Seacouver, Washington: take 3

Mark Rand

Back again, with typos, another try at Seacouver, Washington. The URL for the wikipedia article on it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seacouver.

From Highlander: the series, we know that it's a port city with a nearby lighthouse. An international airport, a thoroughbred track, baseball field, and a domed arena are within the city, as is a university and a Catholic hospital with a level one trauma center.

Close to the city are forests and mountains (possibly the Olympic National Forest) and a still-active railroad.

I'm thinking of putting it on the Pacific Coast. It'll be a clean, modern city, like Millennium City without the ultra-tech touches.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Seacouver, Washington: take 3

Well, what you mention seems to feel like the Puget Sound area, where I'm lucky enough to live now, and the name is an obvious nod... I certainly vote for West Coast. (And Mariner's fans will be able to explain to you just how active the railroads still are in this area!)

Maybe a little Google Maps action could help you pick out a spot? Or you maybe more interested it having the location never quite nailed down?

Well, what you mention seems to feel like the Puget Sound area, where I'm lucky enough to live now, and the name is an obvious nod... I certainly vote for West Coast. (And Mariner's fans will be able to explain to you just how active the railroads still are in this area!)

Maybe a little Google Maps action could help you pick out a spot? Or you maybe more interested it having the location never quite nailed down?

I was thinking of locating the city south of Pacific Beach, but it could be within the bounds of the Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary, though, with the state parks, NWRs, and Indian reservations there, that seems doubtful.

Oh, the name is a nod to the city from Highlander: the series.

...or you could just rename Seattle "Seacouver" and run with it.

That's how I'd do it. Then any variations from real world geography, politics, etc. can be chalked up to it being a city similar to but not identical to our real-world Seattle. That allows you use lots of real world tools like maps and guide books when you choose, but you can still throw in a few interesting additions when the mood strikes.

That's how I'd do it. Then any variations from real world geography, politics, etc. can be chalked up to it being a city similar to but not identical to our real-world Seattle. That allows you use lots of real world tools like maps and guide books when you choose, but you can still throw in a few interesting additions when the mood strikes.

Repped. Very cool idea. I'll consider it.

Having a PRIMUS base in the city might bring the heroes into a few cases.

Guest Major Tom

Seacouver (at least your version of it) could also be home to the local

branch of a corporation -- for example, the one owned by Bruce Wayne

(I forget what it's called). This would allow the occasional "guest star"

appearance of a certain Darknight Detective in the area (of course,

precautions would have to be taken to ensure that absolutely no con-

nection whatsoever be made between Wayne's presence in Seacouver

and Batman's nocturnal activities).

In that same vein, Batman could be prowling the rooftops of Seacouver

during an investigation when his attention is drawn to a sudden lightning

storm coming from out of nowhere...

Major Tom :D

Seacouver (at least your version of it) could also be home to the local

branch of a corporation -- for example, the one owned by Bruce Wayne

(I forget what it's called). This would allow the occasional "guest star"

appearance of a certain Darknight Detective in the area (of course,

precautions would have to be taken to ensure that absolutely no con-

nection whatsoever be made between Wayne's presence in Seacouver

In that same vein, Batman could be prowling the rooftops of Seacouver

during an investigation when his attention is drawn to a sudden lightning

storm coming from out of nowhere...

I like the idea of corporations playing a role. (They certainly do in real life. And tech companies play such a big role here... or it certainly seems that they do.)

Boeing and Microsoft are in the news a heck of a lot here...

Seacouver (at least your version of it) could also be home to the local branch of a corporation -- for example, the one owned by Bruce Wayne (I forget what it's called). This would allow the occasional "guest star" appearance of a certain Darknight Detective in the area (of course, precautions would have to be taken to ensure that absolutely no connection whatsoever be made between Wayne's presence in Seacouver

In that same vein, Batman could be prowling the rooftops of Seacouver during an investigation when his attention is drawn to a sudden lightning storm coming from out of nowhere...

The company you're thinking of is Wayne Enterprises and the lightning bolt may be from a Quickening.

I enjoy pulling ideas from other sources and dropping them into the campaign. My version of UNTIL is based on UNIT from Dr. Who. VIPER is realistic instead of four-color, giving it an Iron Age feel. DEMON is a branch of our favorite evil law firm, Wolfram and Hart.

The Vice-President's daughter lives in the city with her mother's parents, both of which are eye doctors. She's also a high school student and one of the city's three Slayers.

Thanks to an agency like the NID from Stargate SG-1, the public knows that Immortals exist and who some of them are. Three that are known are Duncan MacLeod, Xena's friend, Gabrielle, and the Queen of Swords herself. Duncan owns a dojo while Gabrielle and Tessa teach high school. All are considered good. Joe Dawson's bar is considered the hottest place to hear cool jazz and meet Immortals. Dr. Anne Lindsey, a trauma surgeon at Mercy General Hospital, is the closest thing there is to an authority on Immortal medicine.

