need help building this power

bubblegmkd

I'm building a character that emits an aura that causes those effected to act apon their base impulses ie. if they wanted something they would take it or maybe an innocent bystander gets in the way of an effected hero and they blast with their energy blast, those that have a code against killing might kill...any help with this one is greatly appreciated.

Re: need help building this power

Originally posted by bubblegmkd

I'm building a character that emits an aura that causes those effected to act apon their base impulses ie. if they wanted something they would take it or maybe an innocent bystander gets in the way of an effected hero and they blast with their energy blast, those that have a code against killing might kill...any help with this one is greatly appreciated.

It sounds like Mind Control xxd6, Radius Area of Effect (+1), 0 END (+1/2), No Range (-1/2), One Command Only: Ignore Your Morality and Act on Impulse (-1).

Of course, you are going to need some serious amounts of dice in the Mind Control, because getting moralistic Superheroes to ignore their morality is at least a +30 EGO effect. Ironically, this power is more dangerous to its owner than those it affects. Think about it - this clown will be surrounded by super-powered imulsive hot-heads who now have no reservations about killing folks who piss them off.

It might be more interesting to keep the power low enough to affect normals-- lots of them-- rather than heroes. It could spread a team awfully thin if they have to stop the villain AND stop a bunch of looters AND those people whose simmering racism just suddenly boiled over and who are now trying to beat the crap out of each other...

Guest zarglif69

Hmmmmm... I'd recommend an AoE 0 End persistant always on no range transform vs. Ego, to change psychological limitations. Mind control wouldn't work very well for this purpose.

Originally posted by zarglif69

Hmmmmm... I'd recommend an AoE 0 End persistant always on no range transform vs. Ego, to change psychological limitations. Mind control wouldn't work very well for this purpose.

I thought about this... only there is a tendency to use Transform as the deus ex machina power, so I try to avoid it whenever possible. I don't understand why you think Mind Control wouldn't work well for this.

Originally posted by The Monster

If EGO represents in part strength of will, perhaps this could be done as a Drain/Suppress EGO, maybe with a -1 limitation only against EGO rolls to resist psychlims?

This is the most original answer I've heard yet, and probably the best. A character's "impulses" should be represented by their Psychological Limitations; anything which lowers EGO makes the Psych. Lims more likely to hold sway.

A vicious melee combatant with the Vengeful psych. lim (Common, Strong) will take vengeance at the least slight, including being cut off in traffic or the sun passing behind a cloud.

A delicate mentalist with the Cautious psych. lim (Common, Moderate) would suddenly be scared to leave her house. No, wait, even the bathroom looks sketchy - best just stay in bed.

Originally posted by Deacon Blues

This is the most original answer I've heard yet, and probably the best. A character's "impulses" should be represented by their Psychological Limitations; anything which lowers EGO makes the Psych. Lims more likely to hold sway.

A vicious melee combatant with the Vengeful psych. lim (Common, Strong) will take vengeance at the least slight, including being cut off in traffic or the sun passing behind a cloud.

A delicate mentalist with the Cautious psych. lim (Common, Moderate) would suddenly be scared to leave her house. No, wait, even the bathroom looks sketchy - best just stay in bed.

Sometimes, though, PsychLims represent just the opposite...the character is fighting his impulses.

My longest-running Champs character was a demon, the soul of a man wrongly condemned to Hell. The game he was in included the "standard comics element" of an ancient tradition of "sorcerer supremes," who had long summoned him to the mortal realm for various tasks.

In dealing with the next-to-last one, he made a comment in jest, "If you're ever killed, *I'll* become a superhero." Unfortunately, the sorcerer *was* killed, and the demon felt that he had given his word.

So, he had the PsychLim "Vow to be a "Superhero". He attempted to act in the way that the sorcerer would have acted, instead of taking more expedient, efficient paths. (The sorcerer was an honorable and merciful man who only killed as a last resort.)

The only time the demon PC ever tried to kill anyone was when he faced off against another demon, who had conspired to kill the sorcerer -- AND who used to be the man who had wrongly condemned him to hell all those centuries ago.