Figuring XP

SuperBlue

Okay... how do I go about figuring XP awards in a 75/75 level game? The game is Modern Day Horror (translation: Monsters in a Moder Day setting).

I was thinking that find magic items and gaining Contacts would be one way to handle it... but I'm not gonna load the PC's with Magic Items (doubtful there will be even 1 item per adventure).

And what about XP for encounters. For example, the first encounter will be a pack of 8 Dire Rats (built on 25/25). How do I calculate XP for that? What about 4 Zombies built on 75/75? A Necromancer built on 75/75 with a 25 XP Bonus?

Majorly in need of help here...

I think the concept of XPs being tied to how many opponents the heroes defeat is a good model for level based systems and a bad model for point based systems.

You are essentially going with the dungeons and dragons model if you try to calculate experience based on zombies + number + comparative power to pcs = experience.

In a point based system that can lead to a number of problems. You want to determine experience a little differently. You have to take into account estimated campaign length and how rapidly, over the course of the campaign, you want the heroes to advance.

Lets say you have a group of players who like consistent campaigns and game once a week like clockwork. If they earn 3 xp a week (randomly selected number) then they will earn 156XP per year.

That will put 150 point characters at 306 points at the end of the year (about 15th level in DnD by my guess). At the end of 2 years they'll be at 462 points.

If you're like me and your campaigns last for years characters have to become static after several years to maintain playability (depending on fantasy genre this can be a longer or shorter period of time).

I use the following model:

0 Character made a cameo

1 Character participated in scenario (basic award)

Overcame significant odds +1

Roleplayed well +1

Clever planning or saved the day +1

Wrote a good background +1

Provided artwork I liked +1

Did something useful for the GM (game related) +1

Blatant metagaming -1

Poor roleplaying (incl. poor team spirit) -1

So - basically - players can usually expect to get 2-3 experience per session from me, though I have been known to augment this with favors, occasional contacts, local perks (reputation with the people of X village, for instace), and the like. I do subtract XPs for bad stuff, but the minimum is always 0.

I also give NPCs who make cameos and do something useful for the PCs (including information) a base award of 1.

D-mans post is very good and thorough guideline for XP handling, Dont be afraid to set an upper limit too, to help maintain control of character power growth. If you have it in mind to have them and X power level in 6 months, then don't be afraid to cap their maximum XP per session to 2 or 3. You are the GM after all. :cool:

If you want to be nice, you could supplement the characters who would have earned more XP through exceptional role-play or brilliant ideas and contributions to the story witht he bonus perks and such. This still rewards the players/characters, but also allows you to help them grow in areas many players dont seem to like to spend XP in. :P