A slightly different spin on Catwoman

Mark Rand

A shadowy figure scaled the north wall of a mansion in suburban Gotham City. Carefully, he stood on the front porch roof and walked to the nearest window. Using a device from his belt, he bypassed the alarm, then, with a thin knife blade, unlocked the window and entered.

As he crept through the darkened room, a fist caught him in the gut. "I caught intruder," rumbled a large man. "Boss will be happy."

"While he'll be happy, I won't," the intruder mumbled in a feminine tone.

"Bad girl be quiet," the huge man said before hitting her again. This time, she fell to the floor and didn't move. He scooped her up and took her into the basement.

"Found female intruder upstairs," the big man said.

"Put her on the empty table, Hugo," said a gray-haired man in a white lab coat. "After that, you can dispose of the other man."

"Will do," Hugo said as the gray-haired man stripped the female intruder.

"Interesting," the gray-haired man said, looking at the nearly naked woman. "Susan Carstairs."

"Who?" Hugo asked.

"A socialite and fashion model," the gray-haired man replied. "From the looks of things, she's also a cat burglar. She seems like a perfect subject for the feline DNA retroviris, Hugo. Pass me a hypo of it."

Re: A slightly different spin on Catwoman

Susan woke up moments after the retroviris was injected into her arm. "What's going on here?" she asked.

"I'm a scientist," the gray-haired man said. "My man, Hugo, caught you breaking into my house. Instead of turning you over to the police, I decided to use you as the test subject for one of my DNA experiments. We will know in 20 minutes if it worked. If so, I'll use a mind control ray to make you my willing puppet. If it didn't, I'll just kill you and cremate your body."

Twenty minutes later, Susan began snarling. "Good," the scientist said. "It worked. Hugo, please move her into the blue chair."

"Okay," Hugo said. Once her limbs were free, Susan shoved him into a nearby rack of electronic equipment. There was a shower of sparks, and Hugo died.

"My mind ray!" the scientist yelled. He began throwing things at Susan, who ducked, and began looking for her gear. An object smashed the power box. Susan, who had just finished getting her clothes and gear on, ran. As she got to the fence, an explosion rocked the mansion.

Already a skilled cat burglar, Susan's powers have made her even better at her craft.

Being a model and socialite, with an active social calendar, she has plenty of opportunities to case her targets.

Susan's augmented her arsenal, knives, a suppressed pistol loaded with sleep darts, pepper spray, an electronic stun gun, and a telescoping baton, with a bull whip and gloves equipped with retractable claws.

Because of the feline noises she sometimes makes, the press gave Susan the nickname "Catwoman".

Comments, questions, suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Nah' date=' it's a dumb idea that has already been done countless times before, including in a BTAS episode IIRC.[/quote']

You remember correctly. The Batman: The Animated Series episode you're thinking of is Tyger, Tyger.

Susan Carstairs could be an alias for Selena Kyle.

Having never seen the episode, I don't know what changes occurred to Selena, and what I'm going to have to add to the cinematic cat burglar package to recreate her.

I did a little reading on DC's Catwoman and discovered that there have been two, Selena and her friend, Holly. It's possible that Susan is the second Catwoman instead of Holly.

The only child of wealthy parents, who were always away, Susan was raised by Felecia, the family housekeeper. When she was 10, Susan, a skilled athlete, caught Felicia changing into her cat burglar gear. When confronted, she confessed and Susan asked to be trained. Felecia agreed.

Susan's powers emerged at puberty and Felicia helped her hide them. After graduating from high school, Susan became a model and her grace made her a household name. While in Chicago on an assignment, the IRS took much of her family's property for failure to pay 18 years in back taxes and Felicia was wounded while on a burglary in New York City.

Nah' date=' it's a dumb idea that has already been done countless times before, including in a BTAS episode IIRC.[/quote']

I wouldn't say it's dumb. But it has been done before. How about for a twist our cat burglar always has her cat with her. Instead of splicing the burglar with feline DNA, he splices burglar and cat with each other's DNA resulting in a Catwoman and Womancat. Now they're genetically identical twins and rubber science gave one the other's skills but their personalities blended slightly. You can tell them apart from behavior and Womancat still has her neutering scar.

I wouldn't say it's dumb. But it has been done before. How about for a twist our cat burglar always has her cat with her. Instead of splicing the burglar with feline DNA' date=' he splices burglar and cat with each other's DNA resulting in a Catwoman and Womancat. Now they're genetically identical twins and rubber science gave one the other's skills but their personalities blended slightly. You can tell them apart from behavior and Womancat still has her neutering scar.[/quote']

I like this. Rep to you asap.

Susan (Catwoman) may be a were-cat. Molly (Womancat) is a black domestic shorthair. The two are now best friends and may even be able to talk to each other telepathically.