Imperium Romanum - A fantasy campaign

OddHat

Re: Imperium Romanum - A fantasy campaign

I was actually planning a New Circle game for HEROCon' date=' but I'm glad to give this a go instead. Maybe a civil war in Shen Zhou? :)[/quote']

Well, the website has been updated with some info on how to submit a game!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually' date=' I'm currently in Bowie, MD so I guess I could come witness or participate in this little civil war of yours...You all sure do plan ahead --- November 2007?[/quote']

Hey, it was an open 3-day weekend!

Secrets of the Green

It is said that in the time of the Three Emperors of Shen Zhou, the Red Khagan, Great Khagan of the Rus, descended with an army of one hundred thousand men to claim the riches of Gansu province for his barbaric people.

None could stand against the might of the Red Khagan, for he had set a great Hell Stone in the hilt of his hand scythe, and a second in the hilt of his great hammer, and a third in his great helm.

No armor could stand against the All-Cutting Hand Scythe of the Great Khagan, which sliced through finest steel as if through water. No fortification could stand against the All Overcoming War Hammer of the Great Khagan, which tore through stone and iron as if through paper. No blade or point could pierce the armor of the Great Khagan, for with each attack the Hell Stone set in his Unconquerable Helm would flash, and blows against the Great Khagan’s armor would fall away like rain.

With such a war leader, none could stand against the Rus, and the people of Gansu were afraid. “What can we do?” called the people of Gansu. “Who can save us?” they cried. Riders went from the people of Gansu to each of the three Emperors, yet each rejected the people’s pleas for aid.

Emissaries rode to the Emperor of the West. They were treated with no kindness and no courtesy. “Your cloaks are filthy, your money pouches empty, and you have no friends here,” said the officials of the Emperor of the West. “Who cares that you are attacked? Off with you!”

Emissaries rode to the Emperor of the South, but were not permitted to enter his presence. “The Emperor of the South is very busy,” said his court officials, “and can not see you now. Perhaps, if you could wait, he might see you in two years, maybe three?”

Emissaries rode to the Emperor of the East, but with great courtesy he refused their pleas. They were given fine food, and fine wine, fresh horses and many gifts. “This is a terrible thing” said the Emperor of the East, “but Gansu pays taxes also to the West and South. This is a matter for the Emperor of the West. You must seek help from him.”

The Red Khagan descended into Gansu, and his armies began to ravish the land. His mighty army destroyed ten cities, and one hundred towns, and one thousand villages, or so it is said, killing the men and taking the women and children to be sold as slaves. The Emisaries returned, and told their tales.“What is to become of us” wailed the people of Gansu, “if the three Emperors will not send aid?”

“But wait,” said a wise man of Gansu, “what of the Abbot of Green Bat?”

“Yes,” shouted another man of Gansu, “the Abbot of Green Bat is the supreme master of Jade Chi, and his Green Bat style is invincible! We must call on him to help us!”

And so a rider was dispatched to the Green Bat Temple, and the Abbot of Green Bat was told of the terror of the Red Khagan.

“What is this,” said the Abbot of Green Bat, “you pay taxes to three Emperors and not one will raise his arm to shield you? That is unrighteous!”

The Abbot of Green Bat took pity on the people of Gansu, and in three great leaps traveled from his temple in Tianjin to the far borders of Gansu and the vast camp of the army of the Red Khagan.

“See,” cried ten soldiers of the Khagan, “an old man in green! Let us slay him, and take his robes and money pouch!”

But the Abbot of Green Bat drew forth his mighty Green Bat Long Axe, with its shaft of green wood hard as steel and its bat shaped blades of exquisite sharpness. With one great sweep the Abbot killed the ten charging soldiers, and so perfect was his technique that not a drop of blood stained his immaculate robes.

“See,” cried one hundred soldiers of the Khagan, “an old warrior in Green! Let us slay him, and take his robes and magic axe!”

But the Abbot of Green Bat leaped forward to meet the charging soldiers, and with his supreme Jade Chi struck one hundred blows in the space of a second, leaving one hundred soldiers dead on the ground.

“See,” cried one thousand soldiers of the Khagan, “an old god in green! Let us flee and seek the Great Khagan, for men cannot stand against a god!”

And so one thousand soldiers fled before the Abbot of Green Bat.

“It is good,” said the Abbot of Green Bat, “for to kill one thousand men would be excessive, and to fall before them would bring shame to the Green Bat Temple.”

And the Abbot of Green Bat waited at the edge of the camp, confident that the Red Khagan would come and stand before him.

