Character Wuji

Certified

One martial artist coming up. Thought I would have some fun with the speed discussions going on recently. Wuji is missing a few skills I had originally wanted for him including Feint and Cryptology to represent his training in both martial arts and the Taoist philosophies. I also think I kind of skimmed over the Gao Style, Kun and Qian Trigram.

However I like how he turned out overall even if his defenses are a bit low, I'm hoping the combination of multiple defenses will compensate. Anyway, enjoy:

Wuji

Alternate IDs: Erik Troy

Value

Char

Base Cost Roll Notes

18 STR 10 8 13- 3 1/2d6 / 303.1kg

23 DEX 10 39 14-

18 CON 10 16 13-

18 BODY 10 16 13-

18 INT 10 8 13- PER Roll 13-

15 EGO 10 10 12-

13 PRE 10 3 12- 2 1/2d6

12 COM 10 1 11-

19 PD 4 0

19 ED 4 0

6 SPD 3. 3 27

8 REC 8 0

36 END 36 0

36 STUN 36 0

Movement

Running: 31"/62"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Leaping H: 3 1/2"

Leaping V: 1 1/2"

Teleporting: /20"

Basic Combat Stats

BaseOCV: 8

BaseDCV: 8

BaseECV: 5

Levels: +2 with HTH Combat, +1 with DCV

Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

19 PD (15 rPD)

19 ED (15 rED)

0 MD

0 PwrD

END: 36

STUN: 36

BODY: 18

Martial Arts

Maneuver

8 Qian Trigram (+2 HTH Damage Class(es))

Bāguàzhǎng-Shin

4 1) Killing Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, HKA 2d6

4 2) Martial Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 38 STR to Disarm

4 3) Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 7 1/2d6 Strike

3 4) Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 5 1/2d6 +v/5, Target Falls

5 5) Defensive Block: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, Block, Abort

3 6) Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 6 1/2d6 Strike, Target Falls

3 7) Takedown: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +1 DCV, 5 1/2d6 Strike; TargetFalls

Skills

10 Gao Style: +2 with HTH Combat

5 Kun Trigram: +1 with DCV

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Climbing 14-

3 Deduction 13-

3 Language: Cantonese (fluent conversation; literate)

0 Language: English (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points)

3 Language: Mandarin (fluent conversation; literate)

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Bāguàzhǎng (3 Active Points) 13-

2 2) KS: Chinese History (3 Active Points) 13-

4 3) KS: I Ching (5 Active Points) 15-

2 4) KS: Taoism (3 Active Points) 13-

3 Survival 13-

3 Tactics 13-

Talents

30 Combat Luck (15 PD/15 ED)

Powers 50 Yin Style: Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots Requires A Skill Roll (KN: I Ching; -1/2)

5u 1) Kan Trigram: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6-1 (2d6 w/STR), No Normal Defense ([standard]; Nerve Strike; +1), Does BODY (+1) (75 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (KN: I Ching; -1/2) vs PD. 7

3u 2) Gen Trigram: (Total: 70 Active Cost, 27 Real Cost) Energy Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Linked (Teleportation; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (KN: I Ching; -1/2) (Real Cost: 20) plus Teleportation 10" (20 Active Points); Linked (Energy Blast; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -3/4), Can Only Teleport To Floating Fixed Locations (Target of EB; -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (KN: I Ching; -1/2), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7) 7

4u 3) Zhèn Trigram: Telekinesis (40 STR) (60 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (KN: I Ching; -1/2) 6

5u 4) Xun Trigram : Energy Blast 5d6+1, Damage Shield (Offensive; +3/4), Continuous (+1) (74 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (KN: I Ching; -1/2) vs ED. [Notes: Wuji is bathed in an aura of fire that embraces him like wings from his shoulders.] 7

3u 5) Li Trigram: Running +25" (31" total) (50 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (KN: I Ching; -1/2) 5

3u 6) Dui Trigram: Energy Blast 4d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Double Knockback (+3/4), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (KN: I Ching; -1/2) vs PD. 6

16 Cheng Style: Find Weakness 13- with All Attacks (40 Active Points); Does Not Apply Against Certain Types Of Defenses Affects One Type Of Defense (Hard Armors; -1), Extra Time (Extra Segment, -1/2) 0

