an Intermediary. The Intermediary must be human and either consent to act as an Intermediary or be unaware of the danger. The Intermediary must not be hostile towards the summoner. The Intermediary must be present and conscious throughout the summoning ritual. If the ritual succeeds and the Side Effects do not occur, the Intermediary is unharmed. If the ritual fails or the Side Effects are incurred, the Intermediary suffers them rather than the summoner. A summoner who has taken the Intermediary option on her side effects but has no Intermediary available may choose to act as her own Intermediary. It does not appear to be possible to apply the Intermediary option to the side effects of Red Magic.

The Sacred Space:

Many Summoning Rituals may only take place in a Sacred Space. This is a limitation, and its value depends on how common such spaces are and how difficult they are to create.

A Summoning Ritual that may only take place in an area sanctified in a simple ritual, or with quickly prepared ritual symbols or items, takes a -1/4 limit. Example: Character must draw a magic circle and use his Magic Skill before performing the ritual.

A Summoning Ritual that may only take place in an area sanctified through lengthy and complex rituals, in a permanent and immobile structure, or in a specific natural setting is worth a -1/2 limitation. Example: Character may only perform the ritual in a chapel before a sanctified alter.

A Summoning Ritual that may only take place in an immobile area of great ritual significance takes a -1 limit. Example: Character may only use power in an ancient Stone Circle.

More severe limitations are possible; see the Window of Opportunity limitation.

Call Daemon: Summon 450-point creatures, Expanded Class of Beings Any Daemon (+¼) (112 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 ¼), OAF Expendable (Sacrifice; Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 ¼), Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the Intermediary; Daemon's Vengence; -¾), Sacred Space Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Requires a prepared and sanctified sacred space; -½), Requires A Platonic Theurgy Roll (-½), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), Real Cost: 19 points

If the Gestures and Incantations are throughout the casting of the spell then they should be -1/2. Also, if the Gestures require both hands (in order to manipulate objects and the like) that's another -1/4.

If the Gestures and Incantations are throughout the casting of the spell then they should be -1/2. Also' date=' if the Gestures require both hands (in order to manipulate objects and the like) that's another -1/4.[/quote']

Thanks, I'll think it over.

Hmm. Maybe I should start looking for a job in New Jersey too... ;)

Oddhat, I don't suppose you have a sample of a couple more mature PCs? I'm curious to see a character with more developed magic and/or fighting skills... Maybe one of your players has already worked one up? Green magic is especially underrepresented in your descriptions and write-ups --- wouldn't want the tree-huggers to get up in arms. or up in branches. or whatever they get up in.

OddHat, it occurs to me that in Xingyi Boxing, the elements (of Chinese tradition) do not merely lead in to one another, but depending on the order in which they succeed one another are either generative or destructive.

The traditional diagrams look rather like pentagrams within pentagons. Around the outside you have the Generative cycle: At the top, Metal, which gives rise to Water; Then, going clockwise, Water, which gives rise to Wood; Wood then gives rise to Fire; and Fire gives rise to Earth; and Earth completes the circuit, bringing us back to Metal.

For the Destructive cycle, the pentagram is drawn from Metal to Wood, which it overcomes; Then from Wood to Earth, which it conquers; then on to Water which is overcome by Earth; and then on to Fire; and finally back to Metal. Each successive element conquering the one before it.

Supposing then, a wizard, sorcerer, or priest had one of each type of Heaven Stone, and laid out the patterns properly, and marked off either the Generative or the Destructive Cycle. What could be accomplished, I wonder?

Winston,

I guess I missed a posting --- I didn't realize that there were different types of Heaven/Hell stones --- I thought all Heavenstones were Gold, and all Hellstone -- Red.

In fact, the Hell and Heaven Stones are identical in substance, but the energy they are charged with defines their capabilities...

Perhaps the other magics create enchanted stones of sorts, but by the way that Oddhat has laid out his system, they would be inferior in versatility...

Still, I like your generative/destructive pentagrams -- that could make for an intriguing spell or ritual, with 5 magickers each adding one of the magic types to the spell. What would such a spell create/destroy? What would it take to convince practitioners of those magics to work together to create such a spell...

OddHat, it occurs to me that in Xingyi Boxing, the elements (of Chinese tradition) do not merely lead in to one another, but depending on the order in which they succeed one another are either generative or destructive.

The traditional diagrams look rather like pentagrams within pentagons. Around the outside you have the Generative cycle: At the top, Metal, which gives rise to Water; Then, going clockwise, Water, which gives rise to Wood; Wood then gives rise to Fire; and Fire gives rise to Earth; and Earth completes the circuit, bringing us back to Metal.

For the Destructive cycle, the pentagram is drawn from Metal to Wood, which it overcomes; Then from Wood to Earth, which it conquers; then on to Water which is overcome by Earth; and then on to Fire; and finally back to Metal. Each successive element conquering the one before it.

Supposing then, a wizard, sorcerer, or priest had one of each type of Heaven Stone, and laid out the patterns properly, and marked off either the Generative or the Destructive Cycle. What could be accomplished, I wonder?

Howdy, Winston, great to have you posting. :)

As I said earlier, the colors of magic do roughly correspond to the traditional Chinese elements, though the emphasis is tweaked.

White-Metal feeds Black-Water which feeds Green-Wood which is consumed by Red-Fire which when exhausted leaves the potential for Gold-Earth which feeds Whiite-Metal, round and round.

It's the more purely destructive nature of Red magic than in the traditional cycle and the non-self sustaining nature of Gold that forces the change in emphasis.

The system does not follow the pure Chinese model.

Note also that White, Black and Green are not stone based; they are types of magic Humans develop within themselves. Only Red and Gold are primarily external (the relationship does go deeper; that's for possible later exploration in the campaign).

That said, you could reasonably have a magicker who made use of all five colors in a variety of ways. It would however be a very rare magicker who could feed both the Red and the Gold for any length of time.

Green magic is especially underrepresented in your descriptions and write-ups --- wouldn't want the tree-huggers to get up in arms. or up in branches. or whatever they get up in.

The goal is to have in depth sections on White, Black, Green, Red and Gold. Red, Gold and Black are done, and White has had its main new mechanics put out there, though more examples of White in use might be helpful. Green I'll get to when I can.