Unproportionate Proportionately linked powers

Gideon

I am having some trouble with linked.

I understand that when you take linked on a power it is supposed to be used proportionatly to the power it is linked to.

IE: 10d6 flash linked to 10d6 Energy Blast.

For each 1d6 of EB used 1d6 of flash can also be used.

But how does this work for powers who's cost or levels are not proportionate within themselves?

IE #1: 7d6 of flash linked to 13d6 of EB

how many dice of flash can he use per die of energy blast?

IE#2: 11 inches of leaping linked to 9 inches of growth

how many inches of leaping does he gain per inch of growth?

The actual value of the limitation is not in question here (although the powers MUST be considered to be linked proportionately, and the lesser power is linked to the greater power; usually worth -1/2). Please help.

Re: Unproportionate Proportionately linked powers

Linked is one of those Limitations that the options within Hero Designer handle extremely well.

65 Energy Blast 13d6 - END=6

23 Sight Group Flash 7d6 (35 Active Points); Linked (Energy Blast; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; Lesser Power need not be used proportionally to Power with which it is Linked; -1/2) - END=3

The quick and easy way is for the GM to rule that you need to have nice dice ratios to keep the math easy and the game rolling along.

But to be exact, just take the ratio you need and round. For your example, if I use 11d6 of my 13d6 EB, then I use (7x11/13)d6 of Flash, so about 6d6 of Flash. You can use a half die at GM's discretion.

As for your second example, how can you have 9 points of Growth? And what would be the SFX of Growth linked to Leaping?

The rich scare me. They can already evade taxes. - Grim Reaper

As for your second example, how can you have 9 points of Growth? And what would be the SFX of Growth linked to Leaping?

You missread what I posted:

11 inches of leaping linked to 9 inches of growth

Perhapse I should have worded it as such, and if so I am sorry for the confusion...

11 inches of leaping lined to 9 levels of growth

thats 11 points of leaping linked to 45 points of growth. 1 point per inch of leaping, and 5 points per level (or inch) of growth.

Linked is one of those Limitations that the options within Hero Designer handle extremely well.

23 Sight Group Flash 7d6 (35 Active Points); Linked (Energy Blast; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; Lesser Power need not be used proportionally to Power with which it is Linked; -1/2) - END=3

Unfortunately I don't have access to hero designer (and i don't believe it will run on my computer anyway).

But building the powers and figureing the point cost and End cost isn't the problem I am having.

I want to know if I have either of the following powers:

23 Sight Group Flash 7d6 (35 Active Points); Linked (Energy Blast; Lesser Power is Linked to greater power; character can use greater power without using lesser power, but can only use lesser power if he als uses greater power; character must use lesser power in proportion to greater power) -1/2 - END=3

OR

45 Growth 9 levels - END=9

11 Leaping +11 inches (11 Active Points); Linked (Growth; Lesser Power is Linked to greater power; character can use greater power without using lesser power, but can only use lesser power if he als uses greater power; character must use lesser power in proportion to greater power) -1/2 - 1 END

regardless of the value the GM determins the Linked limitation is worth (-1/2, -1/4, or -0)

How much Leaping can I use per level of growth that is active.

I know I could build the power differently. I could simply build it so the flash or leaping is improportionate to the energy blast or growth, but if I don't need to do so I don't want to.

I think this is one of the cases where the math is as easy or as complicated as you want it to be. If you want to use a Limitation based on proportions of 2 powers whose active points are not easily divisible then you just need to do the division and apply consistent rounding rules to come up with a custom chart of all the possible combinations. There is no shortcut to the problem you are creating for yourself here.

I am having some trouble with linked.

I understand that when you take linked on a power it is supposed to be used proportionatly to the power it is linked to.

IE: 10d6 flash linked to 10d6 Energy Blast.

For each 1d6 of EB used 1d6 of flash can also be used.

But how does this work for powers who's cost or levels are not proportionate within themselves?

IE #1: 7d6 of flash linked to 13d6 of EB

how many dice of flash can he use per die of energy blast?

IE#2: 11 inches of leaping linked to 9 inches of growth

how many inches of leaping does he gain per inch of growth?

The actual value of the limitation is not in question here (although the powers MUST be considered to be linked proportionately, and the lesser power is linked to the greater power; usually worth -1/2). Please help.

I would simply determine the ratios, agree them between GM and player, and write them down for future reference so you don't have to do math on the fly. I am inclined to round down, since most limitations are "no more than this amount" (eg. 10 charges is a -1/4, just like 12 charges).

With your examples:

1/2 d6 EB - no Flash

1/2d6 to 1.5d6 EB: 1/2d6 Flash

2d6 to 2.5d6 EB: 1d6 Flash

3d6 to 3.5d6 EB: 1 1/2d6 Flash

4d6 to 4.5d6 EB: 2d6 Flash

5d6 to 5.5d6 EB: 2 1/2d6 Flash

6d6 EB: 3d6 Flash

6.5d6 to 7d6 EB: 3.5d6 Flash

7.5d6 to 8d6 EB: 4d6 Flash

8.5d6 to 9d6 EB: 4.5d6 Flash

9.5d6 to 10d6 EB: 5d6 Flash

10.5d6 to 11d6 EB: 5.5d6 Flash

11.5d6 to 12d6 EB: 6d6 Flash

12.5d6 EB: 6.5d6 Flash

13d6 EB: 7d6 Flash

Growth: Leap

1 level 1"

2 levels 2"

3 levels 3"

4 levels 4"

5 levels 6"

6 levels 7"

7 levels 8"

8 levels 9"

9 levels 11"

You missread what I posted:

Perhapse I should have worded it as such, and if so I am sorry for the confusion...

11 inches of leaping lined to 9 levels of growth

thats 11 points of leaping linked to 45 points of growth. 1 point per inch of leaping, and 5 points per level (or inch) of growth.

Oh, I see. Sorry, my bad. Time to get my prescription for glasses checked.

"How much would you paid now? But wait! There's more!" - Ron Popeil