Nor was the Abbot mistaken, for in a crash of thunder the Red Khagan appeared, hand scythe in his right hand and hammer in his left.

“Who is this,” said the Red Khagan, “that dares to kill my soldiers?”

“It is I, the Abbot of Green Bat,” said the Abbot of Green Bat, “and I command you to accept the Buddha, leave these lands, and return with your soldiers to the barbarian north.”

“Hah!” roared the Red Khagan, “I take no commands, and I spit on your Buddha! Your three Emperors have lost the Mandate of Heaven, and Shen Zhou is weak! I shall keep these lands and take more!”

And with that, the Red Khagan struck at the Abbot of Green Bat with his All Cutting Hand Scythe! But the Abbot’s Green Bat Kung Fu was superb, and he turned aside the blow with his Green Bat Axe!

In a true fury, the Red Khagan struck once more, now with his All Overcoming War Hammer that could crush all obstacles! But the Abbot’s Jade Chi was unmatched, and the Abbot’s body swayed to the side, avoiding the terrible blow!

“Fool” roared the Red Khagan, “a battle is not won by dancing, but by power!” And with that, the Red Khagan drew on the Red Chi of his All Cutting Hand Scythe to strike a never miss blow! Deep into the chest of the Abbot of Green Bat the scythe plunged home, and as it tore free a fountain of blood followed!

But the Supreme Jade Chi of the Abbot of Green Bat overcame even the All Cutting Hand Scythe! The terrible wound closed as quickly as it had opened, as if it had never been, and the Abbot of Green Bat turned and with his foot struck a blow that hurtled the Red Khagan back the length of a field!

“The Green,” said the Abbot of Green Bat, “rises from within, an inexhaustible well of strength. The Red is held outside the self, and corrupts all it touches. It will make you a monster, and then destroy you. Abandon the Red, accept the Buddha, and you will know peace.”

“The Red,” roared the Khagan, “feasts upon the Green and the White, and overcomes the Black and the Gold! It is the unquenchable fire, and it shall consume you and your Buddha, and all of Shen Zhou!” Again thunder crashed, and again the Khagan struck at the Abbot of Green Bat!

For hours they fought, and the Abbot did not tire, and the Khagan did not tire. But then the Hell Stones in the All Cutting hand scythe, the All Overcoming War Hammer, and the Unconquerable helm began to lose their glow. Black threads, first slender, then thick, began to show and spread as the power of the Hell Stones grew close to exhaustion.

“Your weapons grow weak,” said the Abbot of Green Bat, “yet my Jade Chi remains strong.” With serpent’s speed and tiger’s strength, the Abbot of Green Bat struck with his axe, twisting the All Cutting Hand Scythe and All Overcoming Hammer from the hands of the Red Khagan. “Now yield,” said the Abbot of Green Bat, “and accept the Buddha, for your power is external, and with but a single Hell Stone you can not hope to stand against my Green Bat Kung fu.”

The Red Khagan shrieked his despair to heaven, but heaven paid no heed. “I spit on your Buddha!” said the Red Khagan, “Even if I yield this day, know that I shall return! Shen Zhou is weak and divided, and one priest or one thousand shall not save it!”

And with that, the Hell Stone set in the Unconquerable Helm flashed, and the Red Khagan, along with his All Cutting Hand Scythe and All Overcoming War Hammer, vanished from the field. Without their leader, the men of his army despaired, and in disarray fled back towards distant Rus with what booty they could carry.

The people of Gansu ran to thank the Abbot of Green Bat, but he was thoughtful. “The Red Khagan may be right,” said the Abbot of Green Bat, “for in a land of three Emperors, only one lone priest came to the aid of the people of Gansu. This must not be.”

And so the Abbot of Green Bat spoke to all the other Abbots and great masters of Shen Zhou, and together they presented their demands to the three Emperors. From that day forth, there would be but one Emperor, and he would serve and defend the nation. If those who wished to be Emperor could not decide among themselves who rightfully held the Mandate of Heaven, it would be decided by the Temples. The three Emperors raged and wept at this news, but they knew that they could not oppose the will of the people as expressed through the Temples united, and so the Emperor of the East was granted ascendancy. Since that time, Shen Zhou has known the peace and Protection of a single Emperor, most of the time.

As to what happened to the Red Khagan, and to the Abbot of Green Bat, that is a different tale.

That is a great story! Though, I did want to call out "Na na na na na na na na na na Green BAT MAN!...

I am sorry.

Thanks, and no worries. Green Bat Kung Fu gives me a Batman vibe as well. :)

The style is from the film Kungfu Cult Master. Not really well showed off here.

Well told legends, as always Oddhat. Nice example of the magic sources as well.

