Re: Seacouver, Washington: take 3

About the swords: if there's going to be seven of them, then perhaps each

one can represent one of the Seven Deadly Sins, with each sword having

the power to impose character and personality traits appropriate to that

specific Sin -- which would make Lust and Wrath some pretty scary pieces

of steel.

Major Tom :eg:

The City of Seacouver doesn't have its own crime lab. Instead' date=' the Jefferson County Crime Lab, which is part of the sheriff's office, processes crime scenes in the city. All the lab's CSIs are sworn deputies.[/quote']

With the county seat in Port Townsend, I would imagine the sheriff's crime lab would be there as well. Which makes for a long, slow drive. And not all evidence is the sort to survive such a drive in good/useful shape.

Of course, the sheriff's office could've set up a second crime lab in/near Seacouver. :)

Though I'd just go and give the city its own crime lab, and easier to explain. YMMV.

BTW, I found what looks to me like the best fit to your description:

http://tinyurl.com/yqxj7w

It's on the Pacific Coast in Jefferson County (though just barely), with two rivers meeting, and the combo flowing a little way to the ocean.

Mind you, the coast there (as throughout Jefferson county and Clallam county to its north) is Bad News™ for ships, being full of rocks, massive kelp, and such. Also, most of that coast is a cliff.

Still, you can fudge things if you want. :) No reason not to channelize Fisher Rapids and cut across that big loop down into Grays Harbor County. :winkgrin:

So much for the idea of having Seacouver on the west coast.

I don't see why. A bit of dredging at you could have it where I suggested before. As for the crime lab; is there a reason you didn't ant it in Seacouver?

Guess it'll have to be in the Seattle area' date=' maybe in Kitsap County, near Basin City (aka Sin City).[/quote']

Um, the only Basin City I can find in Washington is way inland. About 25 miles due north of the Tri-Cities, and about half-a-dozen miles from the Columbia River.

I have three other places Seacouver could be' date=' both are in Washington State. First is Port Susan. Second is on Samish Bay. Third is on Bellingham Bay. Bellingham itself is the largest city in Whatcom County.[/quote']

Well, Port Susan has rather extensive tidal mud flats. Much worse, you can't get around the north end of Camano Island (that's not a channel, it's a flippin' stream), nor really around the north end of Whidbey Island (that channel is not names Deception Pass cause it's a cool name).

Samish Bay has plenty of mud flats too, but it's not as tucked away and inaccessible.

Frankly, Bellingham/Bellingham Bay sounds better to me. Except, of course, for being so far north of Snoqualmie Pass, which is the only really good way over the Cascades between the Frasier and Columbia Rivers.

Which leads me to a major question: Do you see Seacouver as replacing Seattle/Tacoma as the area's BIG city, or as a secondary city like Bremerton or Everett? In the latter case, put it where you want; secondary cities need only secondary reasons to exist where they do. ;)

In the former case, though, it's worth considering why Seattle (and Tacoma) are where they are. The three biggest reasons are (1) The Snoqualmie Pass (2) the "protected" waters of Puget Sound (which are not so protected as the first settlers and the 'boosters' thought they were; any time the winds are out of the south or the north--as they are in most storms--the protection isn't that great) and (3) the railroad builders wanted to say they were finished ASAP, so they were willing to stop when they reached the Sound.

Now, that third point is amenable to "what if" speculation. Specifically, if the railroads were taken all the way to the Pacific, they would certainly go to Aberdeen/Grays Harbor, which although it does have a lot of mud-flats could be dredged out. Indeed, the reason it isn't dredged in the Real World™ is that it's not profitable for a place with so little ocean-borne traffic. Change the second, the first will change. ;)

I hope some of this is helpful to you. :) Good luck on creating your setting. :thumbup:

I don't see why. A bit of dredging at you could have it where I suggested before. As for the crime lab; is there a reason you didn't ant it in Seacouver?

Um, the only Basin City I can find in Washington is way inland. About 25 miles due north of the Tri-Cities, and about half-a-dozen miles from the Columbia River.

Well, Port Susan has rather extensive tidal mud flats. Much worse, you can't get around the north end of Camano Island (that's not a channel, it's a flippin' stream), nor really around the north end of Whidbey Island (that channel is not names Deception Pass cause it's a cool name).

Samish Bay has plenty of mud flats too, but it's not as tucked away and inaccessible.

Frankly, Bellingham/Bellingham Bay sounds better to me. Except, of course, for being so far north of Snoqualmie Pass, which is the only really good way over the Cascades between the Frasier and Columbia Rivers.

Which leads me to a major question: Do you see Seacouver as replacing Seattle/Tacoma as the area's BIG city, or as a secondary city like Bremerton or Everett? In the latter case, put it where you want; secondary cities need only secondary reasons to exist where they do. ;)

In the former case, though, it's worth considering why Seattle (and Tacoma) are where they are. The three biggest reasons are (1) The Snoqualmie Pass (2) the "protected" waters of Puget Sound (which are not so protected as the first settlers and the 'boosters' thought they were; any time the winds are out of the south or the north--as they are in most storms--the protection isn't that great) and (3) the railroad builders wanted to say they were finished ASAP, so they were willing to stop when they reached the Sound.

Now, that third point is amenable to "what if" speculation. Specifically, if the railroads were taken all the way to the Pacific, they would certainly go to Aberdeen/Grays Harbor, which although it does have a lot of mud-flats could be dredged out. Indeed, the reason it isn't dredged in the Real World™ is that it's not profitable for a place with so little ocean-borne traffic. Change the second, the first will change. ;)

I hope some of this is helpful to you. :) Good luck on creating your setting. :thumbup:

Thanks, Basil. I'll give the stuff some thought. Oh, the Basin City I mentioned is from Frank Miller's Sin City.

Seacouver is definitely a secondary city.

I'm thinking of using Mayor and Mrs. Shin from The Music Man as the basis for the mayor and his wife. I'm also going to pull Ben Morgan from San Angelo and putting him in Seacouver.

M5 Industries, Inc. is based in Seattle, as is the Discovery Channel program MythBusters.

James Earl "Jamie" Hyneman and Adam John Savage are the hosts.

Salvatore "Tory" Belleci, Kari Elizabeth Byron, and Scottie Chapman are the co-hosts.

M5 electronics guru Christine Chamberlain and area stuntwoman Jessica Nelson are often seen on the show.

There are a number of airports near Seacouver. The only international airport is Sea-Tac (Seattle-Tacoma International Airport). Seacouver Airport is a general aviation facility. The largest FBO (fixed base operator) there is Skyhawks.

Seacouver's mayor is long winded and has a tendency to mangle the English language. His wife is a snob.