Alen Wars Supers

Scarlet Drake

Hello -

I'm starting to plan for a game set in the Alien Wars timeframe (probably at the begining of the Xenovore push to Earth) where the PCs are superpowered. I'm figuring on making it a low-powered supers game and a little more realistic. (think of the X-men in their flash to the future scenes, where mutants were fighting against the government)

Does anyone out there have ideas, suggestions, experience in running or some resources for planning a game like that?

Dave

Re: Alen Wars Supers

I'd suggest using racial/genetic packages from AW, TE, WoE, and DH30, and taking their respective abilities to the extreme. For example, the team "brick" could be a Heavy with STR 20-25, a Wrestling Martial Art, Find Weakness, Hoist, and a few special abilities from TUB. You could also have an Electric and/or a Rigellian Code-Talker (DH22) for Energy Projector types, a powerful Psionic, etc.

Bob -

Thanks for the idea; that's a good way to go at the issue of what superpowers to give them!

Any brilliant suggestions of source material that I can use to make the setting a little less generic? Are there sourcebooks or pre-generated adventures out there that might fit to the Alein Wars setting?

Also look up the Nehkojin from DH. Super-powered warriors who the Xenovores found to much trouble to try and conquer.

Any relation to certain super-powered anime martial artists is only in your imagination. Trust me on this.

There's an adventure or two in Digital Hero for the Alien Wars setting. I don't recall offhand which issues they were in' date=' though. You should also be able to get some ideas out of [i']Worlds Of Empire[/i].

THE ENEMY OF MY ENEMY: Can three races that hate each other set aside their differences long enough to defend their planet in this Alien Wars adventure? DH 20, PAGE 33

YOUR HOROSCOPE FOR: CAPRICORN: This Alien Wars adventure lands your Star Hero characters on an icy lake world full of Xenovores. DH 21, PAGE 13

(Thanks to JmOz for compiling his list of DH adventures and Table of Contents descriptions, http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24556 ) :thumbup:

There's also a sizeable licensed adventure for AW available in PDF form on the "Licenses" section of the Online Store. Here's the advertising blurb:

Rescue at Karadonna

$4.00

SKU: BhMHERO-MOD01

After years of bitter internal struggle and a barely-checked alien invasion, A united Humanity liberates worlds in the Militarized Zone at a frantic pace. Your company of mostly green recruits is to jump ahead of the main force and rescue captive human settlers from a Xenovore “Camp.”

Easily scaled scenario for use by any size and point-level playing group up to 12 players + GM

12 Pre-generated characters.

Great jumping-off point for a campaign starting in the latter part of the Alien Wars (circa 2365) or as a wrap-up for campaigns set in the late-middle point of the setting.

5 maps

NOTE: This module requires the use of the Alien Wars setting book. It may be played using either the Sidekick light rules or the complete Hero System 5 Edition Revised rules.

I had a similar idea, but instead of just setting it in Alien Wars I wanted my group of normals to somehow go to an alternate dimension (and back a few hundred years) to the mid 2020's, popping out in the middle of the Xenovores invading Earth directly. The various supergroups of the era had banded together to form their own military groups in lieu of the destruction of Earth's traditional forces, and were barely holding on for survival. Because the 'Vores had invaded prior to Tyranon's attack in 2020, superpowers never left the galaxy.

The main purpose was to run a Star Hero campaign set in Terran Empire using the Alien Wars adventures/setting, but also showing my players a kind of "Days of Future Past" for their Champions characters, who I would NPC for them (though I did consider just using some rubber explanation to put their own psyche on that of their Champ's char. to use for that one game).

Either way though, I think using powered chars. in the Alien Wars setting could be terribly cool.

One other published Xenovore of note is Maraud, from Galactic Champions. He's an example of a true superpowered Xenovore with enhanced physical capabilities; lethal, cunning and probably a match alone for a whole team of low-powered heroes such as you describe, particularly if you play up his speed and stealthiness. While I wouldn't advise buying GC just for that character, if you were thinking about it anyway this might tip the scale.