Dispelling Fires

Edsel

According to an example on page 149 of 5ER a Fire Extinguisher is a 10d6 Dispel vs. fire with 12 charges. How many d6 of dispel would a bucket of water be worth? How many d6 would using your foot to stamp out a minor fire be? What about using a blanket to beat out flames? A shovel full of dirt?

I am working on converting a spell that is supposed make the subject's fire fighting ability work five times better than normal. I think it is best to do this as a dispel that is limited by the users ability to fight a normal fire. For instance while under this spell each bucket of water you through on a fire will extinguish 5 times as much as normal. If you are beating a fire out with a blanket this spell will cause you do beat out 5 times as much flame as you normally would. Each stomp of your foot would stomp out 5 times as much flame, etc. In order to make this work I have to set dispel values for the firefighting methods listed above.

Re: Dispelling Fires

Somewhere, and it might just be on my hand-me-down-home-grown GM screens, there is a list of how much damage certain types of fires do. I convert that damage to DCs, calculate the cost and apply the Suppress to that.

I would say, try and figure out how much of a fire you would expect to put out with a bucket of water and figure the cost backwards.

Re: Dispelling Fires

Something like Erkenfresh's suggestion is what I had in mind. I figured that in a Fantasy setting mundane methods of fighting a fire are going to be below what a fire extinguisher will do. I'm going to guess that a bucket of water is the best mundane method that would be available. A bucket would probably do as much dispel as a fire extinguisher in a single PHA (with one charge an a bit of a reload rate) so 60d6 as an upper limit would probably be about right. I'll just need to come up with a rough scale for the numerous lesser methods (shovels of dirt, smothering with blankets, stamping etc.)