I like the idea of corporations playing a role. (They certainly do in real life. And tech companies play such a big role here... or it certainly seems that they do.)

Boeing and Microsoft are in the news a heck of a lot here...

The following five Fortune 500 companies are also based in Seattle :

Amazon

Starbucks

Nordstroms

Washington Mutual

Safeco

Guest Major Tom

The company you're thinking of is Wayne Enterprises and the lightning bolt may be from a Quickening.

I thought that Wayne Enterprises might be the corporation name, but

I wasn't absolutely sure. As for the lightning bolt, of course it's

from a Quickening. Speaking of which, since Immortals are known to

exist in your campaign universe, it's entirely possible that certain un-

scrupulous (and somewhat fanatical, in one case) individuals would

take a rather unhealthy interest in them as a means of furthering

their personal agendas. With regards to the (possible) Batman tie-in,

such a threat might very well take the form of Ra's Al Ghul. While not

a true (Highlander-style) Immortal, he's as close to one as can

be, at least while he has access to the Lazarus Pit.

Another idea that popped into my head has to do with local law en-

forcement and your penchant for dropping elements from TV and movies

into your campaigns. Since it's a given that PCs in any modern/super-

hero campaign tend to get themselves into situations where, whether

by accident or design, they interact with the minions of the law, you

could have them run into Detectives Ellison and Sandburg (if you're

the TV guru I think you are, you should have no problem guessing

what show these guys are from).

Major Tom :sneaky:

I thought that Wayne Enterprises might be the corporation name' date=' but I wasn't absolutely sure. As for the lightning bolt, of [i']course[/i] it's from a Quickening. Speaking of which, since Immortals are known to exist in your campaign universe, it's entirely possible that certain unscrupulous (and somewhat fanatical, in one case) individuals would take a rather unhealthy interest in them as a means of furthering their personal agendas. With regards to the (possible) Batman tie-in, such a threat might very well take the form of Ra's Al Ghul. While not

a true (Highlander-style) Immortal, he's as close to one as can be, at least while he has access to the Lazarus Pit.

Another idea that popped into my head has to do with local law enforcement and your penchant for dropping elements from TV and movies into your campaigns. Since it's a given that PCs in any modern/superhero campaign tend to get themselves into situations where, whether by accident or design, they interact with the minions of the law, you could have them run into Detectives Ellison and Sandburg (if you're the TV guru I think you are, you should have no problem guessing what show these guys are from).

Major Tom :sneaky:

The show is, I think, The Sentinel, which I never watched.

The NID is taking an unhealthy interest in Immortals, and getting trashed regularly.

I had the idea of Anne Lindsey secretly being a powerful angel. In addition to the normal powers of an angel, she can deny an Immortal the sanctuary of holy ground. Additionally, she can, as long as she wills it, transform normal ground to holy ground.

Done.

The Space Needle stays. Joe Dawson's bar is near the University of Washington, as is the mansion the superhero team calls home.

In that same vein, Batman could be prowling the rooftops of Seacouver during an investigation when his attention is drawn to a sudden lightning storm coming from out of nowhere...

Yeah.

He could also see it while heading, disguised as either Terry "Matches" Malone or some other hood, for Joe's. Upon entering, he'd see, among others, Joe (behind the bar), Duncan, Amanda, Anne, Tessa, Gabrielle, and a cute redhead.

He'd also hear the band, Jazz Angels, and watch Joe, with some help, deal with underage drinkers who are already drunk and using false IDs.

Oh, the band. Kate is Immortal and plays a top-of-the-line Korg Trinity keyboard. Lori, her Watcher, plays an upright bass. Barb is on drums, Sarah plays the sax, and Maxine and Susan sing.

You could do Seacover on the north California coast' date=' and get rid of that blasted everlasting rain. :D[/quote']

Or you could do it on the Olympic Peninsula (in the rainshadow of, I'm not kidding, Mt. Olympus) and get the same effect.

Of course, this would posit a large metropolis that doesn't exist there now...

You could do Seacover on the north California coast' date=' and get rid of that blasted everlasting rain. :D[/quote']

Or you could do it on the Olympic Peninsula (in the rainshadow of' date=' I'm not kidding, Mt. Olympus) and get the same effect. [/quote']

Um, I thought that's the rainiest part.

Of course' date=' this would posit a large metropolis that doesn't exist there now...[/quote']

Um, I think sinanju is the only one who wants a RealWorld city; everyone else is making a "large metropolis that doesn't exist". Which is way more fun anyway.

Since the University of Washington's football stadium is near Lake Washington, tailgate parties are often held on boats.

Basin City is 30 minutes from Seacouver, in Kitsap County. Since the government is corrupt, it's often known as Sin City.