Learning Via Audio

Recently I've been getting into podcasting, both listening to a wide range of shows and also having some recordings of my games appear on the Web. Nothing fancy, just a group of us playing Truth & Justice and making execrable puns.

The increasing spread of podcasting has me wondering whether an "actual play" session might make an excellent learning tool for the Hero System. Either a staged session, or a simple introductory adventure with editorial comments added could make the system more accessible for people who find the apparent complexity of Hero initially overwhelming.

It's not a new idea (I seem to recall that Standard Games' DragonRoar system - the one with the Battle Hedgehogs - came with an audio cassette back in the mid-eighties) but these days it's something that could be done for little cost and achieve wide distribution. It might also do something to counter the endless arguments about Hero on the likes of RPGnet.

So, does this sound workable to anyone else? I have to say, I'm not in a position to produce such a thing myself, I'm afraid.

Re: Learning Via Audio

You mean like this?

http://podcast.tlot3.net/

*ahem* Uh... a bit like that, yes! :D

I've not had time to listen to that specific audio, mind you, but it probably does the job. I'm really wondering if a podcast-like recording could make life easier for new and prospective Hero players, maybe as a sort of accompaniment to Sidekick. Clearly the game has a rather skewed image as being wholly impenetrable (fuelled by the inevitable threads on a certain popular forum) and something other than a straight print product might help. Just a thought, anyway.