Thanks again. This is the first part to a discussion of what can and can't be done with Green Magic.

Well' date=' never having seen that, I am interested :D[/quote']

B movie staring Jet Li and a bunch of Chinese Kung fu stars and comedians. The Chinese version is much better than the US version, and about 20 minutes longer. The US version cut out all that "plot" stuff. Great ideas and very good SFX for the time and budget, with full Superhero level martial artists. Flying, energy blasts, force fields, magic weapons, transformation attacks, just wild.

I like to think that top level combats and characters in the IR campaign will hit that level; the magic rules do allow for it, especially with a few Heaven or Hell Stones.

Secrets of the Green – Mechanics

Green magic is mechanically simpler than Black, Gold or Red, covering a more limited range of game elements and requiring fewer advantages and limitation. Green magic flows from the White and Black, promoting growth, healing, strength and fertility. Thematically, the master of the Green is the healer, the midwife, the apothecary, the farmer, the yogi, and the martial artist. The following Special Effects are common in Green Magic:

Body Control, some Chi Powers, Healing. Fertility

The following mechanical elements are common in Green Magic:

Healing – the primary calling of the master of the Green. Healing Requires a Skill Roll, and may take Side Effects (affects recipient, Healing goes wrong). Regeneration is not available as Green Magic, though many masters of Green Magic will know quite powerful Healing spells they can use on themselves.

Transformation Attacks – All sorts of Transforms fit into Green magic, most notably infertile to fertile, sick to healthy, even old to young. The reverse of each of these is also possible. More radical transformation attacks (human to frog) can only be accomplished with Red or Gold magic. Requires a Skill Roll and Side Effects are required; Side Effects should represent making worse what the magicker was trying to cure for healing effects, or inflicting the same effect on the magicker for attack powers.

Drains and Killing Attacks: Green magic can be used offensively to cause disease or overwhelm the physical body. Dim Mak techniques, inducing heart failure, inducing seizures, and more can all be accomplished through the Green. RSR and Side Effects are required, with the SE being the infliction of the same effect on the magicker if the skill roll is blown.

Multiform – Just as Black Magic uses Multiform to simulate possession by a Spirit, Green Magic can use Multiform to simulate temporarily greatly increasing physical power. A true Baresark might have an alternate form with greater strength and resistance to harm, or a great yogi might have a Trance State multiform in which his body is almost indestructible. RSR is required, and the Multiform costs END every phase to maintain. Flashier changes (human to wolf) should be performed using the Gold or Red.

High Characteristics: Many High Characteristics may be attributed to mastery of the Green; the campaign caps STR, DEX, CON and BOD at 30, SPD at 7, PD and ED at 12. These are Legendary levels, the kind that would be seen once in a century if that often, and require special permission. RSR, NFC, and Increased END cost to reflect a Green fueled temporary stat boost are acceptable.

Life Support and Talents: Life Supports and Talents can reasonably be given a Green Magic special effect, and suffer no special restrictions. Immortality has its own drawbacks, as discussed in the Immortals section, but these are not mechanics based.

Aid, Succor: These are common enough Green magic effects, and take the standard RSR and Side Effects limits.

Running, Swimming, Leaping: All of these are reasonably common uses of the Green. No special limits are required so long as active points remain below 12; above 12 active points, RSR and Side Effects are required. Special Note: Megascale Leaping and Running have been reported. By default these are assumed to be uses of the Red or Gold, or events that took place in the Dreamlands.

Re: Imperium Romanum : the Green, Red, and Gold

Does the Green, as implied in your first posting, allow control of lower level plants and animals? Does the fertility include the ability to cause miraculous growth of plants, perhaps creating walls of thorns, entangles based on plants, fields/deserts to bloom, etc.?

Now I see that by Body Control, you are implying the Eastern meditative control of the body common in martial arts. This seems to naturally flow into the more miraculous Body Control that your tale demonstrates, such as healing.

Re: Imperium Romanum : the Green, Red, and Gold

Does the Green' date=' as implied in your first posting, allow control of lower level plants and animals? Does the fertility include the ability to cause miraculous growth of plants, perhaps creating walls of thorns, entangles based on plants, fields/deserts to bloom, etc.?[/quote']

Yes as far as controlling lower animals, as detailed in Class One Summoning. Just how much this overlaps with the Black is debated. Yes as far as causing fields or deserts to bloom; the blessing of the fields is a classic use of the Green. If you want a direct and spectacular effect, such as an instant wall of thorns, you should really be using the Gold or the Red.