14 Liang Style: Multipower, 43-point reserve, (43 Active Points); OAF (Seven Star Staff; -1), Lockout (Yin Style; -1/2); all slots Requires A Skill Roll (KN: I Ching; -1/2)

1u 1) Liang Style: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8 1/2d6 (43 Active Points); OAF (Qi Xing Gan - Seven Star Stick; -1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Lockout (Yin Style; -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (KN: I Ching; -1/2)

2u 2) Liang Style: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3 1/2d6, Hole In The Middle (+1/4), Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1) (40 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (KN: I Ching; -1/2) 4

Disadvantages

Dependence: Meditation Powers Gain 14- Activation Roll (Very Common, 1 Turn) [Notes: Wuji must meditate for 1 hour each day when he wakes up to purify his spirit and prepare his body. ] 25

Distinctive Features: White Hair and Green Eyes (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses) 5

Hunted: Clan of Five Tigers 11- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish) [Notes: Members of the Five Schools of Bāguàzhǎng they seek to eliminate those who seek to kill Wuji as an outsider not privileged to the honor of studying under the One True Master. ] 20

Watching: GEO 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching) 15

Psychological Limitation: Must master the Five Styles of Bāguàzhǎng-Shin (Common, Strong) 15

Psychological Limitation: Perfectionist (Common, Moderate) 10

Psychological Limitation: Code Against Killing (Common, Moderate) 10

Rivalry: Professional (Han Yin � Pupil of Haichuan cast out before Wuji arrived.; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Harm or Kill Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry) 10

Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Many Enemies) Frequently (11-), Severe 20

Social Limitation: Harmful Secret (Frequently, Severe) [Notes: Wuji has trained under the last surviving master of Bāguàzhǎng-Shin and knows his current location. ] 20

Character Costs

Characteristics: 128

Martial Arts: 34

Skills: 52

Perks: 0

Talents: 30

Powers: 106

Base Points: 200

Disadvantages: 150

Unspent Exp: 0

Spent Exp: 0

Total: 350

Character Information

Height: 1.85 m

Hair: White

Weight: 97.00 kg

Eyes: Green

Appearance: With jade green eyes and silvery white hair Erik’s appearance is striking. Erik was born with naturally blue eyes, as he matured they slowly changed color along with his hair. Normally he wears loose fitting slacks and open collared shirt. Before any conflict, he will remove the shirt if given the opportunity. After the altercation in Shanghai he has learned that it is best to keep his identity a secret and commonly uses a simple ceramic mask over his eyes when acting as Wuji and a brown wig as Erik.

Background: When Erik was a child he was taken to China with his parents for a business conference. As a small child he did not understand that sometimes businessmen had to work with less than reputable people to accomplish their goals. On their second night both of Erik’s parents were slain. The child was taken by Triad assassins. Kept for months caged like a dog Erik was eventually sold.

Taken to the SacredMountains and delivered to an elderly man to be a servant. Erik spent the next twenty years under Haichuan the last surviving master of the Bāguàzhǎng-Shin. Between his chores he studied the master’s every action along with his apprentice Han Yin.

He watched and learned, practiced their every action. When they fought he understood. Yin sought only the power of the Bāguàzhǎng-Shin and had no understanding of the true teachings. When Han Yin betrayed Haichuan Erik intervened. Tricking him the child lured him to unsure footing and forced him over the cliff side. Erik was twelve at the time.

Grateful Haichuan accepted the child as his new pupil. The venerable master found himself surprised to see how much the boy had learned from observation. It pleased him to see the western boy take to the Bāguàzhǎng-Shin and the Taoist principles. Each form coming naturally to him.

During this time Erik continued his duties as a servant. His loyalty to his master aside he did not wish to see another forced into slavery. When a child arrived delivered by the Triads he was outraged. Faced with his failure as a student and having forced another boy into servitude he confronted Haichuan. His master told him simply, the boy was already a slave here he may at least find peace with his duties. It was time for Erik’s true training to begin.

