Images, Invisibility, Shapeshifting and Telekinesis?

JesterX

I want to create a character who is a master of the Illusions... The idea behind the character was inspired by Candace Willmer from the Heroes TV Serie... but a *LOT* more powerful... The character will be used as a major villain in my upcoming game...

I want my character to be able to impersonate other peoples including the voice.

First of all, It's pretty obvious that I need the Image power with Sight, Hearing and perhaps even the other human senses as well...

Since my illusions won't be able to mask my real identity (Am I right?), I'll need Shapeshift, Isn't it?

Also, If I want my illusions to manipulate the world around and cause some damage, I'll need to pick up some Telekinesis, Fine Manipulation, Area Effect, Right?

And finally, If I want my illusions to hide me totally (I don't want to be seen), Do I need invisibility as well???

Tell me what you think of this concept ...

Re: Images, Invisibility, Shapeshifting and Telekinesis?

I liked the idea of mental illusion... but what about cameras and things without EGO? :(

This is a situation where you need to define the special effect of the ability before you can decide what HERO powers are best used to describe it.

Here's a perfectly valid approach for a mentalist based Invisibility that could easily be adapted to Shapeshift as well:

37 Mental Invisibility: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste, Radio, Touch and Mystic Groups and Spatial Awareness , No Fringe, Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Limited Power Only vs. Sentient Targets That Character Is Aware Of (Not vs. Targets with EGO + Mental Defense Greater than 35; -1) - END=6

I'm not familiar with the series, but here goes:

I want my character to be able to impersonate other peoples including the voice.

That would usually be ShapeShift with the Imitate Adder, but it could just be Disguise, Mimicry, and Acting skills.

Since my illusions won't be able to mask my real identity (Am I right?), I'll need Shapeshift, Isn't it?

Not really. You can project your Image over yourself - it'll still be subject to the usual rules for Images, however.

Also, If I want my illusions to manipulate the world around and cause some damage, I'll need to pick up some Telekinesis, Fine Manipulation, Area Effect, Right?

You can always include the manipulation of the environment into your illusions, but if you want the changes made to be real, then you need something else. TK is good because it's very flexible in what you can do with it. You could also use a good old fashioned EB or RKA, if all you want to do is damage things. If you want to build something permanent with your illusions, TK is probably the best way to go.*

And finally, If I want my illusions to hide me totally (I don't want to be seen), Do I need invisibility as well???

Not necessarily. You can hide yourself with Images - it's just an Image of you not being there. It follows the usual rules for Images, such as allowing for PER rolls to see you.

In short, you don't *need* ShapeShift or Invisibility, but they might be good things to have since they are specifically designed to do those things. Images could do almost everything you want, but less reliably.

Tell me what you think of this concept ...

A fine concept indeed.

*I am reminded of a Monty Python bit where a stage magician builds apartment buildings by hypnosis. It creates a fine, comfortable, low-cost living space - as long as the tenant believes in it.

Do you want cameras to see your illusions?

Actually, that's not the right question.

A security guard watching a live feed via cameras WOULD be affected by mental power based Invisibility. The camera is just providing a Naked Indirect Advantage to his sight. However, if the feed is also being recorded then a later showing of the recording will show the character. Of course, Invisibility based on bending light would cover both situations equally well.

I actually asked the question I intended to ask... because mental illusions wouldn't effect the recorded images... while images would...

if the character cannot fool cameras... then you cannot link the images for the camera's sake...

Actually, that's not the right question.

A security guard watching a live feed via cameras WOULD be affected by mental power based Invisibility. The camera is just providing a Naked Indirect Advantage to his sight. However, if the feed is also being recorded then a later showing of the recording will show the character. Of course, Invisibility based on bending light would cover both situations equally well.

....I'd not previously considered that was how cameras worked, or mental powers for that matter, but it is something to think on.

I PROBABLY wouldn't judge that was how cameras worked, but it makes about as much sense as glasses: I mean they wouldn't normally stop mental invisibility, would they?

My point is... with mental illusions, the person watching the camera would see it happen... but when played beck the recodrding device would not play it back, because it was the mind of the watcher that was effected...

with images, the recording device on the camera WOULD catch it...

seems to be a small thing, but a major one in some situations... and can ahve far reaching consequences in a campaign