Re: Imperium Romanum - the Green, the Gold, and the Red

Oddhat,

I'm still hoping you'll give us a writeup of a character that uses mainly Green magic, just for clarification.

Also, regarding the Gold and the Red --- does a magicker have better control of the spellcasting nature of the Stones? I see the bit on the recharging --- that's clear that you need a Meditation or magic roll to succeed, but what if the person is not a magicker and is using a Heaven or Hell stone to cast a spell? Is it basically like a making a wish?

Re: Imperium Romanum - the Green, the Gold, and the Red

Also, regarding the Gold and the Red --- does a magicker have better control of the spellcasting nature of the Stones? I see the bit on the recharging --- that's clear that you need a Meditation or magic roll to succeed, but what if the person is not a magicker and is using a Heaven or Hell stone to cast a spell? Is it basically like a making a wish?

Basic info on Gold and the origins of the stones: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1260484&postcount=35

Basic Info on the Red: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1260492&postcount=36

Details on the Gold, including mechanics:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1264432&postcount=82

Details on the Red, including Mechanics:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1264963&postcount=85

As per the rules on VPPs, anyone holding a Heaven or Hell stone can re-arrange the points in the VPP outside of combat in about one turn (12 seconds) to 1 minute. You just have to clearly visualize what you want.

Gold Magic spells can be cast with no special skill or required roll. This makes gold magic very much like fairy tale wishes. A person who is trained in magic (has a Power skill) can change the VPP in a single Phase. This gives trained magicians using Heaven Stones a significant advantage over the untrained.

Red Magic requires an appropriate Skill Roll or an Ego Roll; anyone can use a Hell Stone with effort. You just have to clearly visualize what you want and "wish hard". A person who is trained in magic (has a Power skill) can change the VPP in a single Phase. This gives trained magicians using Hell Stones a significant advantage over the untrained.

It does require one of several skills to recharge the Gold Magic Reserve, plus magical Talent. This means that untrained and un-Talented persons using Heaven Stones will soon find themselves holding useless rocks.

It doesn't require any special skill to recharge the Red Magic reserve, other than the knowledge that blood is the key. This makes Hell Stones very attractive.

OddHat, what are your feelings on wikis as a resource?

I would like to compile and format this thread and put it on the Hero Wiki. It's a valuable resource and should be more easily accessible.

I've done this with a number of other threads (in Fantasy, Dark Champions, Pulp an Star Hero) - it isn't my preferred archival strategy, but hopefully will encourage Hero gamers to take an interest in adding their own material to the wiki and turning it into a collaborative resource.

OddHat, what are your feelings on wikis as a resource?

I would like to compile and format this thread and put it on the Hero Wiki. It's a valuable resource and should be more easily accessible.

I've done this with a number of other threads (in Fantasy, Dark Champions, Pulp an Star Hero) - it isn't my preferred archival strategy, but hopefully will encourage Hero gamers to take an interest in adding their own material to the wiki and turning it into a collaborative resource.

PMed you.

White feeds and balances against Black, Green derives from White and Black and is consumed by Red, Red balances against Gold.

White roughly corresponds to Air in the Western view and Metal in the Eastern.

Black roughly corresponds to Earth in the Western view and Water in the Eastern.

Red matches Fire in both views.

Green matches Wood in the Eastern view; Western tradition magickers argue that Green is just an aspect of the Black.

Gold matches Water in the Western view and Earth in the Eastern view.

Most of what I write about the system takes the Eastern view, as Buddhism and Taoism are the dominant religions.

Random idea: You can also have green represent earth and black represent aether/the void in Western thought.

Oddhat,

So who would be the classic alchemist -- a magicker of the Black and perhaps the Green? You mention an apothecary, which would be pretty close I guess.

Also, if the Green flows from the Black and White, do you require certain Black magic Talents to access the Green? As far as Mechanics go, is it a minimum number of points spent on Black spells, or a minimum Black magic skill roll, or something else, such as GM approval? ;)

Oddhat,

So who would be the classic alchemist -- a magicker of the Black and perhaps the Green? You mention an apothecary, which would be pretty close I guess.

A magically talented alchemist would have access to White, Black and Green, as well as PS:Alchemist, SS:Herbalism, SS:Alchemy, and support skills on top of that, including languages (Latin, Greek, and Hebrew for a start) and various Knowledge Skills. A non-magically talented alchemist would have just the skills, but his potions and formulas would be no more effective than herbal medicine normally is. An Alchemist with access to the Black and Green could whip up very effective drugs, but they still wouldn't be D&D style potions; for that you'd need Gold or Red magic.

