Help with the Avatars

Enforcer84

I'm looking into creating an original campaign world, simply cause I like to do that. One of the villain groups is the Avatars. The Avatars are the embodiments of the physical and mental attributes.

Strength, Agility, Constitution, Intelligence, Ego, Presence, Beauty, and Speed.

I want names for these villains

thus far my working titles are:

Might

Bladewalker

Invinvible

Savant

Willpower

Cult

Lorelai

any ideas on how to represent them or new names?

Well, hmm. Since the villains don't know they are in a game, it's probably likely that they call upon other aspects of the setting or character to define themselves (and therefore, their names). I'm not saying that stats can't be the focus of a character's concept (in fact, I like doing that), but I am saying that it's likely to be more complicated than that.

Maybe they are empowered by some natural essence of humanity's make up; they are the primary stats that define the characters in the world. If so, then perhaps each piece of essence has a name. I'd make them up wholy, but drawing on mythology or theology is good as well. Since they are villains, either the Universe is very dark, or they are the "Dark Side" essence avatars.

Anyway, I'd make each of the essences themselves godlike beings, and the avatars, well, their mortal avatars. This makes The Avatars killable as individuals, but not as a group, as the essences can somehow create new avatars. I'd say they'd need to be reincarnated from birth.

The think they are the epitome of their calling.

Might considers himself the avatar of strength; he is a being created to be a juggernaut. Bladewalker considers herself the avatar of the blade.

Invincible is (as far as he is conserned) just that. He is a martial artist who cannot be harmed...easily.

Savant is the smartest man on the planet (just ask him).

Willpower is a mentalist par excellence.

Cult is a man of preternatural charisma who thinks he is the leader.

Lorelai is a variation of the femme fatale.

They are fairly arrogant and selfish.

This sounds kind of like the tact they took with the Juggernaut at some point, introducing the concept that each of the major mystic Demons/Extra dimensional entities like Cytorrak and made an item that would invest a human as thier avatar. Jugs got his by accident before the items were ripe and thus maintained his own personality, but the other victims/recipients did not IIRC.

Anyhoo, Ive always found themed teams to be cheesy and contrived, but if they see themselves as being the epitome of thier particular schtick and for some reason bind together to wreak random villainy, then I dont see how going the extra distance would be any more corny. Might as well call them by the Latin word for thier shtick. I dont have my English to Latin dictionary handy, but frex Strength -> Potens, Speed -> Callidus IIRC, Dexterity -> Celerity, etc

They end up sounding like a collection of WW disciplines, but there you go......

Highly magical thus far. There is the usual super technology, but magic is just a prevalent if not as "public". I'm skittering back and forth between less costumes and standard superfare. Dunno yet. These guys are kind of minor but powerful.This is what Might is looking like:

Might

Derek Parker

Val Char Cost
75 STR 65
17 DEX 21
40 CON 60
22 BODY 24
10 INT 0
17 EGO 14
20 PRE 10
12 COM 1
30 PD 15
30 ED 22
4 SPD 13
23 REC 0
80 END 0
80 STUN 0
11" RUN 0
2" SWIM 0
30" LEAP 0
Characteristics Cost: 245

Cost Power END
38 Shockwave Attack: Strenght 75, 1 Hex Hole In The Middle Fixed Size (+1/4), Explosion (-1 DC/3"; +1) (94 Active Points); Only vs opponents on the ground Power does not work in Common Circumstances (-1/2), Extra Time Delayed Phase (-1/4), Character May Take No Other Actions (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Requires both hands (-1/4) 9
50 Sonic Boom: (Total: 105 Active Cost, 50 Real Cost) Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. PD), Double Knockback 2x KB (+3/4) (87 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4), Requires both hands (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), Reduced By Range (-1/4) (Real Cost: 43) plus Flash 6d6 (Hearing Group) (18 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4), Requires both hands (-1/4), Linked to Energy Blast (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Reduced By Range (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7) 11
20 Large and In Charge: Knockback Resistance -10"
30 Leaping +15" (30" forward, 15" upward) (Accurate, Position Shift, x4 Noncombat) 3
19 Tireless: +0 STR, Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4) (19 Active Points) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)
30 Toughness: Damage Resistance (30 PD/30 ED)
16 Cannot be stopped: Life Support , Eating: Character only has to eat once per week, Extended Breathing, Longevity: 200 Years, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week
7 Hard to Stop: +7 Mental Defense (10 points total)
10 Hard to Affect: Power Defense (10 points)
10 +5" Running (11" total) 1
Powers Cost: 230

