[Plot—Supers] Stalker Ideas Needed

S7Michelle

My players, please don’t read this thread.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Yes, I know it’s tempting, but surprises are fun too you know.

A player in my superheroes game has requested that her character be given a stalker. She has described the type of stalker she wants as a little bit scary, but cool, and with possible romantic overtones. The description has me thinking she wants something like Lotor from the Voltron Series.

The setting is one where approximately one in one hundred people have some sort of mutant ability, though most have minor and or non-combat abilities. The PCs are moderately powerful and work for the city government of Denver as the Denver superhero team. The tone is primarily silver age.

The PC in question is playing a mentalist named Asia. Prior to gaining her powers, Asia had lived in Japan and was being trained as a Geisha. She gained her powers after her virginity had been sold (at a higher than average price) but before the contract could be fulfilled. Asia would have been more than willing to fulfill the contract and was perfectly happy being a geisha, but as a side effect of gaining her powers, she gained an unusual and occasionally disturbing marking on her face. Her geisha house reacted badly, kicking her out and leaving the contract unfulfilled. Asia still has an incredibly low self esteem and is convinced she is ugly, though she really is quite beautiful. The player has also mentioned more than once that she’d like for the person who bought her virginity to come looking for her. So I’ve decided to combine the two and have the stalker be the person who had bought her virginity back in Japan and who is rather upset about the fact that he didn’t receive it.

I’ve already decided that the stalker has mirror related powers which includes the ability to teleport between mirrors, to use mirrors as scrying devices, and access to a mirror realm. I’ve not yet determined the full extent of his powers or provided him with a name. I’m thinking that he probably sells his abilities as a mercenary and possibly as an assassin.

So far he has done the following:

1. Given Asia an attractive antique mirror, which was specially prepared to enable him to use it to enter her room/the base and get around the protections in place. (The PC currently doesn’t have any suspicions about the mirror at all.)

2. Watched Asia though various mirrors, leaving her with a feeling of being watched and occasionally triggering her danger sense.

3. When Asia was astral projecting, caused her to end up in the mirror realm rather than where she was actually going. She eventually made her way out through the mirror he gave her. Dealing with all the mirrors upset the character quite a bit, since she has major self image issues. (The PC doesn’t realize the stalker was responsible for this)

4. Entered her room, via the mirror, and covered her bed with dark crimson rose petals. He didn’t trigger any of the base security devices while doing so. (The PCs rooms have less monitoring and no cameras in them).

Ultimately, he will probably end up kidnapping her leading to scenes where she gets to talk/reason with him and a scene where her PC boyfriend rescues her. (I’m fairly certain she’d prefer to be rescued than to rescue herself.)

But I’d like to build a bit more suspense and have a bit more happen before the kidnapping and would appreciate ideas and suggestions. One of the main problems is that Asia is a very good mentalist and is able to use psychometry on objects, and places. So far, I’ve been lucky, her dice have rolled badly for all of her attempts to track the stalker. But, I don’t expect for her to keep failing rolls in the future.

Any other suggestions about how to make the stalker more interesting, what the story climax should be, etc. are welcome as well.

Re: [Plot—Supers] Stalker Ideas Needed

When the PC uses her psychometry make it only view her (he's reflecting the power back). I would make the stalker sort of a Cosmic being, like Sandman (from his own comic) or Nightmare (from Marvel Comics), one that is tied to mirrors and the Mirror Dimension is his own.

I'm assuming the boyfriend also has powers, if so make them useless in the Mirror Dimension. He has to rescue her without them (also explains why she can't save herself).

Those are some ideas off the top of my head.

One of the great plot twists for the Stalker is that at the climax, we discover the Stalker is actually someone who is well known and respected (although probably not by any of the heroes). Another is discovering that the Stalker is actually herself (her own low self-esteem generated the Stalker as a way of feeling more attractive). Or the manifestation of an unrequited love of a fellow hero (or heroine) that once fully admited, destroys the Stalker.

Oh yeah, the love triangle. The Stalker, her, and an apparent threat in the form of a hero crush could make for much drama. Suddenly, a harmless crush could cause another hero to be a victim of the Stalker's jealousy.

A big focus could be bad dreams, this is her subconscious trying to tell her that she is in danger. The dreams, of course, can have multiple, vague, or just plain misinterepted meanings. This could lead to false accusations of the other heroes. (This goes hand and hand with the young hero with a harmless crush).

Interestingly, the Fourth Edition Champions sourcebook, Watchers of the Dragon, wrote up a Japanese villain almost exactly like what you describe, Kagamishoki the Mirror Demon. His powers include some that you mention: mirror-based Teleportation; Clairvoyant scrying; becoming Invisible by placing his visible image in a nearby mirror (that's the SFX of his "fringe effect"); change the reflections in mirrors (Images); blind a foe with mirror-reflected light; Missile Reflection using mirrors; RKA by breaking a mirror with his foe's reflection in it. He also has more "demonic" abilities like claws, "soul draining" and enhanced senses, and a disguising Shape Shift; plus Martial Arts, and Skills suited to deception and manipulation.

Kagamishoki actively promotes chaos, destruction, and suffering in classic demonic manner. :eg: He's also quite vain and arrogant, easily offended and very vengeful. He can look like almost anyone, but prefers to appear with chalk-white skin, green lips and eyes, purple hair, and wearing black and red robes.

Interestingly' date=' the Fourth Edition Champions sourcebook, [i']Watchers of the Dragon[/i], wrote up a Japanese villain almost exactly like what you describe, Kagamishoki the Mirror Demon. His powers include some that you mention: mirror-based Teleportation; Clairvoyant scrying; becoming Invisible by placing his visible image in a nearby mirror (that's the SFX of his "fringe effect"); change the reflections in mirrors (Images); blind a foe with mirror-reflected light; Missile Reflection using mirrors; RKA by breaking a mirror with his foe's reflection in it. He also has more "demonic" abilities like claws, "soul draining" and enhanced senses, and a disguising Shape Shift; plus Martial Arts, and Skills suited to deception and manipulation.

Kagamishoki actively promotes chaos, destruction, and suffering in classic demonic manner. :eg: He's also quite vain and arrogant, easily offended and very vengeful. He can look like almost anyone, but prefers to appear with chalk-white skin, green lips and eyes, purple hair, and wearing black and red robes.

There's a Fifth Edition write-up of him in The Ultimate Speedster, pages 194-196.

There's a Fifth Edition write-up of him in The Ultimate Speedster' date=' pages 194-196.[/quote']

That was the inspiration for the character actually. I'd forgotten where I'd read about him, but knew it was in one of the Hero books I owned.

When the PC uses her psychometry make it only view her (he's reflecting the power back).

I like that.

I'm assuming the boyfriend also has powers' date=' if so make them useless in the Mirror Dimension. He has to rescue her without them (also explains why she can't save herself).[/quote']

I like that. And yes, the PC boyfriend is a super as well, one with bio-energy powers. And making powers not work right in the Mirror Dimension might be a very good idea.