Recoil and 2 Weapons

Eldyn

Hi all

Has anyone done anything interesting with recoil ? I am starting a new campaign and was going to use the rule out of DC increasing the STR Min by 2 for every shot fired. Then a player threw me a curve (as usual). He wants to duel wield 50 cal pistols and with that rule he can get 4 or more shots off with both guns before taking any real heavy recoil penalty.

That simply breaks my reality check meter.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Mark

Re: Recoil and 2 Weapons

Using a single hand (or arm) lower's the STR by half (-5 STR).

If the character has a 15 STR and is using a weapon in each hand, he can only apply a 10 STR to each weapon. If the weapons have STR Mins of 13 (or more) he could be in for a bit of trouble.

Hmmm. ReFREd, p 479 'If the character uses a hand-and-a-half weapon one-handed, -1 OCV and +2 STR Min. If the character uses a two-handed weapon one-handed, -2 OCV and +3 STR Min.'

Well, my off-the-top-of-my-head response was pretty close. :)

I would say that there are some weapons that are definitely two handed and a .50 cal pistol is DEFINITELY one of them.

Sage, he can use Rapid Fire I think to get more than one attack with each gun I think.

I missed the reduction in STR for using one hand Rapier, thanks. I'm not sure I can push that as a 2H weapon since it doesn't say it on the weapon chart though.

If I recall correctly, there is little or no distinction made in Hero for types of actions and their limitations on number of shots fired in a phase. A case could be made for two-handed operation of a .50 AE (assuming he's talking desert eagles), but it can be fired one-handed since it doesn't have the limitation.

And, in the case of reality check, it CAN be fired one-handed. I shoot my .44 Magnum one-handed all the time, and the .50 AE isn't supposed to be too much stouter, and its in a reciprocating action, thus dulling the recoil impulse anyway. I will say this, it has a HUGE grip, though.

Rapid fire is your friend, but remember that those penalties are quite stout. He shouldn't be shooting them straight up, and rapid firing two of them just makes the penalties larger, as the penalties stack.

I guess the question is how "real" do you want our game. Me personally, being a huge fan of HK heroic bloodshed films and the RPG Feng Shui don't see an issue with rapidfiring two handguns, even of they are .50 DEs.

I suppose upping the STR Mins based on shots fired would work, to simulate how hard it is to control the weapon when you're firing that fast.

If I recall correctly' date=' there is little or no distinction made in Hero for types of actions and their limitations on number of shots fired in a phase. A case could be made for two-handed operation of a .50 AE (assuming he's talking desert eagles), but it can be fired one-handed since it doesn't have the limitation.[/quote']

The original Golden Age of Champions had some rules (and limitations) dealing with different types of actions. You can simulate this with Extra Time, I think.

The original Golden Age of Champions had some rules (and limitations) dealing with different types of actions. You can simulate this with Extra Time' date=' I think.[/quote']

Honestly, I never cared for that because it usually isn't a factor. I've seen people shoot single action colts as fast as others could shoot 1911s, so its all silly. Unless the action is extraordinarily clunky, like muzzle loaders and certain bolt actions, I don't see the point of even bothering with it. I'm also a fan of the HK action film genre, so I don't even care if you use charges and "clips." =)

Honestly' date=' I never cared for that because it usually isn't a factor. I've seen people shoot single action colts as fast as others could shoot 1911s, so its all silly. Unless the action is extraordinarily clunky, like muzzle loaders and certain bolt actions, I don't see the point of even bothering with it. I'm also a fan of the HK action film genre, so I don't even care if you use charges and "clips." =)[/quote']

IIRC, the limitation mostly applied to bolt-action rifles. I own the book, so if someone wants to see it, I can dig it out and type up a brief synopsis of the Limitations used.

IIRC' date=' the limitation mostly applied to bolt-action rifles. I own the book, so if someone wants to see it, I can dig it out and type up a brief synopsis of the Limitations used.[/quote']

Sure, can't hurt, and would be nice in simulating certain firearms.

Found it:

Revolver (-1/4): Revolvers can't take a silencer, you can only reload one round per 1/2 Phase, have exposed rounds, and are prone to jamming due to dirt and so on.

That's it. There are comments on how long it takes to reload a weapon, with most firearms taking 1/2 Phase per round (less if you're using a clip, belt, or magazine).

I'll note that "Revolver" has been replaced with "Real Weapon" (-1/4).

There are scattered other modifiers for various weapons, and the like, but all of them are now very out-of-date, and have been replaced by what you'd find in 5th Edition Dark Champions or the core rulebook.