He would grow to be a man learning to manipulate his chi in the sixty four stances of Bāguàzhǎng-Shin. Honing his body, Eric pushed himself past the perceived limits of the human mind. On the twentieth anniversary of his arrival master Haichuan bestowed upon him the name Wuji, for it was the virtue he could not master.

To know when to act and when not to act, a principle teaching that Erik both exemplified and struggled to understand. Master Haichuan sent Erik to find the mastery he could not teach. Sending him from the SacredMountains, Erik would have to find his own destiny.

Lost Erik followed the route through the mountains unsure where to go or how to attain his goal. It wasn’t long before he found himself floating through underground areas using the name Wuji. His skills unmatched it wasn’t long before he drew the attention of those he remembered to well. Outside a cheep hotel in Shanghai Erik was attacked by several members of the local Triad. They attacked with guns. He killed them with a rage he did not know he had. For a brief moment he was not Wuji he was the scared child abandoned by his father’s foolish ambition. It was then he understood what he needed to do.

Buried within him was a rage even he had not understood; the sense of betrayal by his parents and the fear of those months in captivity. If he was to understand Wuji he would first have to make peace with his past.

Piecing together memories now over twenty years old Erik found his way to Hong Kong and eventually back to the states. He knows his father worked for a company named Global Environmental Operations. He has yet to find anything on his mother. It was as if she never existed. As he seeks to understand his past he also finds himself plagued by the guilt of his own crimes.

Personality: Pragmatic he sees the crimes of others as both a way to atone as well a method to continue his training. From stopping street crime to hunting down the American crime lords he sees each battle as a challenge and another step towards his goals.

Quote: “If that is your choice so be it. Defend yourself with dignity.”

Re: Character Wuji

His OCV & DCV do seem a bit low for a pure martial artist, but not too too low. I normally don't consider 19 PD/19 ED low defenses for an MA; it seems just about average for the ones I've seen.

Overall a very nice character, if perhaps stretched a bit much in the Martial Maneuvers department. I'd go for fewer maneuvers; more Levels; especially with all those powerful attacks in the MP.

I don't think you really need to make Liang Style a seperate multipower instead of just putting the attacks in the existing multi and giving the slots OAF. Is it really imporant to be able to use your area attack with your super-running (which is pretty much the only functionality you would lose)? You could use the spare points to shore up his CVs and defenses, or just give him some other weird power.

He seems like he's intended to be a toolbox-type character, but he can't really do anything other than beat you up in fifty different ways. At least he has a movement power, something a lot of beatstick-makers forget about.

I agree that Wuji is stretched very thin. Giving him a base of common maneuvers that a "real" martial artist might have in addition to his super level abilities does seem a bit redundant. I started with the martial maneuvers to represent the first levels of his training and what a normal person might archive.

The real world Bāguàzhǎng is divided into the different styles based on the original Haichuan's students. In trying to have each of these styles accounted for the point crunch came in and there was a lot more I would have liked to have done. However, this is why I separated out the Yin Style and the Liang Style.

As for OCV/DCV I know there's the ongoing debate on what is super Dex and SPD. The fact that all the supers listed in 5th edition revised all have Dexterities above 20 and Speeds 5 or 6 doesn't help.

My take on this was to start Wuji at what could be considered near the peak of normal human performance. What I would like to do if this character saw game play would be to focus on rounding things off. Bringing the other styles to be on par with the Yin Style and increasing his Dexterity.

Wuji is at the beginning of his career as a hero and has lots of room to grow. There is the feeling that a martial artist should really go for high CVs but to stay true to the background I wanted to make sure each of the Styles and Trigrams were represented.

Notes on the Martial Art and Styles:

Not all of the powers, skills and maneuvers match exactly to the real Bāguàzhǎng. However, I wanted to have some fun with the concept of a "super" martial art that felt fully fleshed out and I think it would have been difficult to avoid this. The history behind Bāguàzhǎng really appealed to me for this. From what I read the full martial art was never passed on, only portions of it. The various styles listed for Wuji are the styles taught by Haichuan's first students.

- - -

Wow, after looking over that post let me just thank you all for taking the time to read over the character. Just from looking at the material provided these are all very valid suggestions and I do appreciate the criticism. I do hope you enjoyed reading through the character as much as I enjoyed creating him.