Also, if the Green flows from the Black and White, do you require certain Black magic Talents to access the Green? As far as Mechanics go, is it a minimum number of points spent on Black spells, or a minimum Black magic skill roll, or something else, such as GM approval? ;)

The minimum to get access to Black Magic is Telepathy ("To Hear, to Call") and The Sight through the White; the minimum to get Green Magic is Mind Control, Telekinesis, or Mental Illusions through the Black. Conceptually, you must be able to Perceive (White) and Communicate (White) to learn how to Control (Black), and you must be able to Control (Black) to some degree in order to Heal (Green) or Support (Green).

OK. Back to the potion limitations, if I may: couldn't the alchemist create healing potions, potions of Giant Strength, potions of the Nimble Thief (all Green), etc? Through the Black magic, it would seem that fire bomb pots (i.e., throw them and they explode, releasing a firestorm) would be reasonable creations, as would love potions, no?

Or are you saying that you really don't see potions playing a great role in your campaign and would make even these very cumbersome and expensive to create? The fire bomb pots could be quite the weapon in mass production, serving as grenades, which might not be what you are looking for.

OK. Back to the potion limitations, if I may: couldn't the alchemist create healing potions, potions of Giant Strength, potions of the Nimble Thief (all Green), etc? Through the Black magic, it would seem that fire bomb pots (i.e., throw them and they explode, releasing a firestorm) would be reasonable creations, as would love potions, no?

Or are you saying that you really don't see potions playing a great role in your campaign and would make even these very cumbersome and expensive to create? The fire bomb pots could be quite the weapon in mass production, serving as grenades, which might not be what you are looking for.

D&D style potions aren't part of the campaign.

It has to do with how magic and magic items work in the setting, and how actual alchemists, Chinese and Western, saw their potions and drugs as working. This is another section I have to get to when real life allows.

Heaven or Hell Stones store psychic energy (Chi, Life Force), giving rise to Gold or Red magic depending on the type of energy they are fed and the method used. The conceptual limitations other forms of magic operate under don't apply, though they have limits of their own. You can enchant an item with a Heaven or Hell stone, a temporary item unless you permanently bind the stone to the item. You could create "Healing Waters" ir almost any other effect, but they'd only last so long as the stone in question provided the power. Mechanically, they'd be a slot of Healing or some other power in that Stone's VPP, with appropriate limitations. As soon as the Stone's user did something else with the points, the "Potion" would turn into water.

Black Magic can be used to permanently create items by binding a spirit to that item. You might use that method to make a D&D style potion, but you'd end up freeing the spirit once the potion was metabolized. It might make for a weird little folk tale, but I don't see it as something most magickers would risk.

An herbalist / alchemist with the right skill set could potentially brew up teas / make powders that did pretty much what modern Chinese medicine can do, which is a lot. Analgesics, sedatives, hallucinogenics, oral estrogen, oral testosterone, antibiotics of varying strength, etc. All of these are real effects, not Dependant on magic.

Add Green magic and, so long as the magicker is actually there, all sorts of things are possible. Healing, characteristic boosts, even various sorts of love potion. Take those magically augmented potions when the magicker is not there to apply his power, and they're just water with herbs.

Oddhat,

OK, that's the answer I was sort of expecting.

Could you elaborate on what items might result from binding a spirit to an item? Talking swords? Or is the item more 'imbued' with the spirit, thus providing a certain effect based on the nature/capabilities of the spirit? Or would the capabilities depend on the spell, not the spirit?

From what you are saying, then if the object is destroyed, the spirit would be freed, which as you say, could lead to some interesting plot twists or traps, perhaps.

Keep up the good work. Real life does tend to get in the way, doesn't it?

Could you elaborate on what items might result from binding a spirit to an item? Talking swords?

Think in terms of traditions, folk-tales, myth and legend, not D&D.

More subtle effects come from the Black; ghost cutting blades, lucky talismans (by far the most common, from lucky money finding bracelets to blade turning amulets), dream catching nets, sandals that grant strength and speed to the wearer, a cloak that reduces the chance of a character being seen, etc.

Almost anything is possible with a weapon or device set with a Heaven or Hell Stone, limited by the size of the stone. Cauldrons that raise the dead, hammers that smash fortress walls, scabbards that prevent the wearer from bleeding used to hold swords that make the king one with his land, Helms of true invisibility, ever-full purses, etc.

Either type of item is rare and valuable enough to hang an adventure on.

Well, that's clear.

Different mechanics question: if a magicker Drains/Suppresses one or all of the White magic abilities of a magicker, will this prevent the target from using any Green/Black magics since he/she won't be able to feed the Black, and, subsequently, the Green?