Character: Gary Hobson

Mark Rand

One of my favorite background characters is Gary Hobson of Early Edition. He's a stockbroker turned restauranteur that gets tomorrow's newspaper today. This is my version of him and is adapted, loosly, from the series.

Gary obviously has the proper licenses for being a stockbroker and part owner of a bar & grill, but how would define his special newspaper. I came up with clairvoyance, IAF newspaper, extra time (Gary has to search through the paper), limited to 24 hours ahead, gestures (reading the paper).

While Marissa's guide dog, Princess, is her DNPC, is Marissa Gary's DNPC or a follower? Also, are the cat, Chuck, and Chuck's wife, Jade, a former cat burglar, Gary's DNPCs or followers? (The fact that Jade is a former cat burglar is known to the police, but not the general public.)

Re: Character: Gary Hobson

An assortment of stuff.

Marissa's guide dog, Princess, is a calm, well-manered golden retriever with a reddish coat.

When Chuck and Jade returned from Hollywood, Gary and Marissa suggested that the four become equal partners. Chuck and Jade disagreed. Both thought that Gary should have a 50% share. They also thought that Marissa should have a 30% share. Chuck and Jade each have a 10% share.

Gary runs the place, Marissa handles the books, Chuck handles publicity and worries about everything, and Jade manages the bar and waits tables. She also occasionally pulls jobs for friends in the intelligence community.

Re: Character: Gary Hobson

It was a typical day at the bar. Before it opened for the day, Jade was showing a health inspector through the place, Marissa was handling paperwork, Check was worrying about something, and Gary was busy.

"Looks good," the inspector said. "I smell a cat and a dog."

"We all live upstairs," Jade said. "Gary has a cat."

"I see," the inspector said as they came to the kitchen entrance. Chuck was yelling about something.

"Now what's wrong, Chuck?" Marissa asked from the door between the kitchen and the office. As usual, Princess was at her side.

"Your guide dog's beautiful," the inspector said.

"Thank you," Marissa said. "I agree. We're waiting, Chuck."

"For tonight's promotion, we're going to have a lot of hot dogs and hamburgers. However, we have no buns!"

"Sure, we do," Gary said as he entered with two big bags. "The bakery's truck broke down and I agreed to pick up our order." He set the bags down on a counter and said, "I have eighteen more bags in the truck."

"I'll get my jacket and help you unload," Chuck said as Marissa returned to her work. The inspector signed the documents, handed Jade the sticker, and left.