Skillful of you

Basil

One of the recurrent threads around here is "If you yourself had Powers, what would they be?" This is refined with various restrictions on which powers, how many points, etc.

I thought I'd try something a little different. Suppose that, somehow, you (the Real World® you) are able to add Skills to yourself. Any of the Skills in HERO are available, with the following restrictions:

Nothing but Skills. No Powers, Talents, nor Perks. Enhancers are OK, but you must buy at least 8 Skills that Enhancer applies to.

You can't Limit them, put on Advantages, put them in Frameworks, or do anything else you could if you were allowed to buy Skills as Powers (which isn't allowed, of course).

You can't have a better "roll" than 19-.

You can use any of the optional Skills from The Ultimate Skill, but Hoist can only be used to prevent lifted objects from falling apart. It does NOT give you increased lifting ability.

You have 25 points to buy Skills with, and can take up to 25 points in Disadvantages to buy more Skills with. Remember, you are adding Skills to your real you self.

If you don't want to figure out the precise costs and all that, you can just give us a general idea of what you'd want. :)

Have fun. :D

Re: Skillful of you

Skills I'd choose:

Computer Programming - 5 points

Cryptology - 5 points

Electronics - 5 points

Inventor - 7 points

Systems Operation - 3 points

Take a wild guess at what I want to build.

(The reason I only used 25 points is because I don't want to add to the disadvantages I already have.)

Gosh, what a tough choice!

The real dilemma here is whether I decide to make myself stronger in areas I believe I will be working, or beef up areas where I am traditionally deficient.

For instance, I could by 25 pts worth of languages and knowledges to supplement the ones I already have (which are not insignificant), thus "shortcutting" my way to all kinds of supporting knowledge that would be useful to have in my field but which I don't have time to acquire.

On the other hand, since the points are essentially "free," I could buy skills like Survival, Mechanics, and so on - things I don't think I'll ever need to use, but would really come in handy should I ever been in such a situation.

Without a boost in SPD and maybe CON I can't say I'm all that tempted to take any Martial Arts, although the thought is there. But if I had 25 pts in Martial maneuvers, I'd wind up a bully, so that's a bad idea.

I think I'd split the difference. I'd up my French, German, and Latin to fluent, and pick up Japanese, Chinese, Russian, and maybe something else. I'd buy some general sciences - like Bio and Phys - at 11-, just to round me out. I might pick up a few extra knowledge skills, but this is one area where I am NOT hurting at current, so maybe not. After that, however, I'd buy Mechanics, Electronics, Paramedics, and maybe a few other similar things so that I can "take care of" myself and my loved ones.

And if I could get my girlfriend's permission, I'd buy Seduction. :D

The Altruistic Version:

9 SS: Genetics 18-

9 SS: Immunology 18-

7 Inventor 14-

Let's see how I can do on curing AIDS, various cancers, etc.

The Selfish Version:

15 Gambling 18- (parlay modest starting cash into considerable working capital)

10 PS: Real Estate Investor (parlay considerable working capital into vast wealth)

The Silly Version

10 KS: Everything Known By Every Other Human Who's Ever Lived 19-

10 KS: Everything Except Things Known By Any Other Human Who's Ever Lived 19-

05 Cramming

15 Overconfidence (VCom, Mod)

10 Curious (Com,Mod)

25 True Jack of All Trades, 16-

25 Universal Scholar, (Int roll +5)-

I think knowing most PS and KS would be sweet. I'd probably write books and try to get a do-it-yourself show. I'd also like to travel around the country, doing whatever jobs were available to make money as I go. Maybe even bartering my skills for cash and food and a place to crash.

Grimble