Cost Skill
50 +10 with HTH Combat
3 Breakfall 12-
3 Climbing 12-
10 Defense Maneuver: I-IV
7 Gambling (Chess, Craps, Poker) 13-
9 Interrogation 16-
3 Language: Latin (completely fluent)
3 Navigation (Air, Land) 11-
3 Security Systems 11-
3 Shadowing 11-
3 Stealth 12-
3 Streetwise 13-
6 Survival (Arctic/Subarctic, Mountain, Urban) 11-
3 Tactics 11-
3 Teamwork 12-
3 Scholar
2 1) KS: Occult Lore (3 Active Points) 12-
2 2) KS: Mystic World (3 Active Points) 12-
2 3) KS: Supernatural Beings (3 Active Points) 12-
2 4) KS: Mystic Artifacts & Relics (3 Active Points) 12-
Skills Cost: 123

Cost Perk
4 Fringe Benefit: Membership: The Avatars, Passport
6 Reputation (A large group; 14-) +2/+2d6
3 Well-Connected
14 1) Contact (Contact has: useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (+2) (15 Active Points) 12-
4 2) Contact (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: useful Skills or resources) (5 Active Points) 12-
1 3) Contact (2 Active Points) 11-
7 4) Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: extremely useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) (8 Active Points) 11-
Perks Cost: 39

Cost Talent
3 Bump Of Direction
5 Lightning Reflexes: +3 DEX to act first with All Actions
Talents Cost: 8

Val Disadvantages
15 Distinctive Features: Large, powerfully built man (Easily Concealed; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10 Distinctive Features: Aura of Magical Nature (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
20 Hunted: The Legion of Silver 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
20 Hunted: UNITED 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
10 Hunted: Ultraman 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
5 Physical Limitation: Large Man (250 kg, 7'4'') (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
15 Psychological Limitation: Must be the Strongest (Common; Strong)
20 Psychological Limitation: Loyal to the Order of the Raven (Common; Total)
15 Psychological Limitation: Competative (Common; Strong)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Cold Iron based attacks (Uncommon)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Cold Iron Based (Uncommon)
Disadvantage Points: 150
Cost Summary:Base Points:200Disadvantage Points: 150Experience Required: 295Total Experience Available: 295Total Character Cost: 645Height: 7' 4"Hair: BrownWeight: 540 lbsEyes: BrownAppearance: Personality: Quote:Background: Powers/Tactics: Campaign Use: I don't have much by way of background and I did think of the Exemplars when I was divying out the abilities. Might is a candidate for leadership but I think Cult will probably out do him...

Hmm, so powers are derived from magic. But do you need to study magic to effectively use your abilities? I'm assuming that there are wild talents who just have inherent abilities.

I think it would be neat, however, to limit it to real mages, with all the studying that entails. If someone wants to be a Brick as described above, he must engage all matter of study, sacrifice, and rituals to obtain said powers. It also gives each power a set of various magical limitations. Of course, you probably already decided something as big as this, worth mentioning though.

Anyway, so he's vulnerable to cold iron. Fey blood? If so, a Fey name makes sense; Oberon springs to mind.

Just a side note, i'm doing a sort of fey martial arts archer character. I wanted to take the disad about cold iron, but my GM said that there just wasn't enough of it out there to be a disad. So what he did was say I take more or less damage depending on how much raw iron is in a weapon... so the more refined the iron (like steel etc.) the less damage I'll take. I was fine with that, and it did make some sense. Just an idea...

Iron is certainly common enough to be worth a few points. "Uncommon" is very broad conceptually. Also, even a more scarce item will tend to show up fairly often once people realize you are vulnerable to it. When you dial in the commonality what you are really saying is how often you want to be disadvantaged by it.

Of course, the GM can certainly demure if he doesnt want to be forced to keep trying to work your foil into the story over and over again.

According to some definitions of "cold iron" as it relates to mythology, it's a much rarer substance; it's iron in its base form found in the earth (not produced from ore) which is pounded into shape without heating or forging into a weapon with mystical abilities. In this case it's a much rarer substance than forged or wrought iron.

Iron may be common "Killer Shrike", but many magical creature are vulnerable, not just to iron, but to "cold iron". That is, iron that has been "worked' (turned into a weapon or whatever) "cold" ie without being heated. THAT is going to be decidedly less common than plain old iron, especially in this day and age. This is , I believe, "St Barbara's" hundredth post by the way. Seems to have taken a long time (and the death of a computer) but I got here ! Hooray !

Yeah, I know "cold iron" is a little different than "iron", but still, it comes down to how often you want it to come up. Once the weakness is known, opponents will be digging up cold iron if they feel they need an edge, and whats the commonality of that? Commonality goes beyond scarcity is my point -- it has to do with how often it will come up in play and that can vary for the same material among many characters.